    hassle. 'course, I know installing SOFTWARE can still be a real hassle.
    I'd sure like Msoft to fix THAT problem (usually memory or other
    addresses reserved for two or more different programs).

    Don Stauffer, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Don Stauffer

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:23:38 -0500, Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >For years I have been disparaging plug and pray. It looks like they are
    >getting it right these days!
    >
    >We bought a new, relatively cheap printer for my wife's computer- one
    >that can print on CD or DVD for labeling. The installation worked
    >perfectly, the included software for labeling disks works well, and we
    >were labeling DVDs about an hour after I started the installation.

    In my experience, that's got a lot to do with just reading the
    installation instructions before attempting the installation.
    PNP has been working for some time now.

    >Now, if they do not screw things up in the future, maybe this will
    >continue to work, and installing hardware in Windows will no longer be a
    >hassle. 'course, I know installing SOFTWARE can still be a real hassle.
    > I'd sure like Msoft to fix THAT problem (usually memory or other
    >addresses reserved for two or more different programs).

    That isn't MS's problem, it's the software writers' problem.
    AIUI, the better-written programs use dynamically allocated RAM
    address for most functions (letting several apps remain in memory,
    regardless of the order in which they are loaded), and the problem you
    describe is usually a result of a program attempting to access a
    memory address reserved for OS use. It's up to the programmer to avoid
    this.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"