Please respond with reasonable answers. [Laptop has a unique identifying code number -- what is this

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Radium, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. Radium

    Radium Guest

    On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/1dec479377e42224?hl=en&
    :

    >Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
    address? Or something totally different?

    What is this number called?

    No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    really interested in this.
    Radium, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Radium

    Vanguard Guest

    "Radium" wrote in message
    > Whiskers wrote
    >
    >>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    > Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
    > address? Or something totally different?
    >
    > What is this number called?
    >
    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.

    MAC address.
    Vanguard, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Radium

    Muze Groops Guest

    Re: Please respond with reasonable answers. [Laptop has a uniqueidentifying code number -- what is this number called?]

    Radium wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/1dec479377e42224?hl=en&
    > :
    >
    >> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    > Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
    > address? Or something totally different?
    >
    > What is this number called?
    >
    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.

    the mac address

    ....or is it?
    Muze Groops, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Radium

    Stanley Guest

    Radium wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/1dec479377e42224?hl=en&
    >>

    >> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    > Is this "number" the MAC address?

    Yes

    > Or the locally administered network
    > address?

    Yes, can be tied to the mac address

    > Or something totally different?

    Media Access Control address
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
    http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/
    http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

    Stanley, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Re: Please respond with reasonable answers. [Laptop has a uniqueidentifying code number -- what is this number called?]

    Radium wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/1dec479377e42224?hl=en&
    > :
    >

    >>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    > Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
    > address? Or something totally different?
    >
    > What is this number called?
    >
    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.

    The basis for your question, i.e. "a unique identifying code number"
    does not narrow it down to a single answer. Perhaps you mean the serial
    number on the bottom of most laptops, perhaps you mean the MAC address
    of the networking device in the laptop. Until you are more specific, it
    would be very hard to give a definitive answer. If you mean the MAC
    address, it's an twelve character alphanumeric identifier assigned to
    networking devices such as wireless cards and ethernet cards. They are
    supposed to be unique, but accidents can happen. And if you have two or
    more networking devices then you have two or more MAC addresses in the
    same machine.

    If you'd be so kind as to use Google and type in "define MAC address"
    there's a lot more information available than I'd care to retype.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Radium

    PeeCee Guest

    "Radium" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/1dec479377e42224?hl=en&
    > :
    >
    >>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    > Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
    > address? Or something totally different?
    >
    > What is this number called?
    >
    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.

    Radium

    Even though your quote is lacking sufficient detail to place it in context
    the most likely 'number' your quote refers to is what is know as a TCP/IP
    address. The TCP/IP networking protocol is the protocol used on the Internet
    and nowdays the majority of Local Area Networks.

    TCP/IP networking works by assigning a unique number to each computer or
    device connected to the network.
    This number can be permanently assigned (static address) or lent temporarly
    from a pool of address's (dynamic) address. The numbers are made up of four
    octets separated by a dot. The numbers range from 0.0.0.0 to
    255.255.255.255, for example 64.233.187.99 is the Internet address for
    Google.com.
    Therefore for your Laptop to connect to a TCP/IP network you must either
    assign a TCP/IP address to it or have one granted to it by some other
    authority.

    Depending on your method of connection to the Internet either your Laptop
    (for dial up) or your Router (for broadband) will be assigned a TCP/IP
    number from your ISP's pool of numbers that it has bought the rights to.
    You could think of this TCP/IP address as akin to a house number/street
    address for your regular snail mail.

    There are many reference documents available on the Web that will give you
    chapter and verse on the tiniest detail of TCP/IP. For example
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=tcp/ip &btnG=Search&meta=
    I can only encourage you to read them up.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 1, 2007
  7. Radium wrote:

    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote

    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/1dec479377e42224?hl=en&
    > :

    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.

    Uhm. Finally, this was the 3rd thread from you without any
    clarification "which" unique number you are talking about and how the
    number would be transmitted. There is the MAC address , the CPUID and the
    serial number of your(?) laptop. The former two numbers are captured by
    programs like windows activation/validation, and munged to a code that's
    transferred regularly. Some other programs may as well grab the IDs without
    munging them, and send them elsewhere.
    In addition, the serial number of most modern laptops as printed on the
    label, is also imprinted into the bios chip - some management software (DMI
    or other) can get that one as well.
    If you are really paranoid, don't use a computer or at least do not connect
    it to the internet, or only use public computers at internet cafes where
    you don't need to prove identity.
    Walter Mautner, Jul 1, 2007
  8. Radium

    Ghostrider Guest

    Radium wrote:

    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/1dec479377e42224?hl=en&
    > :
    >

    >>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    > Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
    > address? Or something totally different?
    >
    > What is this number called?
    >
    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.

    The distinctive identification is probably the MAC address. However,
    it has no meaning unless it can be linked to other information. IOW,
    it is just a number. Any local administrator can use the MAC address
    to assign an identification to the laptop but the relevance is between
    the laptop and the interested network. In this instance, the laptop
    might be known by its assigned domain name, e.g., Radium226.

    From this point, where else do you want to take this discussion?
    Ghostrider, Jul 1, 2007
  9. Radium

    gangle Guest

    "Radium" wrote
    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers wrote

    > >Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    > >is identified by any network to which it tries to connect.

    > Is this "number" the MAC address? Or the locally administered network
    > address? Or something totally different?
    >
    > What is this number called?
    >
    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.

    No offense, but your subject line is WAY too fucking long for a
    newsgroup text post. And you have no clue what is off topic in
    this NG; for instance, my calling you a vacuous, dim-bulb google
    grouper is no more or less off topic than discussing numbers
    stamped on a laptop computer. HTH
    gangle, Jul 1, 2007
  10. Radium

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Hey dumb ****. It's called a MAC address, you have been told that numerous
    times. Now repaet after me MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address
    MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC
    address MAC address MAC address MAC address MAC address got it now?

    pcbutts1, Jul 1, 2007