    restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
    any one know what I have messed up this time.
    regards
    Annette Kurten, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Annette Kurten

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in
    news:cphj70$326$:

    > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
    > used for e,mailing etc)
    > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
    > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
    > regards

    Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you /need/
    to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
    MB.
    Ingeborg, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    | My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used
    for
    | e,mailing etc)
    | today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    | I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    | restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
    | any one know what I have messed up this time.
    | regards

    Did you do your research to find out what *kind* of memory to buy?
    www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com both are able to tell you what kind of
    RAM your system uses.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Annette Kurten

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:05:20 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
    <> wrote:

    |> My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used for
    |> e,mailing etc)
    |> today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    |> I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    |> restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
    |> any one know what I have messed up this time.
    |> regards

    Really old machines of the 386/486 variety required you to tell them how
    much memory they had, this is done in the bios; And if your running 98
    on one of those, now that's funny.

    --
    , Dec 12, 2004
  5. "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in
    >
    > > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
    > > used for e,mailing etc)
    > > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    > > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    > > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
    > > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
    > > regards
    > >

    > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you /need/
    > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
    > MB.

    Book says upgradeable to 512mb
    man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it will
    only recognise the largest
    Annette Kurten, Dec 12, 2004
  6. Annette Kurten

    | "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    | > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in
    | >
    | > > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
    | > > used for e,mailing etc)
    | > > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    | > > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    | > > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
    | > > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
    | > > regards
    | > >

    | > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you
    /need/
    | > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
    | > MB.
    |
    | Book says upgradeable to 512mb
    | man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it
    will
    | only recognise the largest

    Maybe you need to change shops - the guy is obviously smoking something...
    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Annette Kurten

    anthonyberet Guest

    > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used

    for
    > e,mailing etc)
    > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
    > any one know what I have messed up this time.

    Maybe your mainboard only supports SIMM RAM?
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SIMM.html

    If you have put a newer DIMM in there, it might only be physically
    connecting half of the available memory.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DIMM.html

    Before anyone laughs, note the subject line of the thread, and that I am not
    a RAM expert by any means.
    I would have expected this kind of mismatch to make the machine fail to
    boot, but as some DIMM boards were backwards-compatible with SIMM it seems
    possible at least.
    Anyway, you should look up your mainboard online and try to find out -
    remember it might not say it doesn't support DIMM in the manual if DIMM
    wasn't around then!
    Either way, you can put different-sized chips in your different RAM ports
    and it should recognise them all, not just the biggest.
    --
    It's Political Correctness gone mad!!
    anthonyberet
    anthonyberet, Dec 12, 2004
  8. Howdy!

    > "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    > > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
    > > > used for e,mailing etc)
    > > > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    > > > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    > > > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
    > > > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
    > > > regards
    > > >

    > > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you

    /need/
    > > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
    > > MB.

    > Book says upgradeable to 512mb
    > man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it

    will
    > only recognise the largest

    a) Man in shop is using end not under nose to talk with.

    b) If the machine is old enough, it won't recognize all the memory
    on newer DIMMs, but memory to fit is available.

    c) Try both together and see if you now see 128M.

    d) Also, in the book - I've seen some that have four DIMM sockets.
    1 and 3 were single-sided sockets, 2 and 4 were double-sided sockets. If
    you stuck a double-sided DIMM in 1, it only saw half of it. Try the DIMM
    one socket over and see if that helps. If that's it, then the old one won't
    work in socket 1 either, since Socket 2 maps over Socket 1 with double-sided
    DIMMs ...

    Before anyone says "That's crazy!" it was an 815 based MSI board -
    I want to say the MS-6337, but might be wrong.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 12, 2004
  9. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    > | > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    > | > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you
    > /need/
    > | > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times

    64
    > | > MB.
    > |
    > | Book says upgradeable to 512mb
    > | man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it
    > will
    > | only recognise the largest
    > |
    > Maybe you need to change shops - the guy is obviously smoking something...

    Maybe not,Tim just took top off again, put original 64 card in old slot, and
    put 128 in a spare slot.
    restarted and bingo got 128mb ram , so he might be right, as it only
    recognised the larger card
    Annette Kurten, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Annette Kurten

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in news:cpi4jr$6it$1
    @titan.btinternet.com:

    > restarted and bingo got 128mb ram , so he might be right, as it only
    > recognised the larger card

    Um, no, it is recognizing the 128 meg stick as 64. 64 + 64 = 128. The
    problem is likely that the 128 meg stick is a higher density than your
    board can handle, and thus it is seeing only 1/2 of its capacity.
    Jim Berwick, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    | Howdy!
    |
    | "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    | > > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    | > > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you
    | /need/
    | > > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times
    64
    | > > MB.
    | >
    | > Book says upgradeable to 512mb
    | > man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it
    | will
    | > only recognise the largest
    |
    | a) Man in shop is using end not under nose to talk with.

    VERY WELL SAID <G>! I'll have to remember that line...

    | b) If the machine is old enough, it won't recognize all the memory
    | on newer DIMMs, but memory to fit is available.
    |
    | c) Try both together and see if you now see 128M.

    She did that, and got 128 - my bet is 64 + 64, not 128 + 0.

    | d) Also, in the book - I've seen some that have four DIMM sockets.
    | 1 and 3 were single-sided sockets, 2 and 4 were double-sided sockets. If
    | you stuck a double-sided DIMM in 1, it only saw half of it. Try the DIMM
    | one socket over and see if that helps. If that's it, then the old one
    won't
    | work in socket 1 either, since Socket 2 maps over Socket 1 with
    double-sided
    | DIMMs ...
    |
    | Before anyone says "That's crazy!" it was an 815 based MSI board -
    | I want to say the MS-6337, but might be wrong.

    That's not crazy at all - I have a PIII mobo (Asus, I think) that is exactly
    the same.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004
  12. Annette Kurten

    Hackworth Guest

    > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used
    > for
    > e,mailing etc)
    > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
    > any one know what I have messed up this time.
    > regards

    Most likely, you need a standard low-density 128MB memory DIMM, not a
    high-density DIMM which is what the guy apparently sold to you; therefore,
    your system is only able to see half of the memory on that DIMM.
    Hackworth, Dec 12, 2004
  13. Annette Kurten wrote:

    > "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    >> "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    >> > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
    >> > used for e,mailing etc)
    >> > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
    >> > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
    >> > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
    >> > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
    >> > regards

    >> Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you /need/
    >> to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
    >> MB.

    > Book says upgradeable to 512mb
    > man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it will
    > only recognise the largest

    1. He means "fastest" -- if you mix speeds, all will work at the lowest
    of the speeds used.

    2. Look at the memory section of the manual for what kind of
    combinations it accepts, in which banks, and use both sticks.

    3. Get a new shop.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 12, 2004
  14. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message

    >| a) Man in shop is using end not under nose to talk with.
    >|

    > VERY WELL SAID <G>! I'll have to remember that line...

    I saw it first. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 12, 2004
  15. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    |
    | >| a) Man in shop is using end not under nose to talk with.
    | >|

    | > VERY WELL SAID <G>! I'll have to remember that line...
    |
    | I saw it first. ;)

    No prob...it's good enough to share <g>
    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004
  16. Annette Kurten

    Plato Guest

    Hackworth wrote:

    > Most likely, you need a standard low-density 128MB memory DIMM, not a
    > high-density DIMM which is what the guy apparently sold to you; therefore,
    > your system is only able to see half of the memory on that DIMM.

    Grin. I'm redoing a P400 box and my buddy sold me a "newer" 256 stick
    for ten bucks. Can only see/use 128 but who cares :)
    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  17. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | Hackworth wrote:
    | >
    | > Most likely, you need a standard low-density 128MB memory DIMM, not a
    | > high-density DIMM which is what the guy apparently sold to you;
    therefore,
    | > your system is only able to see half of the memory on that DIMM.
    |
    | Grin. I'm redoing a P400 box and my buddy sold me a "newer" 256 stick
    | for ten bucks. Can only see/use 128 but who cares :)

    Yup! Done it myself...took a "dead" stick from work and used it in an old
    box. Wouldn't do anything in the newer mobo since it failed the mem tests,
    but the side that was good was the side the PII mobo could read <g>
    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
  18. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Annette Kurten wrote:

    >> "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    >>> Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you
    >>> /need/ to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have
    >>> 2 times 64 MB.

    >> Book says upgradeable to 512mb man in shop says take old one out
    >> unless they are the same rating as it will only recognise the largest

    > 1. He means "fastest" -- if you mix speeds, all will work at the
    > lowest of the speeds used.

    I stand corrected. Even though I was adding RAM on boxes like that,
    back in their day/decade/millennium, I never encountered this problem,
    probably because I looked up capabilities in the motherboard manual and
    never exceeded them.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 13, 2004
  19. Annette Kurten

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > | Grin. I'm redoing a P400 box and my buddy sold me a "newer" 256 stick
    > | for ten bucks. Can only see/use 128 but who cares :)
    > |
    > Yup! Done it myself...took a "dead" stick from work and used it in an old
    > box. Wouldn't do anything in the newer mobo since it failed the mem tests,
    > but the side that was good was the side the PII mobo could read <g>

    Chances are tho, and if you're thinking, well, I can use the stick on my
    next Pc. Chances are you wont be able to I'm guessing. The whole darn
    thing will be just something for your parkakeets to play with.
    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  20. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | >
    | > | Grin. I'm redoing a P400 box and my buddy sold me a "newer" 256 stick
    | > | for ten bucks. Can only see/use 128 but who cares :)
    | > |
    | > Yup! Done it myself...took a "dead" stick from work and used it in an
    old
    | > box. Wouldn't do anything in the newer mobo since it failed the mem
    tests,
    | > but the side that was good was the side the PII mobo could read <g>
    |
    | Chances are tho, and if you're thinking, well, I can use the stick on my
    | next Pc. Chances are you wont be able to I'm guessing. The whole darn
    | thing will be just something for your parkakeets to play with.

    Just another doorstop <g>
    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004