    Thank You
    Amel Robertson

    , Nov 29, 2003

  2. John Savard Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:11:08 -0600, wrote, in part:

    >The correct term is "Digital Video Disk"

    No it isn't!

    The correct term might be "Digital Video Disc", or it might be
    "Digital Versatile Disc", but some companies insisted on the former,
    and other companies insisted on the latter, so there was no agreement,
    and so all they are is DVDs and the letters don't even stand for
    anything!

    John Savard

    John Savard, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Pug Fugley Guest

    So does that mean we have to start calling you 'Anal Rententive Butt Pirate'
    because it's the correct term?

    Pug Fugley, Nov 29, 2003
  4. >Please STOP calling them DVDs

    >The correct term is "Digital Video Disk"

    Actually, the correct term is "Digital Versatile Disc." Note that I am using
    the correct spelling for DISC as well. The spelling of "DISK" is derived from
    "DISKETTE." A DVD is not a magnetic floppy disk. The V stands for VERSATILE
    because a DVD is capable of being more than just a mere videodisc. Indeed, it
    is also used widely for music and data storage applications, so the term
    "versatile" is more than appropriate; it is accurate.

    Secondly, chill out! You must be wound up as tight as a McCarthyist to be
    offended by a mere acronym. As for DVD reminding someone of a sexual disease,
    all I have to say about that is "that a first." It's probably nothing more
    than a coincidence, and very unique in that YOU were the only one to make light
    of this unusual "revelation." Your suggestion will most likely end up being
    ignored.

    Now, time to go back and play my DVDs! Heheheh!

    DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD

    Now how's that for perverted? ;-p - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 29, 2003
  5. what a load of sh**! This is the type of idiot that is screwing up this
    country by trying to make everything politically correct! Before anyone
    says "This isn't political", of course I know that but this type of person
    that expects everything to change simple because something "offends them"
    Get over it! If you don't like it to bad!

    DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD

    Glenn \(SBfan2000\), Nov 29, 2003
  6. wrote:
    > Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >
    > The correct term is "Digital Video Disk" Please refer to them using
    > these complete words. I am tired of hearing DVD all the time. It
    > only makes me think of the sexual disease VD. I dont want to keep
    > thinking of that. Whoever named these things DVD must have been a
    > pervert. PLEASE do NOT call them DVDs anymore.
    >
    > They are "Digital Video Disks", and that is what they should be
    > called. The term DVD must be removed.
    >
    > Thank You
    > Amel Robertson

    Nice try but we remember this post from months ago. It wasn't funny
    then and it isn't funny now.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 29, 2003
  7. LASERandDVDfan wrote:

    >>Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >>
    >>The correct term is "Digital Video Disk"

    > Actually, the correct term is "Digital Versatile Disc." Note that I am using
    > the correct spelling for DISC as well. The spelling of "DISK" is derived from
    > "DISKETTE." A DVD is not a magnetic floppy disk. The V stands for VERSATILE
    > because a DVD is capable of being more than just a mere videodisc. Indeed, it
    > is also used widely for music and data storage applications, so the term
    > "versatile" is more than appropriate; it is accurate.

    Hold on now, this is a serious debate, this "versatile vs. video."
    What's your proof? Is this the official (meaning DVD forum) meaning of
    DVD? I remember it being "digital video disc" when it was in the
    prototype stage, shortly after they stopped calling it MMCD.

    > Secondly, chill out! You must be wound up as tight as a McCarthyist to be
    > offended by a mere acronym. As for DVD reminding someone of a sexual disease,
    > all I have to say about that is "that a first." It's probably nothing more
    > than a coincidence, and very unique in that YOU were the only one to make light
    > of this unusual "revelation." Your suggestion will most likely end up being
    > ignored.

    For shame, LASERandDVDfan, you didn't recognize this as trolling. He
    makes this joke every once and a while.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 29, 2003
  8. Jay G Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote

    > Hold on now, this is a serious debate, this "versatile vs. video."
    > What's your proof? Is this the official (meaning DVD forum) meaning of
    > DVD?

    Yep:
    http://www.dvdforum.org/tech-dvdprimer.htm

    -Jay

    Jay G, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Jay G wrote:

    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote
    >
    >>Hold on now, this is a serious debate, this "versatile vs. video."
    >>What's your proof? Is this the official (meaning DVD forum) meaning of
    >>DVD?

    > Yep:
    > http://www.dvdforum.org/tech-dvdprimer.htm
    >
    > -Jay

    Darn. For a few precious minutes, I was able to believe I was right.
    :-( Still though, I don't remember "versatile" showing up until about a
    year or so after they'd come out.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 29, 2003
  10. > Darn. For a few precious minutes, I was able to believe I was right.
    >:-( Still though, I don't remember "versatile" showing up until about a
    > year or so after they'd come out.

    Well, if that were the case, then the term "DVD-Video" would be redundant

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Nov 29, 2003
  11. NOMAD205 Guest

    >Subject: Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >Date: 11/29/03 2:11 AM !!!First Boot!!!
    >
    >Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >
    >The correct term is "Digital Video Disk" Please refer to them using
    >these complete words. I am tired of hearing DVD all the time. It
    >only makes me think of the sexual disease VD. I dont want to keep
    >thinking of that. Whoever named these things DVD must have been a
    >pervert. PLEASE do NOT call them DVDs anymore.
    >
    >They are "Digital Video Disks", and that is what they should be
    >called. The term DVD must be removed.
    >
    >Thank You
    >Amel Robertson

    are you kidding or are you really that odd

    NOMAD205, Nov 29, 2003
  12. DarkMatter Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:11:08 -0600, Gave us:

    >Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >
    >The correct term is "Digital Video Disk" Please refer to them using
    >these complete words. I am tired of hearing DVD all the time. It
    >only makes me think of the sexual disease VD. I dont want to keep
    >thinking of that. Whoever named these things DVD must have been a
    >pervert. PLEASE do NOT call them DVDs anymore.
    >
    >They are "Digital Video Disks", and that is what they should be
    >called. The term DVD must be removed.
    >
    >Thank You
    >Amel Robertson

    Yer an idiot. The term is DVD. You term was one suggested term.
    Another was Digital Versatile Disk. It is argued over those two, and
    others even.

    That is one argument. The fact is the three letters are the only
    thing that HAS been standardized on. Guess which three letters?

    D V D

    THAT IS the term that has been standardized worldwide. The meaning
    of the acronym is as argued about as often as the term VHS has been
    and still is. The fact remains that the three letter reference is
    what is recognized throughout the industry, and the world, and is used
    far more often than any drawn out moniker derived from them ever is or
    will be.

    Please STOP posting stupid shit, and get a clue about the industry
    your are dabbling in.

    DarkMatter, Nov 29, 2003
  13. Animeg3282 Guest

    >what a load of sh**! This is the type of idiot that is screwing up this
    >country by trying to make everything politically correct!

    Politically Correct and PC no longer have actual meanings. Maybe you could say
    it's 'things that right wingers don't like', but even that's a strecth.

    Animeg3282, Nov 29, 2003
  14. in article PoUxb.48014$, Grand Inquisitor at
    wrote on 11/28/03 7:29 PM:

    > LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >
    >>> Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >>>
    >>> The correct term is "Digital Video Disk"

    >> Actually, the correct term is "Digital Versatile Disc." Note that I am using
    >> the correct spelling for DISC as well. The spelling of "DISK" is derived
    >> from
    >> "DISKETTE." A DVD is not a magnetic floppy disk. The V stands for VERSATILE
    >> because a DVD is capable of being more than just a mere videodisc. Indeed,
    >> it
    >> is also used widely for music and data storage applications, so the term
    >> "versatile" is more than appropriate; it is accurate.
    >>

    > Hold on now, this is a serious debate, this "versatile vs. video."
    > What's your proof? Is this the official (meaning DVD forum) meaning of
    > DVD? I remember it being "digital video disc" when it was in the
    > prototype stage, shortly after they stopped calling it MMCD.

    The following is copied from my postings on the recent "Differences in DVD
    Formats" thread.

    According to the DVD Forum it's Digital Versatile Disk:
    http://www.dvdforum.org

    According to the USTPO:
    Time Warner filed for the trademark Digital Versatile Disc for the DVD Forum
    on September 28, 1998. It was published for opposition on September 5,
    2000. The US Patent and Trademark Office granted the trademark Registration
    status on May 20, 2003. This trademark is legally recognized around the
    world. The USPTO recognizes a first use and first use in commerce date of
    December, 1997.

    "Digital Video Disc" has never been submitted for trademark status, not that
    it *could* be registered.

    How it was "first conceived" is irrelevant. It *is* not Digital Video Disc.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 29, 2003
  15. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >>Darn. For a few precious minutes, I was able to believe I was right.
    >>:-( Still though, I don't remember "versatile" showing up until about a
    >>year or so after they'd come out.

    > Well, if that were the case, then the term "DVD-Video" would be redundant

    I know, but I believe that was always meant to specify a DVD Video
    player, apart from DVD-ROMs and other devices.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 29, 2003
  16. John Savard wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:11:08 -0600, wrote, in part:
    >
    >>The correct term is "Digital Video Disk"

    > No it isn't!
    >
    > The correct term might be "Digital Video Disc", or it might be
    > "Digital Versatile Disc", but some companies insisted on the former,
    > and other companies insisted on the latter, so there was no agreement,
    > and so all they are is DVDs and the letters don't even stand for
    > anything!

    ....Uh, do we HAVE to post this every time he posts this exact same joke
    every year?

    I mean, I know it's his fourth year running, and it's tradition and all
    (y'know, the old 1998-99 nostalgia, when it was cool to have heard of
    it), but really, wouldn't a public funeral for the joke be more of a
    unifying service?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 29, 2003
  17. Guest

    On 29 Nov 2003 03:12:04 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    wrote:

    >>Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >>
    >>The correct term is "Digital Video Disk"

    >Actually, the correct term is "Digital Versatile Disc." Note that I am using
    >the correct spelling for DISC as well. The spelling of "DISK" is derived from
    >"DISKETTE." A DVD is not a magnetic floppy disk. The V stands for VERSATILE
    >because a DVD is capable of being more than just a mere videodisc. Indeed, it
    >is also used widely for music and data storage applications, so the term
    >"versatile" is more than appropriate; it is accurate.
    >
    >Secondly, chill out! You must be wound up as tight as a McCarthyist to be
    >offended by a mere acronym. As for DVD reminding someone of a sexual disease,
    >all I have to say about that is "that a first." It's probably nothing more
    >than a coincidence, and very unique in that YOU were the only one to make light
    >of this unusual "revelation." Your suggestion will most likely end up being
    >ignored.
    >
    >Now, time to go back and play my DVDs! Heheheh!
    >
    >DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD
    >
    >Now how's that for perverted? ;-p - Reinhart

    So why dont they just call them DD's then. It's easier to say and
    since DD comes after CD (the next letter in the alphabet), ot would
    only make sense to call them DD's. They just put that "V" in there
    because they wanted to use these things to cover up sexual diseases.
    Before I got married, I would ask each woman I crawled in bed with if
    she had VD, before I would undress. If I was still single now, and
    asked them, they would probably tell me "yes, I have a whole
    collection of them", now a days. Sorry, but this is just WRONG. They
    could have used any other letter of the alphabet. Whoever started
    calling them DVD's was a pervert. This just shows the degeneration of
    our whole society. They know that sex sells, even if it's a sexual
    disease they are making fun of. Calling it a DD would have been just
    fine, and even make more sense, since they are nothing more than
    "souped up" Cd's anyhow. I fully intend to write to the Federal Trade
    Commission and complain. Like I said before, this is just WRONG !!!!.
    Call them DD's, call them by their full name, or call them anything
    else but NOT DVD's. It seems like everyone is advertising these
    stupid things lately anyhow, and with the holidays it's even worse.
    It's almost like the whole socirty has gone insane with sexual disease
    madness.

    If any of you manufacturers of these things are reading this, be
    assurred, until you change the name of them, I will NEVER own
    anythings associated with Digital V????? Disks. I am not alone
    either, because I have several friends who feel the same way. In fact
    one of my friends bought a new computer and it had what was called a
    DVD CD player installed in it. She called me and was very upset. She
    said that she did not want a DVD player, but the computer was not sold
    without them. I went over there and removed it, and threw it away.
    Then I gave her one of my old CD players and installed that instead.

    You haven't heard the end of this. I fully intend to have this name
    changed, and will taket this matter to the US Supreme Courts if
    necessary.

    , Nov 29, 2003
  18. Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:29:51 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >DVD? I remember it being "digital video disc" when it was in the
    >prototype stage, shortly after they stopped calling it MMCD.

    There you go. They were called MMCD, which would have been perfectly
    acceptable, but some pervert changed the name, because sex sells.
    These advertisers will do anything to make a buck, and this is
    blatently obvious in this case.

    , Nov 29, 2003
  19. Jay G Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote...
    > Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > >>Darn. For a few precious minutes, I was able to believe I was right.
    > >>:-( Still though, I don't remember "versatile" showing up until about a
    > >>year or so after they'd come out.

    > > Well, if that were the case, then the term "DVD-Video" would be

    redundant

    > I know, but I believe that was always meant to specify a DVD Video
    > player, apart from DVD-ROMs and other devices.

    For a while DVD meant "Digital Video Disc." However, when
    DVD-ROM and DVD-A specs were added to the format, it
    became apparent that the acronym wasn't 100% correct. So
    someone came up with the clever substitution of the word
    "Video" with "Versatile," which meant that the acronym stayed
    the same, but the meaning changed. This was all done before
    the DVD format was released.

    The earliest that the change to "Digital Versatile Disc" was
    mentioned is 1995:
    http://www.google.com/groups?selm=4an97j$

    -Jay

    Jay G, Nov 29, 2003
  20. Phylter Guest

    astounded us with:

    > On 29 Nov 2003 03:12:04 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>>Please STOP calling them DVDs
    >>>
    >>>The correct term is "Digital Video Disk"

    >>Actually, the correct term is "Digital Versatile Disc." Note that I am
    >>using the correct spelling for DISC as well. The spelling of "DISK" is
    >>derived from "DISKETTE." A DVD is not a magnetic floppy disk. The V
    >>stands for VERSATILE because a DVD is capable of being more than just a
    >>mere videodisc. Indeed, it is also used widely for music and data
    >>storage applications, so the term "versatile" is more than appropriate;
    >>it is accurate.
    >>
    >>Secondly, chill out! You must be wound up as tight as a McCarthyist to
    >>be offended by a mere acronym. As for DVD reminding someone of a sexual
    >>disease, all I have to say about that is "that a first." It's probably
    >>nothing more than a coincidence, and very unique in that YOU were the
    >>only one to make light of this unusual "revelation." Your suggestion
    >>will most likely end up being ignored.
    >>
    >>Now, time to go back and play my DVDs! Heheheh!
    >>
    >>DVD DVD DVD DVD DVD
    >>
    >>Now how's that for perverted? ;-p - Reinhart

    > So why dont they just call them DD's then. It's easier to say and
    > since DD comes after CD (the next letter in the alphabet), ot would
    > only make sense to call them DD's. They just put that "V" in there
    > because they wanted to use these things to cover up sexual diseases.
    > Before I got married, I would ask each woman I crawled in bed with if
    > she had VD, before I would undress.

    WHAT is your PROBLEM dude??
    Seriously, get a LIFE, sheesh, then go see a shrink!!

    --
    Phylter
    Denizen of Darkness #44 & AFJC Antipodean Attaché

    Phylter, Nov 29, 2003