Plustek OpticFilm 7200dpi (optical resolution) 35mm dedicated film scanner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Street, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    From: Joe Cash ()
    Subject: Re: what dpi for scanning film negatives ?
    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    Date: 2004-09-02 13:16:32 PST

    Chris Street wrote:
    > I've heard the new Plustek Opticfilm 7200 scans at 7200dpi true
    > optical resolution. Has anyone use it for scanning negs?
    > http://tinyurl.com/4a3h2
    >
    > Chris Street

    I've also heard that Santa Claus actually lives with the elves in the
    North Pole.

    7200dpi true optical resolution? Some guys will beleive anything. P.T.
    Barnum would have like to do business with you.

    Amateur Photographer, Practical Photographer, Digital Photo have
    tested the OpticFilm 7200 and confirm it is a true optical 7200dpi
    resolution. Amateur Photographer said (i quote the 9th October issue)
    'a groundbreaking 7200dpi optical resolution capable of transforming a
    35mm frame into a 300ppi image measuring 34'x22.5' (86x57cm) - A1 in
    paper sizes - or a small section enlarged to fit an A3 print'

    and Amateur Photographer says

    'For perhaps the first time we are seeing an eminently usable scanner
    at a price that the consumer can genuinely afford, and for this,
    Plustek should receive a standing ovation'

    DataMind have all the reviews: http://tinyurl.com/6k76b

    Can you bring P.T. Barnum along for tea?

    Chris Street

    Chris Street, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Chris Street

    Guest

    Chris Street <> wrote:
    > From: Joe Cash ()

    > > 7200dpi true optical resolution? Some guys will beleive anything. P.T.
    > > Barnum would have like to do business with you.

    > Amateur Photographer, Practical Photographer, Digital Photo have
    > tested the OpticFilm 7200 and confirm it is a true optical 7200dpi
    > resolution.

    Actually, I don't think they did. As far as I can tell from the
    review, AP didn't actually measure the resolution of the scanner.
    Given that a real 7200 ppi is such an astonishing claim, it's
    surprising that thy couldn't find out for sure.

    > Amateur Photographer said (i quote the 9th October issue) 'a
    > groundbreaking 7200dpi optical resolution capable of transforming a
    > 35mm frame into a 300ppi image measuring 34'x22.5' (86x57cm) - A1 in
    > paper sizes - or a small section enlarged to fit an A3 print'

    Which is a really strange thing to say -- that corresponds to
    resolution on the film of 140 lp/mm. Now, I know that Zeiss claim [1]
    to have bettered that with special lenses, tech pan, and high contrast
    targets. Back in the real world, where contrast is much lower, colour
    film runs at 40-60 lpmm.

    Andrew.

    [1] http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9/allBySubject/48D8F331DF48EE72C1256CEF002B0240

    , Oct 25, 2004

  3. Chris Street

    gsum Guest

    I wouldn't trust a word that AP says about digital. Their reviews of the
    D100 and the recently released Epson flatbed (both products that
    I'm very familiar with) were inaccurate and shoddy pieces of work.
    AP's statement that a 35mm frame can be transformed into a 300ppi
    image measuring 34'x22.5' (86x57cm) is another demonstration that
    they don't know what they're talking about.

    Graham

    gsum, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    AP uses this reasoning. But is it correct reasoning?

    If I buy a 7200 dpi resolution scanner (Plustek OpticFilm 7200) what
    size prints can I produce from a full frame 35mm film?

    Answer: 34" x 23" (A1 size)

    The Maths! 1"=25.4mm. A 35mm film is 36.5 x 24.2mm = 1.44" x 0.95".
    Assuming that you require 'magazine quality' output then print should
    be output at 300 pixels per inch. 1.44" length film when scanned at
    7200 dpi gives 10368 pixels. 0.95" width film when scanned at 7200 dpi
    gives 6840 pixels. Output at 300 pixels per inch gives a print of 34.5
    " (10368/300) x 22.8" (6840/300) - about A1 size. (A1 = 33" x 23.4")

    Chris Street, DataMind
    www.datamind.co.uk

    Chris Street, Oct 30, 2004