    Frank
    My correct e-mail address is gno52 (not gn52)
    Fake adddress given to avoid spams

    Frank Thompson, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Frank Thompson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Frank Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Win2000svce pck 4
    | Most but not all of the time (& that is what is confusing me) when I
    | plug or unplug my cam to my USB port I get the message that a new
    | device is detected and it must be insrtalled, which it does with no
    | problems. Is this the way Plug & Play works? I was under, what I
    | guess was the impression, that once a device was plugged in and
    | installed it woud always recognize it on subsequent occasions when it
    | was plugged in. I was hoping that I could use the same USB port for
    | several different devices & just unplug them when not in use. Some,
    | but not all the time it does seem to work that way. I wonder what I am
    | doing differently the times it does work that way.
    |
    | Happy Thanksgiving to all,
    | Frank
    | My correct e-mail address is gno52 (not gn52)
    | Fake adddress given to avoid spam

    First, Frank please do one more thing to your fake email address. Add
    ".invalid" to the end, so it looks like this lid. Even
    if you change *your* side of the email address to avoid spam, your ISP
    (alltel.net) is *still* gonna get all that crap and it is wasting their
    computer time and resources trying to figure out what to do with it. The
    ".invalid" is the preferred way to prevent the spam from going anywhere at
    all...

    As for the the USB, I've run into similar problems with my scanner. My guess
    is that the company that writes the drivers fails to "embed" the drivers
    into Windows' INF folder. I haven't come up with a solution either. I
    finally copied the drivers from the CD to a folder on the hard drive so I
    don't have to go dig up the CD every time. (Plus I added more ports so I can
    leave it plugged in unless I use it elsewhere.)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Frank Thompson

    Larry Crites Guest

    When connecting a device to a USB port, isn't that device installed to that
    one port, and then if you plug something else into that same port later,
    isn't the first device removed from the system and has to be installed again
    when it's plugged in again? Seems that it works that way on my machines.

    Larry
    Unlock the Universe

    Larry Crites, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Frank Thompson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Probably. That's why I haven't seriously worked on my scanner issue. Now
    that I have the extra ports it doesn't matter. Maybe the OP needs to get a
    small powered hub, or add a PCI card with more USB ports.

    But what really bugged me was having to get the CD each time. I think the
    programmers should have considered this issue and placed the drivers into
    the default Windows installation folder so they were there for the next time
    it needed to be installed.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Frank Thompson

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > But what really bugged me was having to get the CD each time. I think
    > the programmers should have considered this issue and placed the
    > drivers into the default Windows installation folder so they were
    > there for the next time it needed to be installed.

    They are normally. Unless the designers are morons. That's why I can plug
    in my Camera/Mouse/Hard drive/various other things into my Win2k box,
    doesn't matter what port or what was there before, and it just detects and
    enables the devices. Note: Windows 2000 does not natively support my
    camera like XP does.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Frank Thompson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    |
    | > But what really bugged me was having to get the CD each time. I think
    | > the programmers should have considered this issue and placed the
    | > drivers into the default Windows installation folder so they were
    | > there for the next time it needed to be installed.
    |
    | They are normally. Unless the designers are morons. That's why I can
    plug
    | in my Camera/Mouse/Hard drive/various other things into my Win2k box,
    | doesn't matter what port or what was there before, and it just detects and
    | enables the devices. Note: Windows 2000 does not natively support my
    | camera like XP does.

    Exactly . That's the way I felt it was supposed to be myself. But I have
    *other* issues with my Epson scanner too...like the copy utility doesn't
    function now, and they don't have a clue why. I used the scanner as a little
    photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson doesn't even
    admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours: their software
    designers are morons.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004
  7. Frank Thompson

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson
    > doesn't even admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours:
    > their software designers are morons.

    Definitely. I've never seen a USB device that I had to reinstall the
    drivers for whenever I unplugged it and replugged it. It isn't even a
    matter of having to reinstall from where ever the driver
    unzips/decompresses to, I never have to reinstall at all. I plug in, I
    wait 5 or 10 seconds, and the mouse works or whatever, or I see the little
    icon popup in the systray area and I'm ready to go.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 26, 2004
  8. Frank Thompson

    Plato Guest

    Jim Berwick wrote:

    > > photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson
    > > doesn't even admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours:
    > > their software designers are morons.

    > Definitely. I've never seen a USB device that I had to reinstall the
    > drivers for whenever I unplugged it and replugged it. It isn't even a
    > matter of having to reinstall from where ever the driver
    > unzips/decompresses to, I never have to reinstall at all. I plug in, I
    > wait 5 or 10 seconds, and the mouse works or whatever, or I see the little
    > icon popup in the systray area and I'm ready to go.

    On older PCs with older OS's eg Win9X it sometimes happens when you
    unplug a device and then connect it to another USB port. Yes with mice
    also. Many of the old docs also recommend that you install some devices
    to EACH usb port, yes, including some mice.

    Plato, Nov 27, 2004
  9. Frank Thompson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | Jim Berwick wrote:
    | >
    | > > photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson
    | > > doesn't even admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours:
    | > > their software designers are morons.
    | >
    | > Definitely. I've never seen a USB device that I had to reinstall the
    | > drivers for whenever I unplugged it and replugged it. It isn't even a
    | > matter of having to reinstall from where ever the driver
    | > unzips/decompresses to, I never have to reinstall at all. I plug in, I
    | > wait 5 or 10 seconds, and the mouse works or whatever, or I see the
    little
    | > icon popup in the systray area and I'm ready to go.
    |
    | On older PCs with older OS's eg Win9X it sometimes happens when you
    | unplug a device and then connect it to another USB port. Yes with mice
    | also. Many of the old docs also recommend that you install some devices
    | to EACH usb port, yes, including some mice

    True, but we've been discussing some equipment I have that is built for XP,
    used on XP, and still loses track of it's drivers when the cable gets
    unplugged. I expected better programming than that from Epson scanners.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2004
  10. Frank Thompson

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > | On older PCs with older OS's eg Win9X it sometimes happens when you
    > | unplug a device and then connect it to another USB port. Yes with mice
    > | also. Many of the old docs also recommend that you install some devices
    > | to EACH usb port, yes, including some mice
    >
    > True, but we've been discussing some equipment I have that is built for XP,
    > used on XP, and still loses track of it's drivers when the cable gets
    > unplugged. I expected better programming than that from Epson scanners.

    As soon as one interface system matures and becomes relatively problem
    free, take for example printer port scanners [what a blast they were to
    get going at first], the next wave begins eg firewire/usb. It's such a
    fast paced industry I suppose that's why so many folks enjoy the hobby
    and/or career.

    Regarding the thread, often it makes you wonder if the coders actually
    get to test their work in the real world. As a comparison, I worked in
    the auto repair biz for a bit a few years ago as that's also one of my
    interests. Morons? Heck, who was the moron who designed the Ford
    Windstar that you have to take out motor mounts to put in a water pump?
    Who was the moron who designed certain cars where you have to remove the
    fender to put in a battery?

    Plato, Nov 27, 2004
  11. Frank Thompson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | >
    | > | On older PCs with older OS's eg Win9X it sometimes happens when you
    | > | unplug a device and then connect it to another USB port. Yes with mice
    | > | also. Many of the old docs also recommend that you install some
    devices
    | > | to EACH usb port, yes, including some mice
    | >
    | > True, but we've been discussing some equipment I have that is built for
    XP,
    | > used on XP, and still loses track of it's drivers when the cable gets
    | > unplugged. I expected better programming than that from Epson scanners.
    |
    | As soon as one interface system matures and becomes relatively problem
    | free, take for example printer port scanners [what a blast they were to
    | get going at first], the next wave begins eg firewire/usb. It's such a
    | fast paced industry I suppose that's why so many folks enjoy the hobby
    | and/or career.
    |
    | Regarding the thread, often it makes you wonder if the coders actually
    | get to test their work in the real world. As a comparison, I worked in
    | the auto repair biz for a bit a few years ago as that's also one of my
    | interests. Morons? Heck, who was the moron who designed the Ford
    | Windstar that you have to take out motor mounts to put in a water pump?
    | Who was the moron who designed certain cars where you have to remove the
    | fender to put in a battery?

    Yeah - I remember some of that crap. One mid-70s Chevy my mom had (Malibu,
    Chevelle? don't remember). Had a frame brace over the top of the battery.
    Took an hour and a half to disassemble part of the grill, remove the brace,
    replace a battery, put it all back.

    My Nissan I have now only gives me 1/16" clearance on the fuel injectors to
    get them in. What's with that? And I practically have to stand on my
    freakin' head to do it! I gave up...these new monsters go to the shop now. I
    still do my own work on the 72 Chevy Suburban though. I can climb clear up
    on top, sit on the tire well, and reach just about anything <g>.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2004