Plug-in USB hardware device captures keystrokes on Mac and PC USB keyboards.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Theo, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Theo

    Theo Guest

    Plug-in KeyGhost USB Keylogger (hardware device) records all keystrokes
    typed on any PC and Mac USB keyboards. (PS/2 and Large Dinn models
    also available)

    Easiest way to capture keystrokes on any Mac or PC. Record all
    keystrokes typed on USB keyboards now.
    Installs in under 5 seconds, just plug it in.

    Can record on one computer and retrieve on another.
    Keystrokes stored in internal flash memory, no batteries required.

    No software install required to record or retrieve keystrokes.
    KeyGhost USB Keylogger contains built-in access menu that works in any
    text editor on PC or Mac.

    http://www.keyghost.com/USB-Keylogger.htm

    KeyGhost is again leading the development of computer monitoring
    hardware. This is the worlds first and only USB hardware keylogger!

    Please email me with any questions or comments.

    Anyone interested in reviewing or testing the latest KeyGhost hardware
    keylogger devices, please send me an email with 'KeyGhost' in the
    subject line.

    http://www.keyghost.com

    Cheers,
    Theo
    Theo, Sep 30, 2005

  2. "Theo" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > KeyGhost is again leading the development of computer monitoring
    > hardware. This is the worlds first and only USB hardware keylogger!

    Out of interest, was this the one first shown on BBC television in '03, or
    something different?

    Is it the storage version, the Wi-Fi enabled device, or the one relying on
    an installed driver to copy stuff to a network share?

    Oh. Silly me: you said "only".

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 1, 2005

  3. Theo

    Theo Guest

    > Out of interest, was this the one first shown on BBC television in '03, or
    > something different?
    >
    > Is it the storage version, the Wi-Fi enabled device, or the one relying on
    > an installed driver to copy stuff to a network share?
    >
    > Oh. Silly me: you said "only".

    Dear Hairy Dne Kenobi

    The version shown on TV in 03 was a PS/2 version (different protocol).
    This version that we have announced is the world's first and only USB
    Hardware Keylogger. This version works on Mac and PCs with USB
    keyboards attached.

    We released it in beta at the beginning of this year. It has now passed
    our extensive testing procedures and we have chosen to make it
    available.

    http://www.keyghost.com/

    Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

    Kind regards,
    Theo
    Theo, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Theo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 1 Oct 2005 19:36:15 -0700, "Theo" <> wrote:

    >Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

    What a stupid idea, its hardly a covert device.

    Having alerted us about what to look for, there is no need for
    future product anouncements to this newsgroup - or spam as
    some might say.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 2, 2005
  5. Theo

    Theo Guest

    P.S. I hope my email was not construed as spam by readers of the
    computer.security group. It contains information (warning) about our
    new device that others may wish to acknowledge.

    It is also important to note that the device can be installed inside
    USB keyboards. This seems to be the most common oversight.

    Take care.

    Kind regards,
    Theo
    Theo, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Theo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 2 Oct 2005 16:12:30 -0700, "Theo" <> wrote:

    >P.S. I hope my email was not construed as spam by readers of the
    >computer.security group.

    Perhaps the subtlety is lost

    1. it was not an email
    2. its advertising junk

    complaint issued to Google IRO your account.

    Goodbye.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 3, 2005
  7. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On 1 Oct 2005 19:36:15 -0700, "Theo" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

    > What a stupid idea, its hardly a covert device.
    >
    > Having alerted us about what to look for, there is no need for
    > future product anouncements to this newsgroup - or spam as
    > some might say.

    Actually, Jim, it's not that simple.

    The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved around
    the back of a machine. When dealing with somewhere like a trading floor,
    with all machines shoved under the desk, you get pretty much limitless
    access to what's being typed on a particular box.

    Being USB, it's something that a cleaner can insert in full view of CCTV
    without averting suspicion.

    I suspect the new version is based on the relatively new MicroChip USB PIC
    library. One of the early demos was a serial keyboard reader; shouldn't take
    a genius to combine the two.

    The trick is to either close the USB facility altogether (often impractical)
    or simply kill the main ports in the BIOS. Any active USB can, of course, be
    potentially also used for a diskey type of device.

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 3, 2005
  8. Theo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:12:02 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> On 1 Oct 2005 19:36:15 -0700, "Theo" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

    >> What a stupid idea, its hardly a covert device.
    >>
    >> Having alerted us about what to look for, there is no need for
    >> future product anouncements to this newsgroup - or spam as
    >> some might say.

    >Actually, Jim, it's not that simple.
    >
    >The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved around
    >the back of a machine. When dealing with somewhere like a trading floor,
    >with all machines shoved under the desk, you get pretty much limitless
    >access to what's being typed on a particular box.
    >
    >Being USB, it's something that a cleaner can insert in full view of CCTV
    >without averting suspicion.
    >
    >I suspect the new version is based on the relatively new MicroChip USB PIC
    >library. One of the early demos was a serial keyboard reader; shouldn't take
    >a genius to combine the two.
    >
    >The trick is to either close the USB facility altogether (often impractical)
    >or simply kill the main ports in the BIOS. Any active USB can, of course, be
    >potentially also used for a diskey type of device.
    >
    >H1K

    The promotional pictures on their website (which, in fairness they
    say may not be totally representative) show a device daisy chained
    between a keyboard and the USB port. Its pretty obvious and I
    do spend time under peoples desks looking at the backs of
    machines. Although there are a good number of USB mice,
    USB keyboards are unusual at present.

    On a security note, I see HSBC use a screen based keyboard you
    click on to enter online banking passwords, which would defeat
    all keyloggers.

    Also neatly built into MS windows is an onscreen keyboard

    osk.exe

    which can be used when the keyboard is not available, which
    also would bypass a hardware monitor.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 4, 2005
  9. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:12:02 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    > <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    <snip>

    > >I suspect the new version is based on the relatively new MicroChip USB

    PIC
    > >library. One of the early demos was a serial keyboard reader; shouldn't

    take
    > >a genius to combine the two.

    > The promotional pictures on their website (which, in fairness they
    > say may not be totally representative) show a device daisy chained
    > between a keyboard and the USB port. Its pretty obvious and I
    > do spend time under peoples desks looking at the backs of
    > machines. Although there are a good number of USB mice,
    > USB keyboards are unusual at present.

    Interesting - I didn't go as far as looking at the site.

    For a "world-beater", it sounds pretty old-hat, compared with what was
    happening a few years ago.. and precisely like a primitive sniffer using the
    PIC libraries.

    Bearing in mind the teeny amount of RAM available, was a comment made about
    how to actually use this as an exploit (e.g. add code to handle comms, or a
    pick 'em up EEPROM)?

    Can't be too sophisticated, if it can't automatically pick-up a keyboard
    from a USB hub...

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 4, 2005
  10. Theo

    Theo Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved around
    > the back of a machine.

    If the reporter mentioned a USB device he or she was using his or her
    poetic licence. Same re: comments about WiFi etc.

    Kind regards,
    Theo
    Theo, Oct 9, 2005
  11. "Theo" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > > The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved

    around
    > > the back of a machine.

    > If the reporter mentioned a USB device he or she was using his or her
    > poetic licence. Same re: comments about WiFi etc.

    Erm.. more than license, I suspect - it was shown on camera, and basically
    looked like any other dated Diskey (i.e. on the large side)

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 9, 2005
  12. Theo

    Theo Guest

    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > > Erm.. more than license, I suspect - it was shown on camera, and basically
    >> looked like any other dated Diskey (i.e. on the large side)

    Anything shown on camera would have been a flash drive or some kind of
    adaptor (USB to PS/2?).

    Here is a link to a recent BBC news report which includes a picture of
    a hand plugging a printer cable into a Parallel port with the caption
    'Hardware keyloggers plug straight into a computer'.

    Kind regards,
    Theo
    Theo, Oct 10, 2005
  13. "Theo" <> wrote in message
    > > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > > > Erm.. more than license, I suspect - it was shown on camera, and

    basically
    > >> looked like any other dated Diskey (i.e. on the large side)

    > Anything shown on camera would have been a flash drive or some kind of
    > adaptor (USB to PS/2?).
    >
    > Here is a link to a recent BBC news report which includes a picture of
    > a hand plugging a printer cable into a Parallel port with the caption
    > 'Hardware keyloggers plug straight into a computer'.

    Stock photo shot (and, as you point out, inaccurate).

    The *television* report showed a Diskey-type device.

    If there was bamboozling going on (not exactly an outside chance in the
    Computer industry ;o), then it was from the consultancy firm to the BBC. The
    talking-head was very specific about a device that used USB at the PC end -
    "under the desk, where someone would be unlikely to notice". (Can't promise
    that the wording is 100% accurate, but the meaning is clear)

    If you're thinking prior art, then don't worry too much - the US Patent
    office is notoriously inefficient when it comes to searches. (Although, that
    said, I can only think of an assortment of Industry news reports at
    "OneClick" that support that sweeping assertation, rather than a specific
    set of examples. Best treat that as "Grade C hearsay")

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 10, 2005
  14. Theo

    Theo Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > Stock photo shot (and, as you point out, inaccurate).
    >
    > The *television* report showed a Diskey-type device.

    And it probably was a Diskey device. Without having seen any solid
    evidence of these device(s) back in 2003 I will make the assumption
    that the report that you mention was inaccurate and misleading.

    > If there was bamboozling going on (not exactly an outside chance in the
    > Computer industry ;o), then it was from the consultancy firm to the BBC. The
    > talking-head was very specific about a device that used USB at the PC end -
    > "under the desk, where someone would be unlikely to notice". (Can't promise
    > that the wording is 100% accurate, but the meaning is clear)

    I have seen many similar errors in technology reports. E.g. KeyGhost
    has been referred to as a software keylogger in countless reputable
    newspapers and magazines. :eek:)

    > If you're thinking prior art, then don't worry too much - the US Patent
    > office is notoriously inefficient when it comes to searches. (Although, that
    > said, I can only think of an assortment of Industry news reports at
    > "OneClick" that support that sweeping assertation, rather than a specific
    > set of examples. Best treat that as "Grade C hearsay")

    I agree,... we can treat the notion of a pre-existing USB hardware
    keylogger as hearsay and move on.

    Kind regards,
    Theo
    Theo, Oct 16, 2005
  15. Theo

    Emma

    Joined:
    May 10, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    would you please tell me if it can capture the screenshot on the Mac Leopard?
    I get this keylogger Mac from this site parental control software, but I wouldn't like to pay too much for such a piece of keylogger for Mac software.
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
    Emma, May 12, 2011
  16. Theo

    Scophie

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Maybe something that will not be detected by anti-virus and will not show on task manager.
    Scophie, Dec 6, 2012