    the percent to 100 and then restarted it and it was still there. If
    the drive is erased then were does the virus have to go, doesn't make
    sense. Anyone with an answer or tip would be greatly appreciated.
    lost cause, Aug 28, 2004

  2. lost cause

    Art Leonard Guest

    lost cause wrote:

    > I am not that knowlegable of tech stuff but I do know a little bit,
    > unfortunately I guess not enough. This is whats going on, I got a
    > virus on WIN XP it wouldn't let WIN load. So I used Norton 03 as a
    > boot disk to get rid of it, and it wouldn't let Norton scan. So I just
    > said screw it, I formated my only drive completely, it counted down
    > the percent to 100 and then restarted it and it was still there. If
    > the drive is erased then were does the virus have to go, doesn't make
    > sense. Anyone with an answer or tip would be greatly appreciated.

    Lo, could it be resident in the boot sector of your hard drive? I am
    sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to help you in this.
    I have had boot sector problems a few years back and I simply deleted
    all of the partitions and reformatted then used fdisk to recreate the
    partitions to get rid of it. Also, don't trust any floppy that has been
    in an infected machine with the write protect off. I am assuming that it
    may be more complicated today?

    Art Leonard
    Art Leonard, Aug 28, 2004

  3. lost cause

    lost cause Guest

    > Lo, could it be resident in the boot sector of your hard drive? I am
    > sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to help you in this.
    > I have had boot sector problems a few years back and I simply deleted
    > all of the partitions and reformatted then used fdisk to recreate the
    > partitions to get rid of it. Also, don't trust any floppy that has been
    > in an infected machine with the write protect off. I am assuming that it
    > may be more complicated today?
    >
    > Art Leonard

    Thanks for the info, since I am not realy that tech knowlegable, if
    you have any steps that I can take to clear the infected boot sector
    that would be great.
    lost cause, Sep 1, 2004
  4. lost cause

    VWWall Guest

    lost cause wrote:
    >> Lo, could it be resident in the boot sector of your hard drive? I am
    >>sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to help you in this.
    >>I have had boot sector problems a few years back and I simply deleted
    >>all of the partitions and reformatted then used fdisk to recreate the
    >>partitions to get rid of it. Also, don't trust any floppy that has been
    >>in an infected machine with the write protect off. I am assuming that it
    >>may be more complicated today?
    >>
    >>Art Leonard

    > Thanks for the info, since I am not realy that tech knowlegable, if
    > you have any steps that I can take to clear the infected boot sector
    > that would be great.

    There is a program called aefdisk that will clear the boot sector. You
    might try fdisk / mbr first, but some viruses lurk in other places.
    You can also use debug to write zeros to the first track, but aefdisk is
    easier.

    http://www.aefdisk.com The trial version has /delall which is what you
    need.

    Virg Wall