    They posted an update with a bit of spin, but the bottom line is that, as far as I know, nobody is steering the ship.

    They promise a brand-new update soon with db-driven review system, bla bla bla.

    But the fact is that, with a few minor exceptions, DVD File has lay abandoned for a few weeks now.
    UN Owen, Nov 10, 2004

  2. UN Owen

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "UN Owen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I post regularly here, but since I'm heavily involved in the online DVD
    >community I gotta hide things up here.
    >
    > But this is straight from one of the site's main contributors.

    And you felt it was anyone else's business that you needed to post this
    personal and private information here, why exactly?

    You have no compunctions about divulging personal information on others,
    yet have to hide your own identity.

    How classy.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 10, 2004

  3. UN Owen

    UN Owen Guest

    I was just setting the record straight, Zyber
    All you seem to know how to do is use curse words at people in this newsgroup which is uncalled for.

    And as you stated in an earlier post - only Peter Bracke had passwords and access rights to the server and he did not
    share them with his staff when he left.

    It seems to me that if he wanted the site to keep running and be functional in his absence,
    he would have left passwords and access rights to someone he trusted on his staff.

    This tells me that he didn't trust anyone and he wanted full control of his site.

    Well, now that he is gone, no disc news is being updated and very few new reviews are being posted.

    I hate to see it go away, but that appears to be the case if he does not come back soon or let someone
    else have passwords and access rights to run the site.

    UN Owen, Nov 10, 2004
  4. UN Owen

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "UN Owen" <> wrote in message
    >I was just setting the record straight, Zyber
    > All you seem to know how to do is use curse words at people in this
    > newsgroup which is uncalled for.

    Frank Sereno, eh? You're a real class act, buddy. Congratulations on not
    using foul language as you betray the confidence of someone foolish
    enough to give you more information than you were entitled to. I bet
    you're feeling quite morally superior to the world today, hypocrite.

    > And as you stated in an earlier post - only Peter Bracke had passwords
    > and access rights to the server and he did not
    > share them with his staff when he left.

    Not that this is any of your business, but the limited access was a
    condition of our corporate ownership. Peter is the only paid employee,
    and they don't want anyone else updating the site content without their
    approval.

    > It seems to me that if he wanted the site to keep running and be
    > functional in his absence,
    > he would have left passwords and access rights to someone he trusted
    > on his staff.
    >
    > This tells me that he didn't trust anyone and he wanted full control
    > of his site.

    Again, this is none of your concern, and you are dead wrong.

    > Well, now that he is gone, no disc news is being updated and very few
    > new reviews are being posted.
    >
    > I hate to see it go away, but that appears to be the case if he does
    > not come back soon or let someone
    > else have passwords and access rights to run the site.

    How do you think that posting Peter's personal and private information
    is helping anyone? You should be ashamed of yourself, if you are capable
    of feeling shame.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 10, 2004
  5. UN Owen

    Zimmy Guest

    Thanks for the update.
    I'm sure JZ will not agree but some of us long time readers of the site
    deserve a little more than, "be back in jiff" we have been fed.
    I don't really care about any of his personal problems and they may have
    remained private if he decided not to take the keys to the kingdom.
    I've lost a lot of respect for Peter. If he was unhappy or sick, he should
    have worked out a deal for someone else to have access.
    Either that, or the people that run the site are clueless. How can you have
    a revenue generating web site in the hands of one person who can just take
    his ball and go home whenever he wants.
    It is not like the site is some advanced .net application, it looks like
    simple HTML + database that anyone could take over with basic web
    programming knowledge.
    It appears that he isn't in any hurry to get back and he wasn't too
    exhausted to visit the Star Wars DVD party.
    I wish I could tell my bosses that I was exhausted, don't you?
    Anyway you slice it, it just looks bad.
    Why does it have to happen to a quality site while Big "Advertising" Picture
    is still kicking?

    Zimmy, Nov 10, 2004
  6. UN Owen

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:
    >"UN Owen" <> wrote in message
    >>I post regularly here, but since I'm heavily involved in the online DVD
    >>community I gotta hide things up here.
    >>
    >> But this is straight from one of the site's main contributors.

    >And you felt it was anyone else's business that you needed to post this
    >personal and private information here, why exactly?
    >
    >You have no compunctions about divulging personal information on others,
    >yet have to hide your own identity.
    >
    >How classy.

    Does anybody doubt that "UN Owen" is the same person as "MAD" ?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
    Stan Brown, Nov 10, 2004
  7. UN Owen

    Frank Sereno Guest

    Re: Please Read!! The Truth to where Peter Bracke went - and no booktour!!!!!!!

    Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "UN Owen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I was just setting the record straight, Zyber
    >>All you seem to know how to do is use curse words at people in this
    >>newsgroup which is uncalled for.

    > Frank Sereno, eh? You're a real class act, buddy. Congratulations on not
    > using foul language as you betray the confidence of someone foolish
    > enough to give you more information than you were entitled to. I bet
    > you're feeling quite morally superior to the world today, hypocrite.

    Seeing as how I am not the person who was posting as UN Owen, your
    diatribe is quite mistaken and improperly aimed. My only comment
    regarding Mr. Bracke was that his condition must be quite serious if he
    couldn't access the site and that I wished him well.

    I had never accessed DVDFILE.COM previous to seeing all the controversy
    about it here. I haven't emailed or phoned anyone associated with the
    site fishing for information regarding Peter Bracke. I hope you fellows
    get your problems worked out, but it isn't any skin off my nose if the
    site disappeared tomorrow either.

    Based on the paragraph you wrote above, I would have to guess that if
    you are looking for someone who feels morally superior to others that
    you need only to look in the nearest mirror. You might want to get your
    facts straight before you start making accusations at someone.

    Have a good day. And again, my best wishes to Mr. Bracke as he fights
    his illness.

    Frank Sereno, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Re: Please Read!! The Truth to where Peter Bracke went - and no booktour!!!!!!!

    Stan Brown wrote:

    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in
    > alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >>"UN Owen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I post regularly here, but since I'm heavily involved in the online DVD
    >>>community I gotta hide things up here.
    >>>
    >>>But this is straight from one of the site's main contributors.

    >>And you felt it was anyone else's business that you needed to post this
    >>personal and private information here, why exactly?
    >>
    >>You have no compunctions about divulging personal information on others,
    >>yet have to hide your own identity.
    >>
    >>How classy.

    > Does anybody doubt that "UN Owen" is the same person as "MAD" ?

    Uh, let's see--
    The only single person on the entire group who hadn't picked up on the
    "hospitalization" thing, and is still beating the already-expired "book
    tour" thing six miles into the ground as if he hadn't quite gotten the
    memo yet?...

    ....Nahhh. Gotta be different people.

    Derek Janssen (besides, he sounded so OFFICIAL, and used a different
    typestyle!)
    Derek Janssen, Nov 10, 2004
  9. >Subject: Re: Please Read!! The Truth to where Peter Bracke went - and no book
    >tour!!!!!!!
    >From: "Zimmy"

    >I'm sure JZ will not agree but some of us long time readers of the site
    >deserve a little more than, "be back in jiff" we have been fed.

    I have been sort of half paying attention to this thread. Isn,t this some free
    site everyone is bitching about? HeY things change, go find a different site.

    Is Peter sick/ill or not?

    How much longer will this useless thread go on?
    John339077353, Nov 11, 2004