    how it finally got resolved. Eventually, FF recognized QT.

    Any ideas on what I should check or do to get FF to recognize an installed
    plugin?

    Dave Zass, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Dave Zass

    Charles Guest

    Charles, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Dave Zass

    Dave Zass Guest

    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216

    Thanks, good site. Unfortunately, still doesn't work. I had the same
    problem months ago, not sure how I resolved it then.

    I've uninstalled/reinstalled QT 6.5.1 3 times. After each time, I clear out
    all references to QT in the registry.

    It definitely installs ok. It works fine in OE, just not FF. I think it
    has to do with what mime settings are checked, but I can't figure it out.
    I've got the minimum installation, rarely use QT and only need the
    occasional plug-in. I see it listed in about:plugins.

    Frustrating.

    Dave Zass, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Dave Zass

    Charles Guest

    Dave Zass wrote:
    >>http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216

    > Thanks, good site. Unfortunately, still doesn't work. I had the same
    > problem months ago, not sure how I resolved it then.
    >
    > I've uninstalled/reinstalled QT 6.5.1 3 times. After each time, I clear out
    > all references to QT in the registry.
    >
    > It definitely installs ok. It works fine in OE, just not FF. I think it
    > has to do with what mime settings are checked, but I can't figure it out.
    > I've got the minimum installation, rarely use QT and only need the
    > occasional plug-in. I see it listed in about:plugins.
    >
    > Frustrating.

    How about this, select "Browser Plugin" then check *All* media types
    (Individually), restart FF, see if QT works, then working backwards,
    "unselect" types checking as you go to find the culprit.

    Charles, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Dave Zass

    topjolly Guest

    Dave Zass wrote:
    >>http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216

    > Thanks, good site. Unfortunately, still doesn't work. I had the same
    > problem months ago, not sure how I resolved it then.
    >
    > I've uninstalled/reinstalled QT 6.5.1 3 times. After each time, I clear out
    > all references to QT in the registry.
    >
    > It definitely installs ok. It works fine in OE, just not FF. I think it
    > has to do with what mime settings are checked, but I can't figure it out.
    > I've got the minimum installation, rarely use QT and only need the
    > occasional plug-in. I see it listed in about:plugins.
    >
    > Frustrating.

    Dave have you tried QuickTime Alternative ?

    http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

    topjolly

    topjolly, Apr 1, 2005
  6. Dave Zass

    Moz Champion Guest

    Charles wrote:

    > Dave Zass wrote:
    >
    >> Once again, FF isn't recognizing my QuickTime plug-in. After a
    >> reinstall of FF, I also uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime. I'm
    >> getting the "missing plug-in" message again. It works fine with IE,
    >> just not FF.
    >>
    >> I checked about:plug-ins, and QT 6.5.1 is definitely listed. After my
    >> initial install of FF last summer, I had the same problem and have no
    >> idea how it finally got resolved. Eventually, FF recognized QT.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what I should check or do to get FF to recognize an
    >> installed plugin?
    >>

    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216

    um, was that a misprint?
    You clear the registry AFTER you install it? Isnt that backwards? Taken
    at face value, you are simply removing the new values the install placed
    there! Why clear the registry AFTER the install?

    Moz Champion, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Dave Zass

    Dave Zass Guest

    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216
    >
    > um, was that a misprint?
    > You clear the registry AFTER you install it? Isnt that backwards? Taken
    > at face value, you are simply removing the new values the install placed
    > there! Why clear the registry AFTER the install?

    I'm not sure if you are replying to me as you quoted my text and made an
    assumption.

    1. Install FF, reboot.
    2. Uninstall QT. Clean out all references in the registry as well.
    3. Re Install QT, reboot.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.....

    Clearer?

    I just realized it's also happening with Real Player. Tells me that I'm
    missing a plugin. Using about:config shows both plugins apparently
    installed correctly. Neither works in FF, yet works fine in OE.

    Dave Zass, Apr 1, 2005
  8. Dave Zass

    Dave Zass Guest

    > How about this, select "Browser Plugin" then check *All* media types
    > (Individually), restart FF, see if QT works, then working backwards,
    > "unselect" types checking as you go to find the culprit.

    That sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try.

    Dave Zass, Apr 1, 2005
  9. Dave Zass

    Dave Zass Guest

    > Dave have you tried QuickTime Alternative ?
    >
    > http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

    Not really interested yet. I had my plugins all working fine with the
    initial release of FF. Once I upgraded to 1.02, the plugins stopped
    working. Reinstalling them seemed like the obvious answer, yet I can't get
    them to work.

    Dave Zass, Apr 1, 2005
  10. Dave Zass

    Dave Zass Guest

    >> um, was that a misprint?
    >> You clear the registry AFTER you install it? Isnt that backwards? Taken
    >> at face value, you are simply removing the new values the install placed
    >> there! Why clear the registry AFTER the install?

    > I'm not sure if you are replying to me as you quoted my text and made an
    > assumption.
    >
    > 1. Install FF, reboot.
    > 2. Uninstall QT. Clean out all references in the registry as well.
    > 3. Re Install QT, reboot.
    > 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.....
    >
    > Clearer?
    >
    > I just realized it's also happening with Real Player. Tells me that I'm
    > missing a plugin. Using about:config shows both plugins apparently
    > installed correctly. Neither works in FF, yet works fine in OE.

    Oops. I forgot the reboot after step 2.

    Dave Zass, Apr 1, 2005
  11. Dave Zass

    topjolly Guest

    Dave Zass wrote:
    >>Dave have you tried QuickTime Alternative ?
    >>
    >>http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

    > Not really interested yet. I had my plugins all working fine with the
    > initial release of FF. Once I upgraded to 1.02, the plugins stopped
    > working. Reinstalling them seemed like the obvious answer, yet I can't get
    > them to work.

    I did the same, I upgrade FF to 1.02 and QT stopped working. I
    uninstalled QT(think I used Registry Mechanic to clean up any stray reg
    entries too)and then installed QuickTime Alternative which fixed the
    problem for me.

    topjolly

    topjolly, Apr 1, 2005