    (" followed by an @ and then " is not part of the address; but @ is, of
    course)
    , Mar 13, 2006

  2. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I need an A4/Letter size flatbed scanner which is very fast in
    > scanning in grayscale at 300 dpi. I would find it great to scan an A4
    > page (grayscale 300 dpi) in, say, less than 5 seconds.
    > I'm not interested in color scanning, and I'd like not to spend too
    > much money.
    > Can somebody suggest me some scanner fulfilling my needs?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    > Bye.
    >
    > My e-mail is:
    > my.address.is.nice followed by an @ and then gmail.com
    > (" followed by an @ and then " is not part of the address; but @ is, of
    > course)

    Fast scanning also depends on the speed of the CPU. If the scanner uses
    USB or Firewire. Check out these options first.
    Stewy, Mar 14, 2006

  3. budgie Guest

    On 13 Mar 2006 15:13:39 -0800, wrote:

    > I need an A4/Letter size flatbed scanner which is very fast in
    >scanning in grayscale at 300 dpi. I would find it great to scan an A4
    >page (grayscale 300 dpi) in, say, less than 5 seconds.
    > I'm not interested in color scanning, and I'd like not to spend too
    >much money.
    > Can somebody suggest me some scanner fulfilling my needs?

    IMOE the sort of data rate that would meet your 5 second target requires either
    USB2 or the Firewire equivalent. It also requires a fairly decent processor in
    your pea-sea or the scanner will pause numerous times during the scan.

    I personally use an old Canon N670 series (USB1.1) on a P3-666, which suits my
    needs but reinforces the above. If I ever needed another scanner, it would be
    Canon.
    budgie, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Danny Guest

    are you intending to scan documents? if there's an ADF capable of
    feeding very reliably as well as quickly, would you still really need a
    flatbed for anything?

    The range documents that the ADF I'm thinking of can handle with no
    problems is anthing from NCR (like rice paper) to embossed cards (i.e.
    credit cards).

    Danny
    Danny, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Guest

    My computer is a good one, with a good processor. I have USB2, but I'm
    afraid I don't have Firewire (anyway, I could buy expansion cards).
    Thank you for your answer.
    , Mar 15, 2006
  6. Guest

    , Mar 15, 2006
  7. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I do need a flatbed, since I have to handle bound books.
    > (But unfortunately I can't afford scanners like this...

    There's an Epson (?) scanner which isn't too expensive and whose glass
    goes right up to the edge for scanning bound books. You can also use
    a digicam, with not-as-good-as-a-scanner results.
    Paul Rubin, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Guest

    I've heard of the scanner whose glass goes right up to the edge... But
    I don't find that feature so interesting.
    I just want speed! :)
    , Mar 15, 2006
  9. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I've heard of the scanner whose glass goes right up to the edge... But
    > I don't find that feature so interesting.
    > I just want speed! :)

    Scanners without that feature have trouble scanning near the center of
    the book. If you want speed, use a camera, or chop the spine off the
    book and use a sheet fed scanner.
    Paul Rubin, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Guest

    > Scanners without that feature have trouble scanning near the center of
    > the book.

    Yes, I know... But, for most books, a normal flatbed is ok.

    > If you want speed, use a camera, or chop the spine off the
    > book and use a sheet fed scanner.

    I'm asking info on flatbed scanners, not on cameras or on smashing
    books.
    :)
    , Mar 15, 2006
  11. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 02:34:47 -0800, my.address.is.nice wrote:

    >> Scanners without that feature have trouble scanning near the center of
    >> the book.

    > Yes, I know... But, for most books, a normal flatbed is ok.
    >

    >> If you want speed, use a camera, or chop the spine off the
    >> book and use a sheet fed scanner.

    > I'm asking info on flatbed scanners, not on cameras or on smashing
    > books.
    > :)

    If this help doesn't suit you try google.
    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply by email
    Neil Ellwood, Mar 15, 2006
  12. Guest

    wrote:

    > I need an A4/Letter size flatbed scanner which is very fast in
    > scanning in grayscale at 300 dpi. I would find it great to scan an A4
    > page (grayscale 300 dpi) in, say, less than 5 seconds.
    > I'm not interested in color scanning, and I'd like not to spend too
    > much money.
    > Can somebody suggest me some scanner fulfilling my needs?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    > Bye.
    >
    > My e-mail is:
    > my.address.is.nice followed by an @ and then gmail.com
    > (" followed by an @ and then " is not part of the address; but @ is, of
    > course)

    Hi!
    I want more answers, please! :)

    MyAddr
    , Mar 25, 2006
  13. J. Clarke Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I need an A4/Letter size flatbed scanner which is very fast in
    >> scanning in grayscale at 300 dpi. I would find it great to scan an A4
    >> page (grayscale 300 dpi) in, say, less than 5 seconds.
    >> I'm not interested in color scanning, and I'd like not to spend too
    >> much money.
    >> Can somebody suggest me some scanner fulfilling my needs?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.
    >> Bye.
    >>
    >> My e-mail is:
    >> my.address.is.nice followed by an @ and then gmail.com
    >> (" followed by an @ and then " is not part of the address; but @ is, of
    >> course)

    > Hi!
    > I want more answers, please! :)

    Nikon D200 with a 60mm micro-nikkor will do that just fine <g>.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Mar 28, 2006