plug in x32/x64 ???

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by rakesh, Jul 8, 2009.

  1. rakesh

    rakesh Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I have a plug in for MS Outlook and Outlook Express. It's working fine on
    x32 XP.
    I also want to give the support to x64 XP. But the problem is that. This
    plugin is using a x32 window service.
    If I give support to x64 OE then I need to make the service x64 also. But if
    user has the x32 MS Outlook on the same machine then x64 service can not
    work for that.

    Should I use the two versions of the same service on same machine to give
    this support to both clients?

    Please give your suggestions if you had experienced the same situation.

    Your feedback is valuable for me.
    :)

    Best Regards,
    rakesh, Jul 8, 2009

  2. You need to be more specific about the plugin for anyone to make an
    informed decision. What plugin are you referring to?

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 8, 2009

  3. rakesh

    tsperling Guest

    Hi,

    if this 'plug-in' is something you develop yourself, you'll need to ask in a
    Developer group. If your code is using any 'driver' (or, driver-like) code
    for the service, it has to be 64bit for x64 as I understand it.

    If this all is something more 'standard' you'll have to be more specific.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 8, 2009
  4. After re-reading your post, you will have to have 2 separate plugins - 1
    for 32-bit and 1 for 64-bit just as there are 2 versions of Java for
    browsers - 1 for 64-bit and 1 for 32-bit. Both versions of the program
    should share the same data like both versions of Internet Explorer do.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 8, 2009
  5. rakesh

    TMA Guest

    You have to write the plug-in to provide service based on which version of
    Outlook the client has.
    I believe 64bit machines will let you run 32bit services as well. So, all
    you got to do is follow Outlook.

    TMA, Jul 9, 2009
  6. rakesh

    rakesh Guest

    Thanks for your feedback.

    This plug in is doing little processing - manipulating the user account
    details and mail count in a folder. giving this information to a window
    service.
    That service is doing some stuff with that detail. I can not disclose more
    here.

    But the concern is here.
    Is it possible that a x32 DLL/EXE can communicate to x64 DLL/EXE ? If yes,
    HOW?
    My main concern is with global memory sharing regarding of this
    communication.
    :)

    (Best Regards)

    rakesh, Jul 9, 2009
  7. rakesh

    tsperling Guest

    This is precisely the big 'IT' - even if 32/64bit processes execute
    seamlessly side-by-side, there is a bitnessbarrier between them such that
    one cannot call the other.

    It would be technologically possible, I am told, but for our convenience and
    safety, MS has chosen to have it this way. There is reportedly Linux's that
    can do this, but Windows - no way!

    This is also why IE comes in two flavors on Windows x64 systems, otherwise
    there would have been no Flash or Java for a long time. But take my Avast
    antivirus as an example, it runs fine on both systems because they put all
    the little determining bits and pieces in a single (or a few) files
    (*.DLL's?) that are installed separately. Since the installment tree is
    acting as a bitness separator the calls can also be separated and it ends up
    looking quite seamless anyway, but with a little more work for you of
    course. And there is also a few games on the market that use the same
    tactic. It is working quite well, and that is why I think you should strike
    up a conversation on a Developer Group, they'd know much more about your
    options.

    Good luck to you, rakesh!

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 9, 2009
  8. rakesh

    rakesh Guest

    Thanks Bobby.
    I was looking for a single solution for both platforms. But your point is
    valid and I think I have to run both versions (x32 & x64) for x64 Vista.

    (Best Regards)

    rakesh, Jul 9, 2009