"Pocket Camera"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Sivori, May 22, 2006.

  1. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    A popular phrase for small point and shoot cameras is "pocket camera".
    I've seen a number of posts in this newsgroup that indicates this is a
    literal use (as opposed to say, a pocket battleship), that is, they
    actually put the camera in their pocket on a routine basis.

    Now to my question, my FinePix F10 fits reasonable well in a pants pocket,
    especially if the clothing is question is loose fitting.

    But I have two concerns. The owner's guide warns that if the on button is
    pressed, and the lens is physically blocked, the camera will be damaged.
    Second, pockets (mine anyway) tend to be relatively dirty, with a fair
    amount of lint, fibers and dust.

    To protect the lens extension mechanism, is it best to remove the battery
    before putting the camera in their pocket?

    Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way into the
    camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul the lens
    extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of machinery, or
    get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.

    I know my camera is an inexpensive model, but it is a fairly major
    indulgence for me and I don't want to break it.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, May 22, 2006

  2. Tony Sivori

    Peter Guest

    Tony Sivori wrote:

    > Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way into the
    > camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul the lens
    > extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of machinery, or
    > get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.

    You can get a case for your camera to protect it when it is in your
    pocket.
    Fuji makes a leather case specifically for your camera which is listed
    as in stock at Adorama. (B&H list it as out of stock) You can probably
    also find a generic case of about the right size without trouble.

    Peter.
    Peter, May 22, 2006

  3. Tony Sivori wrote:
    > A popular phrase for small point and shoot cameras is "pocket camera".
    > I've seen a number of posts in this newsgroup that indicates this is a
    > literal use (as opposed to say, a pocket battleship), that is, they
    > actually put the camera in their pocket on a routine basis.
    >
    > Now to my question, my FinePix F10 fits reasonable well in a pants
    > pocket, especially if the clothing is question is loose fitting.
    >
    > But I have two concerns. The owner's guide warns that if the on
    > button is pressed, and the lens is physically blocked, the camera
    > will be damaged. Second, pockets (mine anyway) tend to be relatively
    > dirty, with a fair amount of lint, fibers and dust.
    >
    > To protect the lens extension mechanism, is it best to remove the
    > battery before putting the camera in their pocket?
    >
    > Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way
    > into the camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul
    > the lens extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of
    > machinery, or get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.
    >
    > I know my camera is an inexpensive model, but it is a fairly major
    > indulgence for me and I don't want to break it.

    I make chamois leather bags for all my cameras and other digital stuff. Most
    of these are either fleece or velvet lined. It's not that difficult, and the
    top opening can be either elasticated or touch-an-close fastening. All you
    need is a spanking-new chamois skin and some fleece. You can hand stitch or
    machine stitch them. Resist the temptation to fit them skin-tight, and leave
    at least 1" all round for seams and the lining bulk.
    Dennis Pogson, May 22, 2006
  4. Tony Sivori

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tony Sivori wrote:
    > A popular phrase for small point and shoot cameras is "pocket camera".
    > I've seen a number of posts in this newsgroup that indicates this is a
    > literal use (as opposed to say, a pocket battleship), that is, they
    > actually put the camera in their pocket on a routine basis.
    >
    > Now to my question, my FinePix F10 fits reasonable well in a pants pocket,
    > especially if the clothing is question is loose fitting.
    >
    > But I have two concerns. The owner's guide warns that if the on button is
    > pressed, and the lens is physically blocked, the camera will be damaged.
    > Second, pockets (mine anyway) tend to be relatively dirty, with a fair
    > amount of lint, fibers and dust.
    >
    > To protect the lens extension mechanism, is it best to remove the battery
    > before putting the camera in their pocket?
    >
    > Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way into the
    > camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul the lens
    > extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of machinery, or
    > get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.
    >
    > I know my camera is an inexpensive model, but it is a fairly major
    > indulgence for me and I don't want to break it.

    If you are concerned about dust, you could get a small bag to put the
    camera in before putting it in your pocket. As for the power problem,
    if the power can get turned on in your pocket, yes, remove the battery.
    Perhaps a small belt pouch would work for you.
    Ron Hunter, May 22, 2006
  5. Tony Sivori

    Pat Guest

    I don't know, but you should definately solve the problem or then next
    thing you know, you'll hit the power button, the lens will extend, and
    someone will say, "is that a camera in your pocket or are you just glad
    to see me?". That might get you in trouble if you are on a
    construction site, around longshoremen, etc. etc.
    Pat, May 22, 2006
  6. Tony Sivori

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 03:31:34 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > If you are concerned about dust, you could get a small bag to put the
    > camera in before putting it in your pocket. As for the power problem,
    > if the power can get turned on in your pocket, yes, remove the battery.
    > Perhaps a small belt pouch would work for you.

    I've fixed radios and flashlights that were too easily turned on
    by accidentally touching hair-trigger power buttons while in a
    pocket by attaching a slightly raised barrier around the button.
    I've usually used material that had adhesive on one side, such as
    rubber protectors and felt pad strips. If you find a neoprene
    washer of the right diameter and thickness that would probably be
    better, but you'd have to add your own glue. You might even fashion
    your own using a tube of silicone sealer. The stuff has a very long
    life, is water and heat resistant, yet can be easily removed
    (without tools - just peel it off) should you ever need to do so.
    It just needs a day or two to fully cure, at which point it's
    somewhat like rubber, and easily trimmed with a razor blade.
    ASAAR, May 22, 2006
  7. Tony Sivori

    Joan Guest

    What about a corn pad?

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, May 22, 2006
  8. Tony Sivori

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 22:33:57 +1000, Joan wrote:

    > What about a corn pad?

    If it's the right size and shape it might work, unless they're too
    soft and compressible, in which case the corn pad would be
    defeated. :)
    ASAAR, May 22, 2006
  9. Tony Sivori wrote:
    > A popular phrase for small point and shoot cameras is "pocket camera".
    > I've seen a number of posts in this newsgroup that indicates this is a
    > literal use (as opposed to say, a pocket battleship), that is, they
    > actually put the camera in their pocket on a routine basis.
    >
    > Now to my question, my FinePix F10 fits reasonable well in a pants pocket,
    > especially if the clothing is question is loose fitting.
    >
    > But I have two concerns. The owner's guide warns that if the on button is
    > pressed, and the lens is physically blocked, the camera will be damaged.
    > Second, pockets (mine anyway) tend to be relatively dirty, with a fair
    > amount of lint, fibers and dust.
    >
    > To protect the lens extension mechanism, is it best to remove the battery
    > before putting the camera in their pocket?
    >
    > Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way into the
    > camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul the lens
    > extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of machinery, or
    > get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.
    >
    > I know my camera is an inexpensive model, but it is a fairly major
    > indulgence for me and I don't want to break it.

    In a pinch, I have carried my camera in a zip lock sandwich bag.
    HTH,
    EJ in NJ
    Ernie Willson, May 22, 2006
  10. Tony Sivori

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:03:28 -0400, Ernie Willson
    <> wrote:

    >Tony Sivori wrote:
    >> A popular phrase for small point and shoot cameras is "pocket camera".
    >> I've seen a number of posts in this newsgroup that indicates this is a
    >> literal use (as opposed to say, a pocket battleship), that is, they
    >> actually put the camera in their pocket on a routine basis.
    >>
    >> Now to my question, my FinePix F10 fits reasonable well in a pants pocket,
    >> especially if the clothing is question is loose fitting.
    >>
    >> But I have two concerns. The owner's guide warns that if the on button is
    >> pressed, and the lens is physically blocked, the camera will be damaged.
    >> Second, pockets (mine anyway) tend to be relatively dirty, with a fair
    >> amount of lint, fibers and dust.
    >>
    >> To protect the lens extension mechanism, is it best to remove the battery
    >> before putting the camera in their pocket?
    >>
    >> Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way into the
    >> camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul the lens
    >> extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of machinery, or
    >> get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.
    >>
    >> I know my camera is an inexpensive model, but it is a fairly major
    >> indulgence for me and I don't want to break it.
    >>

    >In a pinch, I have carried my camera in a zip lock sandwich bag.
    >HTH,
    >EJ in NJ

    A new sock, nylon for preference, makes a good
    camera pocket bag.
    irwell, May 23, 2006
  11. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Tony Sivori wrote:
    >>
    >> Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way into
    >> the camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul the lens
    >> extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of machinery, or
    >> get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.

    > You can get a case for your camera to protect it when it is in your
    > pocket.
    > Fuji makes a leather case specifically for your camera which is listed as
    > in stock at Adorama. (B&H list it as out of stock) You can probably also
    > find a generic case of about the right size without trouble.

    Not a bad idea. Although a $40 case for a $200 camera is a little on the
    pricey side for me.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, May 23, 2006
  12. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    irwell wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:03:28 -0400, Ernie Willson <>
    > wrote:
    >>>

    >>In a pinch, I have carried my camera in a zip lock sandwich bag. HTH,
    >>EJ in NJ

    > A new sock, nylon for preference, makes a good
    > camera pocket bag.

    The frugal solutions. I like it.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, May 23, 2006
  13. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > I don't know, but you should definately solve the problem or then next
    > thing you know, you'll hit the power button, the lens will extend, and
    > someone will say, "is that a camera in your pocket or are you just glad
    > to see me?". That might get you in trouble if you are on a construction
    > site, around longshoremen, etc. etc.

    If I'm lucky they will be too busy laughing at my one inch bulge to beat
    me to death.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, May 23, 2006
  14. Tony Sivori

    cjcampbell Guest

    Tony Sivori wrote:
    > A popular phrase for small point and shoot cameras is "pocket camera".
    > I've seen a number of posts in this newsgroup that indicates this is a
    > literal use (as opposed to say, a pocket battleship), that is, they
    > actually put the camera in their pocket on a routine basis.
    >
    > Now to my question, my FinePix F10 fits reasonable well in a pants pocket,
    > especially if the clothing is question is loose fitting.
    >
    > But I have two concerns. The owner's guide warns that if the on button is
    > pressed, and the lens is physically blocked, the camera will be damaged.
    > Second, pockets (mine anyway) tend to be relatively dirty, with a fair
    > amount of lint, fibers and dust.

    Yeah, pockets are dirty, but that is not the worst of it. Your keys,
    coins, and everything else will scratch the camera all up. Granted, it
    probably will not harm the camera's performance, but why do it? I like
    little belt pouches for pocket cameras. One of these should not run you
    more than $15.
    cjcampbell, May 23, 2006
  15. Tony Sivori

    Joan Guest

    I think the only problem might be the hole size which might be too
    small, but some scissors might fix that.

    --
    Joan

    Joan, May 23, 2006
  16. Tony Sivori

    Pat Guest

    That's a good idea. Another possibility would be to build up a bead of
    hot glue.
    Pat, May 23, 2006
  17. Tony Sivori

    EF in FLA Guest

    > To protect the lens extension mechanism, is it best to remove the battery
    > before putting the camera in their pocket?

    Nah, that defeats the purpose of having a handy, loaded camera in your
    pocket. I've carried small Canon digi's in my pockets for years and never
    once hit the power button. I wouldn't sweat it.

    ef
    EF in FLA, May 24, 2006
  18. Tony Sivori

    Guest

    My Pentax Optio 'S' has powered on while in my pocket. The lens simply
    retracts when it hits an obstruction (my pocket) and the camera powers
    off. Now that's what I call SMART!

    Tony Sivori wrote:
    > A popular phrase for small point and shoot cameras is "pocket camera".
    > I've seen a number of posts in this newsgroup that indicates this is a
    > literal use (as opposed to say, a pocket battleship), that is, they
    > actually put the camera in their pocket on a routine basis.
    >
    > Now to my question, my FinePix F10 fits reasonable well in a pants pocket,
    > especially if the clothing is question is loose fitting.
    >
    > But I have two concerns. The owner's guide warns that if the on button is
    > pressed, and the lens is physically blocked, the camera will be damaged.
    > Second, pockets (mine anyway) tend to be relatively dirty, with a fair
    > amount of lint, fibers and dust.
    >
    > To protect the lens extension mechanism, is it best to remove the battery
    > before putting the camera in their pocket?
    >
    > Second, is the lint, fibers, dust and dirt likely to make its way into the
    > camera and harm the camera? I'm worried that it might foul the lens
    > extension, which appears to be a fairly precision piece of machinery, or
    > get past the lens cover with obvious bad consequences.
    >
    > I know my camera is an inexpensive model, but it is a fairly major
    > indulgence for me and I don't want to break it.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Sivori
    , May 24, 2006