please please (before I go crazy)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by eugene, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. eugene

    eugene Guest

    Here we go again! This PC is driving me up the walls! When I start up, I
    have a flickering screen for about half an hour and then it ceases. My
    system seems to freeze between commands and can take up to a minute to
    perform any action (even playing solitaire.....when I try to move a card, I
    have to hold the mouse ket for up to or more than 30 seconds before I can
    move it). I am receiving hundreds of SPAM mails every day and they take
    forever to download (for some reason, a lot of them seem to be MS patches
    and have attachments but I just delete them). If and when I have to restart
    my system, it freezes and won't shut down so I have to force shut it and
    then go through the boot up system and scan my discs for errors. This is all
    slowly driving me nuts. I have done a few scans to check for virus's and
    nothing shows. Anybody got any suggestions before I try and get a gun to
    shoot this s,o,a b of a PC?
    Thanks, Eugene

    --
    I'm a failed Christian and if I'm goin' to Hell
    There's one thing for sure, you're gonna be there as well!

    ( Henry McCullough)
    eugene, Sep 26, 2003

  2. eugene

    Harrison Guest

    Video drivers
    Virus
    Spyware
    Trojan

    It could be just about anything.
    What OS are you using?
    Do you have antivirus?
    Is it up to date?
    Does it work OK in safe mode?

    Have you run MSCONFIG to see what is loading on startup?
    Have you checked event view (if 2000 or XP)?

    Based on what little you've told me, I'd boot to safe mode and see if
    it runs better there. I'd run MSCONFIG or look at the registry for
    supsicious entries in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current
    Version/Run
    I'd then scan for viruses and spyware.

    Harrison, Sep 26, 2003

  3. eugene

    eugene Guest

    Thank you very much my man, I did msconfig and did notice a couple of start
    up items that didn't seem familiar. I stopped them from the start up,
    re-booted and.......unbelievably..........no flickering screen and the other
    probs seem to have disappeared also. I am using OE 2003? and my system is ME
    by the way. So thanks again and hopefully I won't be bothering this great
    group for a while.......(hopefully I said)
    Eugene

    eugene, Sep 26, 2003
  4. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    Start here:
    Basic computer maintenance

    Then check your system for nasties:

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Vet (Computer Associates)
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    NOD32
    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    KAV
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Norman Virus Control
    http://www.norman.com/products_nvc.shtml

    F-Prot
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/

    AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    Online Antitrojan scanner:
    ----------------------
    http://www.trojanscan.com/

    Anti-trojan programs:
    ----------------------
    Trojan Remover
    http://www.simplysup.com/

    Trojan Hunter
    http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

    Trojan Defence Suite (TDS-3)
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

    Tauscan
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

    Blaster worm
    Boot into Safe Mode and start your registry editor:
    Start / Run / regedit

    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +CurrentVersion
    +Run

    In the right-hand pane, look for any entry/ies that include
    MSBLAST.EXE, PENIS32.EXE or TEEKIDS.EXE and
    DELETE it/them.
    These are the files associated with the different variants:
    Variant A - msblast.exe
    Variant B - penis32.exe
    Variant C - teekids.exe

    You just disabled the worm from running at startup, so boot into
    normal mode again, and turn off ALL system restores to purge
    your system.

    Open Windows Explorer to the ..\Windows\System32\ or
    ...\WinNT\System32\ folder and DELETE *any* of the
    files named above.

    Next, go to the ..\Windows\Prefetch\ or ..\WinNT\Prefetch\
    and find the reference to the above file/s (any reference will
    be similar to: <filename.exe>-<alphanumerics>.PF), for example,
    msblast.exe-0235D8H6.pf, and DELETE it/them.

    Now you can download and install the patch, configure your
    firewall and update your virus scanner.

    Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    What you should know about the Blaster worm

    Windows RPC DCOM Buffer Overflow Remote Exploit (MS03-026)
    http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/07.25.winrpcdcom.c.php

    How to Use The KB 823980 Scanning Tool to Identify Host Computers
    That Do Not Have The 823980 Security Patch (MS03-026) Installed

    W32.Blaster.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.B.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.b.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.C.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.c.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

    Messenger pop-ups
    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    Anti-spyware:
    ---------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:34:37 +0100, in
    <E1Zcb.292$>
    eugene scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003
  5. eugene

    stantheman Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    > Here we go again! This PC is driving me up the walls! When I start up, I
    > have a flickering screen for about half an hour and then it ceases. My
    > system seems to freeze between commands and can take up to a minute to
    > perform any action (even playing solitaire.....when I try to move a card,

    > have to hold the mouse ket for up to or more than 30 seconds before I can
    > move it). I am receiving hundreds of SPAM mails every day and they take
    > forever to download (for some reason, a lot of them seem to be MS patches
    > and have attachments but I just delete them). If and when I have to

    restart
    > my system, it freezes and won't shut down so I have to force shut it and
    > then go through the boot up system and scan my discs for errors. This is

    all
    > slowly driving me nuts. I have done a few scans to check for virus's and
    > nothing shows. Anybody got any suggestions before I try and get a gun to
    > shoot this s,o,a b of a PC?
    > Thanks, Eugene
    >
    > --
    > I'm a failed Christian and if I'm goin' to Hell
    > There's one thing for sure, you're gonna be there as well!
    >
    > ( Henry McCullough)
    >
    > IDONT KNOW THE SPEC OF YOUR SYSTEM

    But the first thing iwould do is go to system recouces
    to see how much available memory i have if i hav e enough to take care of
    any thing i might want to run
    the next thing iwould do is have a look at vga to see if als well there, (
    it could be your hard disk try running scandisk from dos ie boot disk this
    will phisicaly show in red any bad sectors if scandisk cant repair it get
    low level format software from th manufacturers web site ( that should cure
    that ) if it doesnt ide backup what i need and reformat the drive
    stantheman, Sep 26, 2003