Plex 708A Won't Read CDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Boris, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    I'm running WinXP Home with a Plextor 708A burner. It's been working
    fine for about two years.

    Today, I went to view a DVD movie, and it played the movie fine.

    I then inserted a store bought audio CD, but the drive wouldn't even
    recognize it. I tried a CD with data on it (my router set up cd), and
    the Plextor wouldn't recognize it either.

    If I go into Windows Explorer, it shows the drive, but nothing listed as
    files.

    Device manager reports the device is working fine.

    When I insert a CD, the drive's light blinks amber for about 2 minutes,
    while on screen I see a flashing cd icon, like Windows is hunting for the
    cd data. After about 2 minutes, the drive's light turns green and
    flashes 5 times, then stops, and flashes five times, then
    stops...forever.

    Any ideas why the Plextor reads DVDs, but not CD anymore?

    Boris, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Boris

    *Neck & Red* Guest

    <Boris> wrote in message
    > I'm running WinXP Home with a Plextor 708A burner. It's been working
    > fine for about two years.
    >
    > Today, I went to view a DVD movie, and it played the movie fine.
    >
    > I then inserted a store bought audio CD, but the drive wouldn't even
    > recognize it. I tried a CD with data on it (my router set up cd), and
    > the Plextor wouldn't recognize it either.

    This actually seems common for Plextor drives (it happened to every single
    one I ever had). The only way to fix it is to replace it...with a better
    quality drive...like Pioneer.

    *Neck & Red*, Feb 17, 2007

  3. Boris

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Boris <Boris> wrote:
    >I'm running WinXP Home with a Plextor 708A burner. It's been working
    >fine for about two years.
    >
    >Today, I went to view a DVD movie, and it played the movie fine.
    >
    >I then inserted a store bought audio CD, but the drive wouldn't even
    >recognize it. I tried a CD with data on it (my router set up cd), and
    >the Plextor wouldn't recognize it either.
    >
    >If I go into Windows Explorer, it shows the drive, but nothing listed as
    >files.
    >
    >Device manager reports the device is working fine.
    >
    >When I insert a CD, the drive's light blinks amber for about 2 minutes,
    >while on screen I see a flashing cd icon, like Windows is hunting for the
    >cd data. After about 2 minutes, the drive's light turns green and
    >flashes 5 times, then stops, and flashes five times, then
    >stops...forever.
    >
    >Any ideas why the Plextor reads DVDs, but not CD anymore?

    Laser burnout?

    Run the Plextor self-diagnostic using a good quality CDR (e.g. Taiyo Yuden
    cyanine).

    Mike S., Feb 17, 2007
  4. Boris

    Boris Guest

    "*Neck & Red*" <> wrote in

    > <Boris> wrote in message
    >> I'm running WinXP Home with a Plextor 708A burner. It's been working
    >> fine for about two years.
    >>
    >> Today, I went to view a DVD movie, and it played the movie fine.
    >>
    >> I then inserted a store bought audio CD, but the drive wouldn't even
    >> recognize it. I tried a CD with data on it (my router set up cd),
    >> and the Plextor wouldn't recognize it either.

    > This actually seems common for Plextor drives (it happened to every
    > single one I ever had). The only way to fix it is to replace it...with
    > a better quality drive...like Pioneer.

    Hmmm...does seem common:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151956

    I burned over 400 CDs last year while converting vinyl albums to CD. I'd
    burn 5 to 10 at a sitting, and joked to myself that I was probably going
    to burn out the CD burner. Maybe this sort of started it's demise.

    Any Pioneer recommendations? I don't particularly need speed, just
    consistent, quality burns, both CD and DVD.

    Boris, Feb 17, 2007
  5. Boris

    *Neck & Red* Guest

    <Boris> wrote in message

    > Hmmm...does seem common:
    > http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151956
    >
    > I burned over 400 CDs last year while converting vinyl albums to CD. I'd
    > burn 5 to 10 at a sitting, and joked to myself that I was probably going
    > to burn out the CD burner. Maybe this sort of started it's demise.
    >
    > Any Pioneer recommendations? I don't particularly need speed, just
    > consistent, quality burns, both CD and DVD.

    I'm not sure what the current Pioneer model is, maybe the 111 or 112? I have
    the 109's and have been using Pioneer since the 105's I think!

    *Neck & Red*, Feb 18, 2007
  6. Boris

    Boris Guest

    "*Neck & Red*" <> wrote in

    > <Boris> wrote in message
    >

    >> Hmmm...does seem common:
    >> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151956
    >>
    >> I burned over 400 CDs last year while converting vinyl albums to CD.
    >> I'd burn 5 to 10 at a sitting, and joked to myself that I was
    >> probably going to burn out the CD burner. Maybe this sort of started
    >> it's demise.
    >>
    >> Any Pioneer recommendations? I don't particularly need speed, just
    >> consistent, quality burns, both CD and DVD.

    > I'm not sure what the current Pioneer model is, maybe the 111 or 112?
    > I have the 109's and have been using Pioneer since the 105's I think!

    I was just looking at the Pioneer 111 on newegg. One of the reviewers
    said it has Riplock. I do a lot of backing up of my DVDs. Doesn't
    Riplock slow the ripping down to 1/2x?

    Boris, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Boris

    Jeff Guest

    Boris <Boris> wrote in

    > I'm running WinXP Home with a Plextor 708A burner. It's been working
    > fine for about two years.
    >
    > Today, I went to view a DVD movie, and it played the movie fine.
    >
    > I then inserted a store bought audio CD, but the drive wouldn't even
    > recognize it. I tried a CD with data on it (my router set up cd), and
    > the Plextor wouldn't recognize it either.

    I had a PX-712A that was doing the same thing. It would read
    and burn DVDs just fine, but not CDs. I kept getting a "no
    seek complete" error in Nero on it. I'd had it for about 2 years
    as well before it started doing this.

    --
    Windows Vista is a defective by design, DRM
    infected downgrade - http://badvista.org

    Jeff, Feb 18, 2007
  8. Boris

    *Neck & Red* Guest

    <Boris> wrote in message
    > "*Neck & Red*" <> wrote in
    >

    >> <Boris> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Hmmm...does seem common:
    >>> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151956
    >>>
    >>> I burned over 400 CDs last year while converting vinyl albums to CD.
    >>> I'd burn 5 to 10 at a sitting, and joked to myself that I was
    >>> probably going to burn out the CD burner. Maybe this sort of started
    >>> it's demise.
    >>>
    >>> Any Pioneer recommendations? I don't particularly need speed, just
    >>> consistent, quality burns, both CD and DVD.

    >> I'm not sure what the current Pioneer model is, maybe the 111 or 112?
    >> I have the 109's and have been using Pioneer since the 105's I think!
    >>

    > I was just looking at the Pioneer 111 on newegg. One of the reviewers
    > said it has Riplock. I do a lot of backing up of my DVDs. Doesn't
    > Riplock slow the ripping down to 1/2x?

    Maybe..I really don't know. BUT..what's more important...a quality burn or
    saving a minute on the rip time?

    I don't know if my 109's have the riplock thing, but they rip DVD's like
    nobodys business :)

    *Neck & Red*, Feb 18, 2007
  9. Boris

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:31:51 -0600 from <Boris <Boris>>:
    > I'm running WinXP Home with a Plextor 708A burner. It's been working
    > fine for about two years.
    >
    > Today, I went to view a DVD movie, and it played the movie fine.
    >
    > I then inserted a store bought audio CD, but the drive wouldn't even
    > recognize it. I tried a CD with data on it (my router set up cd), and
    > the Plextor wouldn't recognize it either.

    There are two lasers, one for DVD and one for CD. Evidently the CD
    one has gone bad. Two years is not unreasonably short, if you've been
    using it a lot.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Feb 18, 2007
  10. On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 17:15:03 -0600, Boris wrote:

    > Any Pioneer recommendations? I don't particularly need speed, just
    > consistent, quality burns, both CD and DVD.

    The 112 has just been announced. The 111 is readily available.
    There is a comprehensive review of the 111 here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2wwucs

    It is a good burner, but not any better than my LG,
    Liteon or Philips/Benq.

    If you can't find a Pioneer locally, you might find
    one with an Asus badge on it. Some Asus drives are
    rebadged Pioneers.

    E.S.

    --
    Linux 2.6.18
    Remove 'X' to reply by E-Mail

    Eamon Skelton, Feb 18, 2007
  11. In article <>, Boris <Boris>
    says...
    > I'm running WinXP Home with a Plextor 708A burner. It's been working
    > fine for about two years.
    >
    > Today, I went to view a DVD movie, and it played the movie fine.
    >
    > I then inserted a store bought audio CD, but the drive wouldn't even
    > recognize it. I tried a CD with data on it (my router set up cd), and
    > the Plextor wouldn't recognize it either.
    >
    > If I go into Windows Explorer, it shows the drive, but nothing listed as
    > files.
    >
    > Device manager reports the device is working fine.
    >
    > When I insert a CD, the drive's light blinks amber for about 2 minutes,
    > while on screen I see a flashing cd icon, like Windows is hunting for the
    > cd data. After about 2 minutes, the drive's light turns green and
    > flashes 5 times, then stops, and flashes five times, then
    > stops...forever.
    >
    > Any ideas why the Plextor reads DVDs, but not CD anymore?

    First, did you try shutting down the computer (complete power off) and
    booting back up? It could be some glitch leftover from the DVD viewer
    software.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    Andrew Rossmann, Feb 18, 2007
  12. Boris

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:51:04 -0600, Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
    >First, did you try shutting down the computer (complete power off) and
    >booting back up? It could be some glitch leftover from the DVD viewer
    >software.

    If dealing with a microsoft operating system, you should also try bringing
    up the computer in safe mode and checking the drive then while less
    malware is running. To test if the CD laser is caput, you could also try
    booting an installer CD thereby bypassing windows altogether.

    AZ Nomad, Feb 18, 2007