Plugins for "Google, Amazon, Dictionary", etc.

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by maradcliff@UNLISTED.com, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Guest

    In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
    Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
    figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
    clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
    of plugin. WHY?????
    What does this plugin do?
    I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
    of them or something........

    What's the deal with this?

    Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
    I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
    harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
    search engines and everything else I might ever need.

    Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
    again. I do not want them even listed as a link.

    If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
    could find better use for that part of my screen.

    Thanks

    Mark

    , Nov 17, 2004

  2. wrote:
    > In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
    > Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
    > figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
    > clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
    > of plugin. WHY?????
    > What does this plugin do?
    > I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
    > of them or something........
    >
    > What's the deal with this?
    >
    > Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
    > I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
    > harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
    > search engines and everything else I might ever need.
    >
    > Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
    > again. I do not want them even listed as a link.
    >
    > If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
    > could find better use for that part of my screen.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    Hm, looking in about:config, I see:

    browser.search.order.1

    Followed by a list of browser.search.order prefs. You could try setting
    the values of these prefs to blank, and see if the option goes away.

    If that doesn't do it. you will probably have to edit prefs.js manually
    to get rid of them.

    Or, just don't click on the search engine icon in the search bar. Out
    of sight, out of mind!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2004

  3. avalanche Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:51:26 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
    >> Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
    >> figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
    >> clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
    >> of plugin. WHY?????
    >> What does this plugin do?
    >> I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
    >> of them or something........
    >>
    >> What's the deal with this?
    >>
    >> Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
    >> I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
    >> harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
    >> search engines and everything else I might ever need.
    >>
    >> Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
    >> again. I do not want them even listed as a link.
    >>
    >> If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
    >> could find better use for that part of my screen.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >Hm, looking in about:config, I see:

    what/where/why is this about:config? Thanks.

    avalanche, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Basil Guest

    >>Hm, looking in about:config, I see:

    > what/where/why is this about:config? Thanks.

    Just type about:config in your address bar.
    --
    Basil

    Basil, Nov 17, 2004
  5. :: BRIAN :: Guest

    (On 11/16/2004 8:44 PM) wrote:
    > In my top toolbar there is a list of search engines for "Google,
    > Amazon, Dictionary Yahoo,", etc. For the longest time I could not
    > figure out why nothing happened when I clicked on them. Then I
    > clicked "Add Engines" and found that I am supposed to have some sort
    > of plugin. WHY?????

    Nothing happens unless you type something in the little input box and
    hit enter.

    > What does this plugin do?
    > I am a little uncomfortable using them, as they might track my usage
    > of them or something........
    >
    > What's the deal with this?

    I can only imagine what it would be like to be so paranoid.

    It is helpful to mention which product you are talking about when you
    ask for help. However, the search plug-ins are fairly similar in both
    products, so you should be able to fix your "problem" with this information.

    Firstly, Mozilla/FF isn't tracking your usage, and neither are those
    plug-ins. Using the search plug-ins is nearly identical to going to the
    site and using their search...

    Regardless, if you are still concerned with the evil search tool
    functions, then open up the associated .src file in the [..\Mozilla
    Firefox\searchplugins] directory with a text editor, and examine them
    for yourself.

    If you still really want to completely remove the plug-ins, then just
    remove the aforementioned files. Done. Read the rest of this post to
    remove the actual input box.

    > Also, I'd actually prefer to just remove that option from my toolbars.
    > I dont need it, because my home page is a HTML file (on my own
    > harddrive) that I created. It contains all the links I need for
    > search engines and everything else I might ever need.
    >
    > Also, I learned about Ebay the hard way, and will never use them
    > again. I do not want them even listed as a link.

    What is so bad about eBay? When you know something that is bad, it
    would be nice to explain what in the hell you are talking about. What
    did you learn? I use eBay all the time; what should I be worried about?
    I really don't care if they track everything I search for or sell...
    it's not like I'm searching for anything illegal or embarrassing ;-)

    > If there is a way to remove that option, please let me know how. I
    > could find better use for that part of my screen.

    What are you going to use that part of your screen for? If the real
    estate is what you needed, then you could have removed the item long ago
    by simply right-clicking on the toolbar, and remove the search item.
    Presto... instant space.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    [Do not take any offense to this post -- I always sound like a dick]

    :: BRIAN ::, Nov 18, 2004