    two, and then was mystified to discover I could no longer access the central
    servers. A colleague came in and explained to me that I’d managed to crash
    the Cisco routers and knock out much of the local network...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 3, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Seems like this sort of thing, where a harmless-looking nmap scan can wreak
    > havoc with your routers, is distressingly common
    > <http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Please-scan-softly-your-router-could-crash-1032725.html>.
    >
    > Nmap has been around for years; don’t the folks at Cisco do any testing with
    > it?
    >
    > I remember many years ago at a former employer, I think I was trying to
    > teach myself Java and network programming, I downloaded an RFC on the Ping
    > protocol and implemented it in a test program. Only I didn’t understand the
    > difference between UDP ping and ICMP ping. I scanned an address range or
    > two, and then was mystified to discover I could no longer access the central
    > servers. A colleague came in and explained to me that I’d managed to crash
    > the Cisco routers and knock out much of the local network...

    Yeah, its nuts that a router can crash to the point where its unable to
    be accessed even for management.

    Thankfully bittorrents constant hammering of udp and many half open
    timed out connections has finally made consumer router manufacturers get
    their crap together.

    I still managed to crash a wifi hotspot for everyone opening utorrent on
    the laptop while using it.

    Richard, Jul 3, 2010