Plextor dvd burner won't play commercial dvds

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by ed, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. ed

    ed Guest

    I just got a Dell 8300 and installed a Plextor 708A dvd burner. It
    will play backed-up movie dvds or any other kind, but it won't play
    commercial dvds, i.e., those that one would purchase or rent. I have
    tried quite a few different discs, players, etc. I have also installed
    the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon 9800 video card, the latest
    Windows XP updates, etc. I ran the diagnostics on the Plextor drive
    and everything seemed ok.

    I called Dell tech support and was told that my computer may be
    configured to not play commercial discs as a piracy countermeasure,
    but I don't believe this to be correct. I told her that everbody else
    I know who has a dvd player or burner can play them, why can't I?

    What is it about the commercial discs that causes my system to lock up
    with the blue screen of death, and how can I fix it????

    Thanks for any input.
    -ed

    ed, Feb 24, 2004

  2. "ed" <> wrote in message
    > I just got a Dell 8300 and installed a Plextor 708A dvd burner. It
    > will play backed-up movie dvds or any other kind, but it won't play
    > commercial dvds, i.e., those that one would purchase or rent. I have
    > tried quite a few different discs, players, etc. I have also installed
    > the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon 9800 video card, the latest
    > Windows XP updates, etc. I ran the diagnostics on the Plextor drive
    > and everything seemed ok.
    >
    > I called Dell tech support and was told that my computer may be
    > configured to not play commercial discs as a piracy countermeasure,
    > but I don't believe this to be correct. I told her that everbody else
    > I know who has a dvd player or burner can play them, why can't I?
    >
    > What is it about the commercial discs that causes my system to lock up
    > with the blue screen of death, and how can I fix it????
    >
    > Thanks for any input.
    > -ed

    Do you have DVD player software to play it?

    Michael Black, Feb 24, 2004

  3. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:49:30 GMT, "Michael Black"
    <mblack@NO_FREAKING_michaelblack.com_SPAM_FOR_ME> wrote:

    >"ed" <> wrote in message
    >> I just got a Dell 8300 and installed a Plextor 708A dvd burner. It
    >> will play backed-up movie dvds or any other kind, but it won't play
    >> commercial dvds, i.e., those that one would purchase or rent. I have
    >> tried quite a few different discs, players, etc. I have also installed
    >> the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon 9800 video card, the latest
    >> Windows XP updates, etc. I ran the diagnostics on the Plextor drive
    >> and everything seemed ok.
    >>
    >> I called Dell tech support and was told that my computer may be
    >> configured to not play commercial discs as a piracy countermeasure,
    >> but I don't believe this to be correct. I told her that everbody else
    >> I know who has a dvd player or burner can play them, why can't I?
    >>
    >> What is it about the commercial discs that causes my system to lock up
    >> with the blue screen of death, and how can I fix it????
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input.
    >> -ed

    >Do you have DVD player software to play it?

    He said that it would play DVD-r movies, so yes. I suspect the
    crashing is related to region code detection and would recommend
    DVDgenie to reset the WinXP region code (delete the registry key) and
    possibly also to uninstall and reinstall the software player.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 24, 2004
  4. ed

    Lithurge Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:49:30 GMT, "Michael Black"
    > <mblack@NO_FREAKING_michaelblack.com_SPAM_FOR_ME> wrote:
    >

    >>"ed" <> wrote in message
    >>> I just got a Dell 8300 and installed a Plextor 708A dvd
    >>> burner. It will play backed-up movie dvds or any other
    >>> kind, but it won't play commercial dvds, i.e., those that
    >>> one would purchase or rent. I have tried quite a few
    >>> different discs, players, etc. I have also installed
    >>> the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon 9800 video card, the
    >>> latest Windows XP updates, etc. I ran the diagnostics on
    >>> the Plextor drive and everything seemed ok.
    >>>
    >>> I called Dell tech support and was told that my computer
    >>> may be configured to not play commercial discs as a
    >>> piracy countermeasure, but I don't believe this to be
    >>> correct. I told her that everbody else I know who has a
    >>> dvd player or burner can play them, why can't I?
    >>>
    >>> What is it about the commercial discs that causes my
    >>> system to lock up with the blue screen of death, and how
    >>> can I fix it????
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any input.
    >>> -ed

    >>Do you have DVD player software to play it?

    > He said that it would play DVD-r movies, so yes. I suspect
    > the crashing is related to region code detection and would
    > recommend DVDgenie to reset the WinXP region code (delete
    > the registry key) and possibly also to uninstall and
    > reinstall the software player.
    >
    > . Steve .

    Unlikely that it not being region free is the issue, unless he's
    been really unlucky, every drive I've seen allows a limited
    number of switches before locking to a single region. Plus you
    reasonably expect winddvd/powerdvd etc... to just flag that the
    disc is from another region and cannot be played. (Still it
    would be a bonus if it was as simple as this as it would save a
    lot of hassle.)

    That & the fact it blue screens suggests something is wrong with
    the system, and the O/P should insist that Dell actually check
    the machine out under the warranty (as he just got it) & replace
    the drive if needed.

    If (and I really don't believe this, but somebody should really
    ask them how this is achieved, all those games manafacturers
    would be interested) Dell are correct in their statement it's
    been configured as an anti piracy measure I think there is a
    good argument for the fact this wasn't pointed out upfront &
    that one of the main reasons for buying it was the ability to
    watch commercial dvds, and getting some form of replacement or
    refund.

    Lithurge, Feb 24, 2004
  5. ed

    Skid Guest

    "Lithurge" <> wrote in message
    > "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in
    >
    > > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:49:30 GMT, "Michael Black"
    > > <mblack@NO_FREAKING_michaelblack.com_SPAM_FOR_ME> wrote:
    > >

    > >>"ed" <> wrote in message

    > >>Do you have DVD player software to play it?

    > > He said that it would play DVD-r movies, so yes. I suspect
    > > the crashing is related to region code detection and would
    > > recommend DVDgenie to reset the WinXP region code (delete
    > > the registry key) and possibly also to uninstall and
    > > reinstall the software player.
    > >
    > > . Steve .
    > >>

    > Unlikely that it not being region free is the issue, unless he's
    > been really unlucky, every drive I've seen allows a limited
    > number of switches before locking to a single region. Plus you
    > reasonably expect winddvd/powerdvd etc... to just flag that the
    > disc is from another region and cannot be played. (Still it
    > would be a bonus if it was as simple as this as it would save a
    > lot of hassle.)
    >
    > That & the fact it blue screens suggests something is wrong with
    > the system, and the O/P should insist that Dell actually check
    > the machine out under the warranty (as he just got it) & replace
    > the drive if needed.
    >
    > If (and I really don't believe this, but somebody should really
    > ask them how this is achieved, all those games manafacturers
    > would be interested) Dell are correct in their statement it's
    > been configured as an anti piracy measure I think there is a
    > good argument for the fact this wasn't pointed out upfront &
    > that one of the main reasons for buying it was the ability to
    > watch commercial dvds, and getting some form of replacement or
    > refund.

    Dell's explanation is total horseshit. There is no such thing as a DVD
    bruner that will not PLAY commercial DVDs. The Plextor certainly does.

    Whether it will copy them depends on what software is being used, but any
    drive should play them. If not, it is either defective or misconfigured.

    But I don't think this is Dell's problem. The OP installed this drive
    himself.

    Skid, Feb 24, 2004
  6. ed

    Lithurge Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in

    > But I don't think this is Dell's problem. The OP installed
    > this drive himself.

    Good point, missed that on first read through.

    Lithurge, Feb 24, 2004
  7. On 24 Feb 2004 20:44:57 GMT, Lithurge <>
    wrote:

    >"Skid" <> wrote in
    >

    >> But I don't think this is Dell's problem. The OP installed
    >> this drive himself.
    >>

    >Good point, missed that on first read through.

    I should add that I have EXPERIENCED a system crashing only with
    region-coded DVD's, that's whyI suggested it. It's probably a registry
    error, solvable by runnng regclean or DVDgenie, or software problems
    with PowerDVD. I wouldn't look to problems with the computer itself
    or the drive, that's unneccesarily complicating the issue too much.

    .Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 25, 2004
  8. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:23:28 -0500, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >On 24 Feb 2004 20:44:57 GMT, Lithurge <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>"Skid" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> But I don't think this is Dell's problem. The OP installed
    >>> this drive himself.
    >>>

    >>Good point, missed that on first read through.

    >I should add that I have EXPERIENCED a system crashing only with
    >region-coded DVD's, that's whyI suggested it. It's probably a registry
    >error, solvable by runnng regclean or DVDgenie, or software problems
    >with PowerDVD. I wouldn't look to problems with the computer itself
    >or the drive, that's unneccesarily complicating the issue too much.

    As a further comment, the first time the drive detects a region-coded
    DVD Windows pops up a dialogue asking if it's ok to set the region
    code on the DVD player. This reqquires both Windows and the software
    player to be properly working. My bet is that the Bluescreen is
    occuring just as this routine tries to initialize. I'm thinking Ed
    has not yet seen this region-code dialogue. DVDgenie clears the
    region code info form the Windows registry so that it can have a fresh
    start. Also reinstlaling the player erases region information. As a
    last item it may be a bad Control Panel or core Windows .dll, and
    running update might cure the issue.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 25, 2004
  9. ed

    Prot Guest

    >Unlikely that it not being region free is the issue, unless he's
    >been really unlucky, every drive I've seen allows a limited
    >number of switches before locking to a single region. Plus you
    >reasonably expect winddvd/powerdvd etc... to just flag that the
    >disc is from another region and cannot be played. (Still it
    >would be a bonus if it was as simple as this as it would save a
    >lot of hassle.)
    >
    >That & the fact it blue screens suggests something is wrong with
    >the system, and the O/P should insist that Dell actually check
    >the machine out under the warranty (as he just got it) & replace
    >the drive if needed.
    >
    >If (and I really don't believe this, but somebody should really
    >ask them how this is achieved, all those games manafacturers
    >would be interested) Dell are correct in their statement it's
    >been configured as an anti piracy measure I think there is a
    >good argument for the fact this wasn't pointed out upfront &
    >that one of the main reasons for buying it was the ability to
    >watch commercial dvds, and getting some form of replacement or
    >refund.

    If the OS was installed at factory, it might be that it had the DVD
    playing capability disabled. The company where I worked previously
    did this on their network computers. We were running HPs with
    WinXP Pro and dvd drives, but they would NOT play DVDs. Not even with
    3rd party player software.

    On a side note, they would play Divx movies played from a cd if the
    codecs were installed. Strange, huh.

    Prot, Feb 25, 2004
  10. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:42:38 GMT, Prot <> wrote:

    >>Unlikely that it not being region free is the issue, unless he's
    >>been really unlucky, every drive I've seen allows a limited
    >>number of switches before locking to a single region. Plus you
    >>reasonably expect winddvd/powerdvd etc... to just flag that the
    >>disc is from another region and cannot be played. (Still it
    >>would be a bonus if it was as simple as this as it would save a
    >>lot of hassle.)
    >>
    >>That & the fact it blue screens suggests something is wrong with
    >>the system, and the O/P should insist that Dell actually check
    >>the machine out under the warranty (as he just got it) & replace
    >>the drive if needed.
    >>
    >>If (and I really don't believe this, but somebody should really
    >>ask them how this is achieved, all those games manafacturers
    >>would be interested) Dell are correct in their statement it's
    >>been configured as an anti piracy measure I think there is a
    >>good argument for the fact this wasn't pointed out upfront &
    >>that one of the main reasons for buying it was the ability to
    >>watch commercial dvds, and getting some form of replacement or
    >>refund.

    >If the OS was installed at factory, it might be that it had the DVD
    >playing capability disabled. The company where I worked previously
    >did this on their network computers. We were running HPs with
    >WinXP Pro and dvd drives, but they would NOT play DVDs. Not even with
    >3rd party player software.

    Yes but he said it would play DVD-r. As noted I think it's crashing
    when the Region setting dialogue tries to open up. I've seen this
    before, it's not an uncommon problem.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 25, 2004
  11. ed

    ed Guest

    This is the OP. Thanks to everyone for the responses. I finally got to
    the bottom of this: it was a compatability problem between the Plextor
    and the Sonic DVD Record Now software that came preinstalled with my
    computer. I removed the software, as I was not using it anyway, and
    PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank God. What a pain in the ass this was.
    -Ed

    ed, Feb 25, 2004
  12. ed

    Bill Guest

    "ed" <> wrote in message
    > This is the OP. Thanks to everyone for the responses. I finally got to
    > the bottom of this: it was a compatability problem between the Plextor
    > and the Sonic DVD Record Now software that came preinstalled with my
    > computer. I removed the software, as I was not using it anyway, and
    > PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank God. What a pain in the ass this was.
    > -Ed

    Did you, by any chance, have Sonic's DLA packet writing software installed?
    If so, that may have been the culprit. I had to remove it as it was causing
    my system to freeze/reboot when playing DVDs after getting a Sony DVD-RW
    drive back in November (to add insult to injury, the software came bundled
    with that drive). The Sonic MyDVD authoring program caused no issues for me,
    just that packet writing software.

    Bill, Feb 25, 2004