    3. Will it be worth the effort? Please tell me,
    particularly if you work in the UK.

    Many thanks

    Nick, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Nick

    Marc M Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > I have worked as a developer for over twenty years, both
    > permanent and freelance and as my current contract is due
    > to end shortly I have been considering taking some time
    > out to do the MCSD.NET exams. My questions are:
    > 1. How long will this take me if decide not to work?

    It depends on how fast you can understand the .Net Framework

    > 2. Is this a well recognised qualification? There does
    > seem to be some confusion between MCSE and MCSD and from
    > my assessment there is no comparison between the two, with
    > MCSD being far more difficult.

    Only if you plan to do something with it.
    In my case MCSD help me learn the M$ technology.
    For developers -- MCSD
    For Window Admins & Network dudes -- MCSE

    > 3. Will it be worth the effort? Please tell me,
    > particularly if you work in the UK.
    >
    > Many thanks

    It can help you get an interview or a job with MS partners if you are
    lucky

    MM

    Marc M, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    I was under the impression that MCSE was for cable monkeys and MCSD was for
    code monkeys.
    So long as you have worked for the alst 20 years in an OO field with similar
    class libs to the .NET fx then you should have no problem studying for these
    exams. Take your time and do one every 3 months, that seems to be what most
    people tend to do.

    Sorry for the irrevent reply ;)

    Nick, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Nick

    Guest Guest

    MM.

    Thanks for reply. What do you mean by 'if you are lucky'.
    I was under the impression that MCSD.Net was a passport to
    top quality jobs (provding you have the necessary
    experience). Am I wrong making this assumption. I would
    ultimately like to do the MCT and work for a MS partner.
    Are these jobs few and far between?

    Guest, Feb 21, 2005
  5. It is very hard to determine worth! Also I truly believe anyone can pass the
    exams if you try, and if you use the cheat sheets you can surely pass. I look
    at it like this, it does get me in front of some people who seem to think it
    is worth it. I only have the MCAD, but I am about 1.5 months away from the
    MSCD.. I do see job posting that prefer you have it. It is still up to me to
    know .NET. I personally do like having it, but I found allot of the questions
    didn't really show real world practices. for me it was just a way to
    distinguish myself from the people who didn't bother to take the exams, its
    just one more feather in your hat. I know people who have no degrees and no
    certifications and they are some of the best programmers I have ever met. I
    also know people who have all the credentials and their code is a mess.
    relevent.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGluZXJvTWlrZQ==?=, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Nick

    Roland Guest

    I Have been MCSD qualified since 1998.
    I too am a contractor in UK

    1. Difficult to say but if you have been doing the job and
    are prepared to put the effort in you should be able to do
    each exam in say 2 months (sequentially) making it about 10
    months. You could cram it and do it in less but this
    requires dedication. I first took the VB 5 track and this
    took about a year. I worked with a bloke who did the whole
    lot in sequential exam sittings (together with MCSE) and
    got it in a week, but he was very bright !

    2. I have not perceived any confusion. They are not
    comparable and I would not say either is harder than the
    other. MCSD is for Developers whereas MCSE is for System
    Administrators.

    3. It is worth it if you believe that you are good at what
    you do and want some form of professional qualification to
    help you stand out from the crowd. If you think that your
    rate will suddenly jump by £15 / hour or employers will be
    sending Taxis for you then forget it. Employers still want
    the experiance on the CV and no qualification is going to
    over ride that. Will it make you a better developer... I
    think it will make you a more broadly knowledgeable one but
    there will always be someone better out there who has never
    taken exam in their lives !

    In conclusion. Take the exams for your self esteem, your
    knowledge and possibly to get a contract that might have
    gone to another equal candidate. Consider any other
    benefits a bonus.

    I Hope this helps

    Roland, Feb 22, 2005
  7. Nick

    Guest Guest

    Roland,

    Many thanks for your reply. I appreciate all that you have
    said. I have been a C/C++ developer for many years and
    more recently Java. From what I have reviewed so far I
    would aim to complete the C# route in the time scales you
    suggest.

    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

    Guest, Feb 22, 2005
  8. <> wrote in message
    > MM.
    >
    > Thanks for reply. What do you mean by 'if you are lucky'.
    > I was under the impression that MCSD.Net was a passport to
    > top quality jobs (provding you have the necessary

    You are completely under the wrong impression.

    It certifies that you understand the framework and have completed an
    assessment to prove this. Only useful as part of the "complete package", I'm
    afraid.

    Otherwise EVERYONE would be doing it.

    Mike [MCP VB], Feb 24, 2005
  9. Nick