    2. Does not need any additional software to retrieve images

    You help is much appreciated in advance.

    support
    support, Jan 26, 2008

  2. support

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:16:58 -0500, support wrote:

    > I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >
    > 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format.
    > 2. Does not need any additional software to retrieve images
    >
    > You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >
    > support

    I cannot think of one currently on the market that does not meet those
    criteria.
    ray, Jan 26, 2008

  3. support

    support Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:16:58 -0500, support wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >>
    >> 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format.
    >> 2. Does not need any additional software to retrieve images
    >>
    >> You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >>
    >> support

    > I cannot think of one currently on the market that does not meet those
    > criteria.

    Ray, thanks again.
    What would be your advise as far as ease of use, reliability?

    Support
    support, Jan 26, 2008
  4. support

    N Guest

    "support" <> wrote in message
    > ray wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:16:58 -0500, support wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format.
    >>> 2. Does not need any additional software to retrieve images
    >>>
    >>> You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >>>
    >>> support

    >> I cannot think of one currently on the market that does not meet those
    >> criteria.

    > Ray, thanks again.
    > What would be your advise as far as ease of use, reliability?
    >
    > Support

    Go into a shop and look at them. You call yourself "Support" :)
    N, Jan 26, 2008
  5. support

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:16:58 -0500, support wrote:

    > I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >
    > 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format.
    > 2. Does not need any additional software to retrieve images
    >
    > You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >
    > support

    That is almost every digital camera.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l
    Neil Ellwood, Jan 26, 2008
  6. support

    Mark B. Guest

    "support" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >
    > 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format. 2. Does not need any additional software
    > to retrieve images
    >
    > You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >
    > support

    Any camera currently on the market fills those requirements - just get a
    card reader, it's universally recognized on any PC and the transfers are
    faster than from the camera.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jan 26, 2008
  7. support

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:41:58 -0500, support <> wrote:

    >ray wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:16:58 -0500, support wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format.
    >>> 2. Does not need any additional software to retrieve images

    I've never seen a digital that requires additional software to
    retrieve images. Many come with software to do this, but it's never
    required and the bundled software is usually useless.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 26, 2008
  8. "support" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >
    > 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format. 2. Does not need any additional software
    > to retrieve images
    >
    > You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >
    > support

    Any low price digital camera that takes a memory card will take jpeg/jpg
    format pictures and you can take the card out of the camera and put into a
    card reader slot on the computer - if you don't have a card reader slot you
    can buy a cheap card reader that plugs into a USB slot.
    Mike.
    Mike of Wrexham, Jan 26, 2008
  9. On Jan 26, 8:08 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:41:58 -0500, support <> wrote:
    > >ray wrote:

    > I've never seen a digital that requires additional software to
    > retrieve images. Many come with software to do this, but it's never
    > required and the bundled software is usually useless.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    There ARE cheapies that do not take a flash card. The memory is
    strictly internal and you download pictures via USB. Those DO take
    proprietary software.

    Just stay away from those, and buy one that uses flash cards like SD
    or similar. Then either use the card reader on your computer, or buy
    a USB card reader.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jan 26, 2008
  10. support

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:52:08 -0500, "Mark B."
    <> wrote:

    >"support" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >>
    >> 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format. 2. Does not need any additional software
    >> to retrieve images
    >>
    >> You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >>
    >> support

    >Any camera currently on the market fills those requirements - just get a
    >card reader, it's universally recognized on any PC and the transfers are
    >faster than from the camera.

    You don't need a card reader. Any digital P&S can use a USB cable.
    If the computer has a port for a card reader, it has a USB port.

    While I now use a card reader, the "faster" bit is a non-feature
    feature. The difference in time between uploading a full card by
    either method is a matter of seconds. Unless you are trying to upload
    while the house is on fire, and those seconds are precious to you, it
    doesn't make a real difference.

    The only reason I switched to a card reader is that the three cameras
    that are used in this house require two different USB cables.
    (camera-side connections) The card reader eliminates the need to
    change cables.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 26, 2008
  11. support

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:03:46 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 26, 8:08 am, tony cooper <> wrote:

    >> I've never seen a digital that requires additional software to
    >> retrieve images. Many come with software to do this, but it's never
    >> required and the bundled software is usually useless.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    >There ARE cheapies that do not take a flash card. The memory is
    >strictly internal and you download pictures via USB. Those DO take
    >proprietary software.

    Give me an example of a currently available P&S that requires
    proprietary software.

    The USB cable and the card reader communicate to the camera through
    the same port. The computer does not see any difference between the
    cable interface and the card reader.

    In a Windows system, plug in either a card reader or a USB connection
    to the camera and a pop-up will appear asking how you want to upload
    the images. You can upload without any proprietary software.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 26, 2008
  12. On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:08:15 -0500, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:52:08 -0500, "Mark B."
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"support" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format. 2. Does not need any additional software
    >>> to retrieve images
    >>>
    >>> You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >>>
    >>> support

    >>Any camera currently on the market fills those requirements - just get a
    >>card reader, it's universally recognized on any PC and the transfers are
    >>faster than from the camera.
    >>

    > You don't need a card reader. Any digital P&S can use a USB cable.
    > If the computer has a port for a card reader, it has a USB port.

    Aren't there a few cameras that don't support the USB Mass Storage
    protocol, and hence need either a card reader or specialized driver
    software to talk to a computer? I seem to recall that Canon does that
    for some reason.

    Given how cheap card readers are, using one is hardly an imposition, but
    since the original poster doesn't want to install any software on their
    machine, it's worth mentioning that some models might need the external
    reader in order to fufuill the requirements.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 26, 2008
  13. support

    irwell Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:52:08 -0500, "Mark B."
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"support" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format. 2. Does not need any additional software
    >>> to retrieve images
    >>>
    >>> You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >>>
    >>> support

    >>Any camera currently on the market fills those requirements - just get a
    >>card reader, it's universally recognized on any PC and the transfers are
    >>faster than from the camera.
    >>

    >You don't need a card reader. Any digital P&S can use a USB cable.
    >If the computer has a port for a card reader, it has a USB port.
    >
    >While I now use a card reader, the "faster" bit is a non-feature
    >feature. The difference in time between uploading a full card by
    >either method is a matter of seconds. Unless you are trying to upload
    >while the house is on fire, and those seconds are precious to you, it
    >doesn't make a real difference.
    >
    >The only reason I switched to a card reader is that the three cameras
    >that are used in this house require two different USB cables.
    >(camera-side connections) The card reader eliminates the need to
    >change cables.

    It is also safer, there is a chance of file corruption if the
    camera loses power during the download.
    irwell, Jan 26, 2008
  14. support

    Allen Guest

    irwell wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:08:15 -0500, tony cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:52:08 -0500, "Mark B."
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "support" <> wrote in message

    >>> Any camera currently on the market fills those requirements - just get a
    >>> card reader, it's universally recognized on any PC and the transfers are
    >>> faster than from the camera.
    >>>

    >> You don't need a card reader. Any digital P&S can use a USB cable.
    >> If the computer has a port for a card reader, it has a USB port.
    >>
    >> While I now use a card reader, the "faster" bit is a non-feature
    >> feature. The difference in time between uploading a full card by
    >> either method is a matter of seconds. Unless you are trying to upload
    >> while the house is on fire, and those seconds are precious to you, it
    >> doesn't make a real difference.
    >>
    >> The only reason I switched to a card reader is that the three cameras
    >> that are used in this house require two different USB cables.
    >> (camera-side connections) The card reader eliminates the need to
    >> change cables.

    > It is also safer, there is a chance of file corruption if the
    > camera loses power during the download.

    And there is no drain on the camera battery when using a card reader.
    Allen
    Allen, Jan 26, 2008
  15. support

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > Aren't there a few cameras that don't support the USB Mass Storage
    > protocol, and hence need either a card reader or specialized driver
    > software to talk to a computer? I seem to recall that Canon does that
    > for some reason.

    Yes.. Canon cameras don't support direct USB mass storage access.

    Windows XP & Vista will recognize a Canon camera using what is known as
    PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). PTP is a universal protocol used by
    most camera manufacturers. The protocol is built in to Windows
    which allows it to communicate with Canon cameras.

    You can use PTP to view what is on the memory card sitting in the
    camera and to transfer and delete images, but since you aren't accessing
    the card directly, you can't do low level operations like format, defrag
    or error-check.
    Jim Townsend, Jan 26, 2008
  16. support

    Dave Platt Guest

    In article <>,
    Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    >> Aren't there a few cameras that don't support the USB Mass Storage
    >> protocol, and hence need either a card reader or specialized driver
    >> software to talk to a computer? I seem to recall that Canon does that
    >> for some reason.

    >Yes.. Canon cameras don't support direct USB mass storage access.

    Recent Nikon Coolpix, also, are PTP-based, and do not have a
    mass-storage protocol option as far as I know.

    --
    Dave Platt <> AE6EO
    Dave Platt, Jan 26, 2008
  17. support

    Mark B. Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:52:08 -0500, "Mark B."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"support" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am looking for a simple digital camera that:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Takes pictures in JPEG format. 2. Does not need any additional
    >>> software
    >>> to retrieve images
    >>>
    >>> You help is much appreciated in advance.
    >>>
    >>> support

    >>Any camera currently on the market fills those requirements - just get a
    >>card reader, it's universally recognized on any PC and the transfers are
    >>faster than from the camera.
    >>

    > You don't need a card reader. Any digital P&S can use a USB cable.
    > If the computer has a port for a card reader, it has a USB port.

    Yes, but not all cameras can be plugged in to any pc unless a driver is
    loaded first - unlike a card reader.

    > While I now use a card reader, the "faster" bit is a non-feature
    > feature. The difference in time between uploading a full card by
    > either method is a matter of seconds. Unless you are trying to upload
    > while the house is on fire, and those seconds are precious to you, it
    > doesn't make a real difference.

    The other reason I prefer a card reader is there's no risk of the camera
    batteries running down - nor is there a risk of the camera being knocked off
    the desk.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jan 27, 2008
  18. On Jan 26, 10:02 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:03:46 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> I've never seen a digital that requires additional software to
    > >> retrieve images. Many come with software to do this, but it's never
    > >> required and the bundled software is usually useless.

    > >> --

    > >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    > >There ARE cheapies that do not take a flash card. The memory is
    > >strictly internal and you download pictures via USB. Those DO take
    > >proprietary software.

    > Give me an example of a currently available P&S that requires
    > proprietary software.
    >
    > The USB cable and the card reader communicate to the camera through
    > the same port. The computer does not see any difference between the
    > cable interface and the card reader.
    >
    > In a Windows system, plug in either a card reader or a USB connection
    > to the camera and a pop-up will appear asking how you want to upload
    > the images. You can upload without any proprietary software.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    I have one called ePix. I had another old one that I cannot find and
    don't remember the name. What about those cheap Disney cameras- I
    don't think they use flash cards and they do have a USB link.

    The ePix and the other one I had have a proprietary image format- you
    cannot read the pictures- or even access them- with normal Windows
    software.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jan 27, 2008
  19. support

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:39:44 -0500, "Mark B."
    <> wrote:

    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:52:08 -0500, "Mark B."
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"support" <> wrote in message

    >>>Any camera currently on the market fills those requirements - just get a
    >>>card reader, it's universally recognized on any PC and the transfers are
    >>>faster than from the camera.
    >>>

    >> You don't need a card reader. Any digital P&S can use a USB cable.
    >> If the computer has a port for a card reader, it has a USB port.
    >>

    >Yes, but not all cameras can be plugged in to any pc unless a driver is
    >loaded first - unlike a card reader.

    I know that threads drift and that new points are brought up during
    the progress of a discussion, but the OP's question was about picking
    a camera that doesn't have the need for additional software to
    retrieve images.

    The cameras that are currently available on the market don't need
    additional software. Some come with software, but the user doesn't
    need to install it. No "simple" camera that I'm aware of requires
    additional software. Format reading - e.g., RAW - may need software,
    but the poster is referring to .jpg images.

    Points about what Hassleblads require, drivers, etc. are not germane
    to the poster's question. They can valid points or interesting points
    of discussion, but they don't pertain to the specific question asked.

    >> While I now use a card reader, the "faster" bit is a non-feature
    >> feature. The difference in time between uploading a full card by
    >> either method is a matter of seconds. Unless you are trying to upload
    >> while the house is on fire, and those seconds are precious to you, it
    >> doesn't make a real difference.
    >>

    >The other reason I prefer a card reader is there's no risk of the camera
    >batteries running down

    Only a risk that matters if the batteries are depleted during
    download. The same risk exists if there is a power outage during
    download with a card reader even with a UPS.

    >nor is there a risk of the camera being knocked off
    >the desk.

    The risk is the same, but the source of the risk is different. You
    can catch the USB cable on something, or you can knock the camera off
    the desk picking it up to replace the card. The risk is due to
    clumsiness, and that isn't eliminated by use of a card reader.

    I use a card reader, but it would be no big deal to me if it wasn't
    available.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 27, 2008
  20. support

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:49:10 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 26, 10:02 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:03:46 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    >>

    >> <> wrote:

    >> >There ARE cheapies that do not take a flash card. The memory is
    >> >strictly internal and you download pictures via USB. Those DO take
    >> >proprietary software.

    >> Give me an example of a currently available P&S that requires
    >> proprietary software.
    >>
    >> The USB cable and the card reader communicate to the camera through
    >> the same port. The computer does not see any difference between the
    >> cable interface and the card reader.
    >>
    >> In a Windows system, plug in either a card reader or a USB connection
    >> to the camera and a pop-up will appear asking how you want to upload
    >> the images. You can upload without any proprietary software.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    >I have one called ePix. I had another old one that I cannot find and
    >don't remember the name. What about those cheap Disney cameras- I
    >don't think they use flash cards and they do have a USB link.
    >
    >The ePix and the other one I had have a proprietary image format- you
    >cannot read the pictures- or even access them- with normal Windows
    >software.

    Read the post that triggered the discussion. The poster is asking
    about a camera that uses the .jpg format. A camera that doesn't use
    the .jpg format is not what the discussion is about.

    You can add it to the discussion, but it doesn't relate to the
    question or to my answer. You can also add pinhole cameras and camera
    obscuras. Neither uses a USB cable, a card reader, or downloads
    automatically to a Windows computer without the use of additional
    software.

    Interesting topics, but they have nothing to do with the question
    posed or the answer given.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 27, 2008