Please, Sir! May I have another!

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Bill Bixby, May 7, 2004.

  1. Bill Bixby

    Bill Bixby Guest

    I'm totally wracked. I was up till 3 last night studying, tried to
    catch 4 hours sleep and resume at 7 but the damn cat started howling
    at 5am. That woke me up, and with all the coffee I had the night
    before, I couldn't get back to sleep. I can't imagine how bad that
    cat would be if it still had it's balls. I hammer-tossed the cat in
    the direction of Canada and got back to studying some more.

    Thank god for him, though. I had a feeling I needed to really review
    automated/unattended installs. I was feeling hazy on that stuff and
    as it turns out, half the test focused on it.

    Well, I just finished taking the MS Windows XP exam. I guess I really
    underestimated this test. I know there were a lot of "paper" MCSEs in
    the
    NT4 days but I don't think that's gonna be the case anymore. This
    test was
    HARD.

    I picked up a cram book and it did an OK job. It was 430 pages and I
    went
    though it in about seven days. Last night and this morning put
    together I
    spent about 9 hours reviewing and taking practice tests. So basically
    about
    50 hours total.

    The test really went into a lot of depth, though, and the cram book
    just
    scratched the surface. I'd be reading a question and thinking, "okay,
    know where they're going with this, I know what the solution will be".
    Nope. Every single question was tough. There wasn't a single
    "gimme".

    Each question would intentionally discard the obvious answers or give
    scenarios where the most common solution wasn't applicable, so you
    have to
    know all those backwater voodoo solutions. There *were* a lot of
    real-world
    scenarios but they were the kind you would typically approach in real
    life
    with a trial-and-error methodology. Obviously, that isn't an option
    on a
    test. You had to be able to mentally troubleshoot a minimum of three
    steps
    ahead. It was crazy.

    It was 50 questions and I finished with about three minutes left on
    the
    clock. I had enough time to review two questions and then got peaced
    out to
    the "Printing Report" screen. Passing score was 700 and I got a 737.

    Doesn't get any closer than that. Guess I got rethink my strategy
    going into the core exams.

    Bill Bixby, May 7, 2004

  2. >I know there were a lot of "paper" MCSEs in
    >the
    >NT4 days but I don't think that's gonna be the case anymore.

    You are mistaken, there are more than ever.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 7, 2004

  3. Ouch..
    The exams are tough. Every certification exam sets you up to fail the next.
    Studying doesn't cut it - someone needs to write a guide on how to detect
    the little secret microsoft voodoo methodology.

    I must also note that the Outlook Express spell checker wants to capitalize
    "microsoft".
    I won't give them the dignity!

    Sartan Dragonbane, May 7, 2004
  4. Bill Bixby

    Bill Bixby Guest

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >I know there were a lot of "paper" MCSEs in
    > >the
    > >NT4 days but I don't think that's gonna be the case anymore.

    > You are mistaken, there are more than ever.
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Well, according to the MS site, only about five thousand MCSE 2003
    certs have been issued (and you have to figure a good portion of those
    were upgrade certs requiring only the 2 tests).

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certified.asp

    I think you are probably lamenting the current state of affairs (2000
    and NT4 certs) and I was speculating on things going forward.

    Bill Bixby, May 8, 2004
  5. Bill Bixby

    Neil Guest

    (Bill Bixby) wrote in

    > Well, according to the MS site, only about five thousand MCSE 2003
    > certs have been issued

    it's early and there are always those who will cheat to get what they want
    so the paper MCSE's will appear...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 9, 2004
  6. Bill Bixby

    Bill Bixby Guest

    Neil <> wrote in message news:<Xns94E49D15F22A0neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248.16>...
    > (Bill Bixby) wrote in
    >
    > > Well, according to the MS site, only about five thousand MCSE 2003
    > > certs have been issued

    > it's early and there are always those who will cheat to get what they want
    > so the paper MCSE's will appear...

    Well, yes, some people will find a way to cheat at anything. I'm sure
    there are a few people out there with CISSP certs that somehow cheated
    to get it.

    The problem with the 'paper' MCSEs is that they *weren't* cheating.
    Their were a lot of people that were able to study for the tests and
    legitimately pass them but who bore no semblance to a qualified
    professional in real-life situations. I think that will be sharply
    reduced going forward and add more credibility to the exams and certs.

    Man, sounds like you guys just want something to bitch about.
    Shouldn't you be using Unix?

    Bill Bixby, May 11, 2004