    3. Has a decent storage capacity
    4 Is free

    Thanks
    Buffy, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Buffy

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you considered Gmail?
    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:16:39 +0000, in
    <cviha6$v15$2surf.net>
    Buffy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Buffy

    Vanguard Guest

    "Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in
    message news:cviha6$v15$2surf.net...
    > Just wondering if anybody had any recommendations on a good webmail
    > client aprt from Hotmail
    >
    > 1.I'm looking for one that doesnt expire if you dont use it
    > 2. Has some sort of virus protection
    > 3. Has a decent storage capacity
    > 4 Is free
    >
    > Thanks

    I take it that freedom2surf.net doesn't provide any e-mail services? It
    seems they do according to the list of help topics at
    http://www.freedom2surf.net/websiteandemail/guide.php#emailsetup. As
    long as you are using them for Internet connectivity, your e-mail
    account with them won't expire.

    If it is a free account and you abandon it then expect it to get killed.
    Even paid accounts will get deleted if abandoned (i.e., no more
    payments). No one is going to leave around an account that you never
    use! Yahoo Mail accounts expire after 4 months of non-use; see
    http://snipurl.com/d043. If you haven't used it in that time, you don't
    need a Yahoo Mail account. Hell, you could use the calendar feature to
    send yourself a reminder e-mail every 3 months that you need to relogin
    into your Yahoo account to keep it from going dormant and getting
    deleted, or setup a reminder in Outlook, or use a utility like Phatsoft
    TMR to add a reminder to Task Scheduler. If you can't be bothered to
    log into your free account at least once within 4 months then why bother
    having the account?

    Yahoo, as with Hotmail, has virus scanning which cannot be turned off
    (i.e., Yahoo will not allow the proliferation of detected viruses
    despite your ulterior motives for wanting to get one). Yahoo Mail scans
    attachments for both inbound and outbound messages whereas Hotmail only
    scans inbound e-mails; see http://snipurl.com/cf1x. You have to pay for
    the premium service to clean the infected attachment so you can still
    get it; otherwise, for freebie accounts, the attachment gets stripped if
    it was found infected. However, their use of anti-virus scanning
    software does NOT obviate the need for you to run your own anti-virus
    product.

    Yahoo Mail is free. However, the freebie accounts only provide you with
    the webmail interface UNLESS you use YahooPOPs
    (http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net). YahooPOPs runs as a local
    HTTP-to-POP3 protocol converter proxy. You connect to it using any
    POP3-compliant e-mail client and it then connects to Yahoo Mail. You
    can connect using clear text logins (the standard POP3 login method)
    which means anyone can sniff out your login credentials, or you can use
    MD5 hashing or even HTTPS (SSL) to secure your login credentials. You
    can use YahooPOPs to both receive from and send through your Yahoo
    account. That way, all sent e-mails will have headers that show they
    originated from your account on the Yahoo domain. However, since it is
    a free account, Yahoo will append their spam promo signature onto every
    e-mail sent using that free account, just like Hotmail does for their
    freebie accounts. That makes your e-mails look amateurish. Whether
    using a freebie Yahoo or freebie Hotmail account, this signature can
    trigger anti-spam software because, well, there is spam at the end of
    it. So you might want to use your ISP's SMTP server for outbound
    e-mails to eliminate the spam signature. You would yank inbound e-mails
    from Yahoo using YahooPOPs but you can send using your ISP's SMTP
    server.

    Note: There are some Yahoo domains where POP3 and SMTP server access is
    still free. I think Yahoo.co.uk is one of those. However, apparently
    they check your IP address during signup to see if you are within their
    region to allow you to have a free account on that domain. Yahoo USA
    (yahoo.com) does not provide free access to their POP3 and SMTP servers,
    so use YahooPOPs.

    No other webmail provider than Hotmail offers WebDAV access (which is
    the scripting used by Outlook and Outlook Express to work with a Hotmail
    account). Finding an e-mail provider that gives free access to their
    POP3 and SMTP servers would be tough since there is real money involved
    in providing those resources and that can handle a large user load. The
    cost for providing the webmail interface is usually offset by the ads on
    those pages. There are some products that can read from various
    HTTPmail providers (but they cannot send using them). One such e-mail
    monitor is ePrompter. I haven't used that one in a long time. I prefer
    having POP3-like access to Yahoo Mail using YahooPOPs so I can use any
    POP3-compliant e-mail client against it whether that be Outlook, Outlook
    Express, Thunderbird, Pegasus, or e-mail monitors, like PopTray and
    Magic Mail Monitor (which include rules so you can use them to delete
    spam off the server rather than download it and have to delete it
    locally).

    If you don't want to run a local proxy to give you POP3 access to
    Yahoo's HTTPmail account,and you don't want to pay for Yahoo's premium
    service to get POP3/SMTP access, and you cannot create an account on a
    Yahoo domain that still provides free access to their POP3 and SMTP
    servers, you could use as service like Access-4-free.com. There is a
    one-time signup fee of $4.95. There is also a $10/month *maximum* fee
    BUT that is only if you actually dial-up to them. They offer a dial-up
    service for free for up to 10 hours of online time. You get charged for
    $1/hour after the 10-hour quota up to a maximum of $10/month (so it
    never gets more expensive than that). However, those 10 hours and
    $1/hour thereafter are ONLY applicable if you actually use their dial-up
    service. If you already have Internet connectivity, you won't be using
    their dial-up service at all so you never use up any of your dial-up
    quota. Effectively you get free access to their POP3 and SMTP servers.
    They do not measure how much time you have been connected to their
    POP3/SMTP servers. They only measure how much time you have been
    connected to their dial-up modem pool - which you won't be using. In
    almost 2 years that I used them, I've never had any charges for
    accessing my mailbox using their POP3 and SMTP servers while connected
    using my own ISP. Also, if your regular ISP service has an outage, you
    could use Access-4-free.com as a backup to give you dial-up access to
    your e-mail accounts. If all you do is connect to get your e-mails and
    then disconnect immediately thereafter then it is highly unlikely that
    you would accrue over 10 hours in a month - unless you receive or send
    huge e-mails (which is stupid because e-mail is not a reliable or robust
    file transfer scheme). While is a bit long
    for an e-mail address, you can use their alternate domain to shorten it
    to . I stopped using Access-4-free.com last fall
    because I simply had too many accounts all over the place and wanted to
    simplify. If YahooPOPs wasn't around or stopped working with freebie
    Yahoo Mail accounts, I'd be back with Access-4-free.com since I still
    want an account which is independent of whomever I happen to be using as
    my ISP at the time.

    There might be other e-mail or Internet providers (that include e-mail
    service since that is your goal) that work similar to access-4-free.com.
    The trick is to never use their dial-up service since you already have
    your own Internet provider. You access their POP3 and SMTP servers
    using your own connection. That way, there are no dial-up charges
    because you never use up any of your dial-up quota. You could also
    start Googling around to find other freebie e-mail providers.

    Vanguard, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Buffy

    Buffy Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > Have you considered Gmail?
    > http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html
    >

    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:16:39 +0000, in
    > <cviha6$v15$2surf.net>
    > Buffy scrawled:
    >

    >>Just wondering if anybody had any recommendations on a good webmail
    >>client aprt from Hotmail
    >>
    >>1.I'm looking for one that doesnt expire if you dont use it
    >>2. Has some sort of virus protection
    >>3. Has a decent storage capacity
    >>4 Is free
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Yeah I would but maybe I'm just thick Mike. Where on eatrh do you get it
    from? I've tried the link. Is this the beta version or is there a
    general release?

    Thanks
    Buffy, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Buffy

    Vanguard Guest

    "Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in
    message news:cvivrv$3ur$2surf.net...
    > °Mike° wrote:
    >> Have you considered Gmail?
    >> http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html
    >>

    >> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:16:39 +0000, in
    >> <cviha6$v15$2surf.net>
    >> Buffy scrawled:
    >>

    >>>Just wondering if anybody had any recommendations on a good webmail
    >>>client aprt from Hotmail
    >>>
    >>>1.I'm looking for one that doesnt expire if you dont use it
    >>>2. Has some sort of virus protection
    >>>3. Has a decent storage capacity
    >>>4 Is free
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    > Yeah I would but maybe I'm just thick Mike. Where on eatrh do you get
    > it from? I've tried the link. Is this the beta version or is there a
    > general release?
    >
    > Thanks

    Gmail is still in beta version. Choose to use at your own risk. It
    still has problems (see
    http://www.gmailforums.com/index.php?showtopic=8066) because, well, it's
    still beta. You can get an account only through an invite sent from a
    current Gmail user. Many Gmail users send their invites to isnoop.net
    (click on the Gmail invite link) so the invites get distributed
    immediately when someone wants one (if there are any available) rather
    than stroking their ego by being so gracious as to dole them out at
    their discretion.

    When accepting a Gmail invite, I suggest to use an e-mail alias since
    you don't know to whom you are divulging your e-mail address. The
    inviter will see the e-mail address to where the invite got sent (i.e.,
    your e-mail address). Not only that, Gmail automatically adds those
    invitees to the inviter's address book! Spammers would prefer users
    divulge their valid e-mail address. Use Sneakemail or Trashmail to
    create an e-mail alias or use a disposable webmail account to get the
    invite.

    Vanguard, Feb 23, 2005

  6. > "If it is a free account and you abandon it then expect it to get killed.
    > Even paid accounts will get deleted if abandoned (i.e., no more payments).
    > "

    I used ukonline for internet connection and email. Abandoned it over 5 years
    ago, and found the email account still active last week! I guess they have
    just forgotten to delete it :)

    Buffy, if you want a gmail account then I can give you an invite. For some
    reason I have 50 to give away!

    Post your email address here if you want one.

    **SS**
    secret squiddle, Feb 23, 2005
  7. Buffy

    Buffy Guest

    secret squiddle wrote:
    >>"If it is a free account and you abandon it then expect it to get killed.
    >>Even paid accounts will get deleted if abandoned (i.e., no more payments).
    >>"

    > I used ukonline for internet connection and email. Abandoned it over 5 years
    > ago, and found the email account still active last week! I guess they have
    > just forgotten to delete it :)
    >
    > Buffy, if you want a gmail account then I can give you an invite. For some
    > reason I have 50 to give away!
    >
    > Post your email address here if you want one.
    >
    > **SS**

    but dont like operamail either

    Thanks
    Buffy, Feb 24, 2005
  8. "Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in message
    > secret squiddle wrote:
    >>>"If it is a free account and you abandon it then expect it to get killed.
    >>>Even paid accounts will get deleted if abandoned (i.e., no more
    >>>payments). "

    >> I used ukonline for internet connection and email. Abandoned it over 5
    >> years ago, and found the email account still active last week! I guess
    >> they have just forgotten to delete it :)
    >>
    >> Buffy, if you want a gmail account then I can give you an invite. For
    >> some reason I have 50 to give away!
    >>
    >> Post your email address here if you want one.
    >>
    >> **SS**

    > but dont like operamail either
    >
    > Thanks

    Invite has been sent, but my username is not the same one I use in the
    groups. Look out for any mail from *gmail.com ;-)

    Enjoy!

    **SS**
    secret squiddle, Feb 24, 2005
  9. Buffy

    Buffy Guest

    secret squiddle wrote:
    > "Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in message

    >>>I used ukonline for internet connection and email. Abandoned it over 5
    >>>years ago, and found the email account still active last week! I guess
    >>>they have just forgotten to delete it :)
    >>>
    >>>Buffy, if you want a gmail account then I can give you an invite. For
    >>>some reason I have 50 to give away!
    >>>
    >>>Post your email address here if you want one.
    >>>
    >>>**SS**

    >>but dont like operamail either
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > Invite has been sent, but my username is not the same one I use in the
    > groups. Look out for any mail from *gmail.com ;-)
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > **SS**

    Bit cheeky this chap, but couldnt do me another invite for me good you
    please, so that my missus can have her own account??

    Thanks
    Buffy, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Buffy

    Vanguard Guest

    "Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in
    message news:cvkvmg$kqp$2surf.net...
    > secret squiddle wrote:
    >> "Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:cvkova$imc$2surf.net...

    >>>but dont like operamail either

    >> Invite has been sent, but my username is not the same one I use in
    >> the groups. Look out for any mail from *gmail.com ;-)
    >>

    > Bit cheeky this chap, but couldnt do me another invite for me good you
    > please, so that my missus can have her own account??

    After you open your own Gmail account, you might have your own invites
    to dispense so you could then dispense one to your wife. Otherwise, you
    can go to isnoop.net and click on the Gmail invite link to get one if
    they have any available. Rather than stroke their ego in doling out the
    invites, send all but one or two of them (keep a couple in reserve) to
    isnoop.net so users can get them when they want.

    Be aware that squiddle should have not asked you to divulge your e-mail
    address in this public forum. Not many spambots bother to read the body
    of e-mails looking for e-mail addresses, but a few do. Since your
    e-mail address was munged, he couldn't sent his invite to you by
    unmunging your e-mail address (assuming your munged e-mail address is
    actually valid when unmunged).

    Vanguard, Feb 24, 2005