PLEASE: Need Good Advice on Buying Region-Free DVD/Video Combo!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Franklin Hummel, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. Please *answer* this if you can, because I really need your help so that I am not screwed
    over when I make a purchase!

    I've see messages on Usenet and heard from people I know about getting burned when they
    purchased what I want to buy: a Region-Free DVD/Video Combo.

    I do NOT want to get something which is going to be a nightmare to set-up. I can deal
    with maybe buying a few special plugs if that is what is needed to get it to work with my
    6-year old United-States NTSC television set.

    What I do NOT want to get is something that is going to need another $100+ piece of
    electronics to get it to work or something that turns out to need a multi-system TV for
    it to even show a picture.

    I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good products. But I'd
    would really welcome advice on something which would not only be a good buy -- but WORKS.

    As I said, my TV is about 6 years old. It works fine, but all it has for an impute is a
    coaxial impute plug, so I am going to be able to need the combo to work with that.

    I'm looking for something between $200-$250. I might be able to go up to $275 but that
    would be the extend of the money I have for this -- unless the combo being suggested is
    really, really easy to set0up and make work with my TV.

    If special instructions are needed to set-up, beyond what is in the manual, I want to be
    SURE they are included when I buy the unit.

    If you can give information on where I might purchase this item online, a place you KNOW
    honest and very helpful to their customers, that would be great and really helpful to me.

    I'm willing to pay perhaps more if I can get a good unit which offers quality it what it
    shows, that isn't a nightmare to set-up, and that it ABOVE ALL ELSE -- **works** with my
    TV!

    I just cannot take the stress and frustration of getting a piece of junk which won't work
    for my TV.

    Thank you!

    -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 1, 2005

  2. "Tom Alaerts" <> wrote in message
    >> I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good products. But I'd
    >> would really welcome advice on something which would not only be a good buy -- but
    >> WORKS. I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good products.
    >> But I'd would really welcome advice on something which would not only be a good buy --
    >> but WORKS.

    > I bought a Samsung DVD player because these (a) are cheap, (b) are beter sounding than
    > the cheap white brand devices, (c) can be made region-free by a simple code to be
    > entered on your remote.
    > Very important, first google the web for "the player you intend to buy" and "region
    > hack" and read the comments.
    > You can also visit http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    > I hope this helps.

    Thank you, but it doesn't.

    I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO HACKING. I don't want to take the risk I might not be able to
    do it or it won't work for me and I am then stuck with a piece of electronics that is not
    what I wanted.

    As I said, I want something that WORKS. I want a VCR/DVD combo that is region-free,
    which I can just reasonability easily hook-up to my TV set -- and that is about all I
    have to do.

    -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 1, 2005

  3. Franklin Hummel

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Franklin Hummel" <> wrote in message
    > "Tom Alaerts" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good
    >>> products. But I'd would really welcome advice on something which
    >>> would not only be a good buy -- but WORKS. I've read here and
    >>> elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good products. But I'd
    >>> would really welcome advice on something which would not only be a
    >>> good buy -- but WORKS.

    >> I bought a Samsung DVD player because these (a) are cheap, (b) are
    >> beter sounding than the cheap white brand devices, (c) can be made
    >> region-free by a simple code to be entered on your remote.
    >> Very important, first google the web for "the player you intend to
    >> buy" and "region hack" and read the comments.
    >> You can also visit http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    >> I hope this helps.

    > Thank you, but it doesn't.
    >
    > I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO HACKING. I don't want to take the risk I
    > might not be able to do it or it won't work for me and I am then
    > stuck with a piece of electronics that is not what I wanted.
    >
    > As I said, I want something that WORKS. I want a VCR/DVD combo that
    > is region-free, which I can just reasonability easily hook-up to my
    > TV set -- and that is about all I have to do.
    >
    > -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    You can pay a premium for a player that's been hacked by someone else if
    you insist. There's eBay, and places like this:
    http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/dvdvcdcombo.html
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Oct 1, 2005
  4. Franklin Hummel

    Tom Alaerts Guest

    On 2005-10-01 19:13:12 +0200, "Franklin Hummel" <> said:

    > "Tom Alaerts" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good
    >>> products. But I'd would really welcome advice on something which would
    >>> not only be a good buy -- but WORKS. I've read here and elsewhere about
    >>> such problems -- as well as good products. But I'd would really welcome
    >>> advice on something which would not only be a good buy -- but WORKS.

    >> I bought a Samsung DVD player because these (a) are cheap, (b) are
    >> beter sounding than the cheap white brand devices, (c) can be made
    >> region-free by a simple code to be entered on your remote.
    >> Very important, first google the web for "the player you intend to buy"
    >> and "region hack" and read the comments.
    >> You can also visit http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    >> I hope this helps.

    > Thank you, but it doesn't.
    >
    > I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO HACKING. I don't want to take the risk I
    > might not be able to do it or it won't work for me and I am then stuck
    > with a piece of electronics that is not what I wanted.
    >
    > As I said, I want something that WORKS. I want a VCR/DVD combo that is
    > region-free, which I can just reasonability easily hook-up to my TV set
    > -- and that is about all I have to do.
    >
    > -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    Well, not wanting to sound arrogant, I believe it does !

    I mean, when a hack is simply entering a code on a remote control, how
    much easier does it have to be?

    Tom

    Tom Alaerts, Oct 1, 2005
  5. Franklin Hummel

    kaboom Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:25:05 -0400, "Franklin Hummel"
    <> wrote:

    >Please *answer* this if you can, because I really need your help so that I am not screwed
    >over when I make a purchase!

    **Hi Franklin. Here's the problem with a combo set: You can rarely
    find a multisystem VCR that *won't* need a PAL/NTSC converter between
    it and your TV set. I've never seen a combo that will do it all
    without a converter. I've purchased a multisystem VCR and a converter
    myself, works very well. I use a Magnavox 458 for PAL DVDs, it doesn't
    need a converter. However, here's a website that sells the kind of
    stuff you're looking for:

    http://www.world-import.com/

    Dual multisystem DVD/VHS combos:

    http://www.world-import.com/302.htm

    I know that you don't want any converters but you can use the site for
    reference or whatnot. I've purchased from them (Jan 2005) with no
    problems.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Oct 1, 2005
  6. In article <dhmg36$cg4$>,
    Franklin Hummel <> wrote:

    >"Tom Alaerts" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good products. But I'd
    >>> would really welcome advice on something which would not only be a good buy -- but
    >>> WORKS. I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good products.
    >>> But I'd would really welcome advice on something which would not only be a good buy --
    >>> but WORKS.

    >> I bought a Samsung DVD player because these (a) are cheap, (b) are beter sounding than
    >> the cheap white brand devices, (c) can be made region-free by a simple code to be
    >> entered on your remote.
    >> Very important, first google the web for "the player you intend to buy" and "region
    >> hack" and read the comments.
    >> You can also visit http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    >> I hope this helps.

    >Thank you, but it doesn't.

    >I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO HACKING. I don't want to take the risk
    >I might not be able to do it or it won't work for me and I am
    >then stuck with a piece of electronics that is not what I wanted.

    There are some that I really don't consider 'hacking' which require
    nothing more than pressing a couple of keys on the remote control.
    You can't screw those up. The ones that require software
    downloads, making a CD, and then installing that in the machine are
    the ones that can cause pain if something goes wrong.

    >As I said, I want something that WORKS. I want a VCR/DVD combo
    >that is region-free, which I can just reasonability easily
    >hook-up to my TV set -- and that is about all I have to do.

    You might be far better off finding a DVD player that is easily
    made region free and using a separate VCR.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Oct 2, 2005
  7. "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message news:dhmta5$9ci$...
    > "Franklin Hummel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO HACKING. I don't want to take the risk I
    >> might not be able to do it or it won't work for me and I am then
    >> stuck with a piece of electronics that is not what I wanted.
    >> As I said, I want something that WORKS. I want a VCR/DVD combo that
    >> is region-free, which I can just reasonability easily hook-up to my
    >> TV set -- and that is about all I have to do.

    > You can pay a premium for a player that's been hacked by someone else if you insist.
    > There's eBay, and places like this:
    > http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/dvdvcdcombo.html

    I bought one on eBay and it wouldn't work with my TV. Called the dealer and he was an
    major asshole about the whole thing, claiming he had one and it worked fine. When I told
    him my problem and asked him how he got his to work (I suspect he had LOTS of extra and
    new equipment on his), he would never answer me.

    Sorry, I don't want to go through eBay again. I'm trying to figure out what to do with
    that combo now. I am thinking of selling it on eBay, with a more detailed and honest one
    that the original dealer had in his listing. I'm going to lose a fair amount of the
    money I spent doing that, even thought the thing was only "used" for about 5 hours when I
    tried to set it up and could never get it to work.

    As for the URL provided above, I don't trust them in the fucking slightest. Originally I
    was going to buy from them, I had placed an order, and when I didn't hear anything back
    after 5-6 days, I called and was told that unit was "out of stock" and they were waiting
    to see what they would be getting instead, at which time they would contact me.

    So I searched and found another website with a similar deal on the combo I was looking
    at, called them about placing an order, only to find they were "out of stock" and were
    waiting to see what they would be getting to replace it.

    I recognized the voice and it was the same person I had spoken to when I called the first
    website!

    I searched on the Internet and found they were running at least *4* different websites,
    all under different names and using different phone numbers -- but the street and city
    address were the same for all of them. And ALL of them were advertising the same special
    on the DVD/VCR combo on their front pages -- even though the one place running all these
    different websites were "out-of-stock".

    To me, the multiple websites, pretending to be different, unconnected ones (even the
    design style of each of them are different!) and each prominently advertising the same
    device on special sale when they were actually "out of stock" reminded me way too much of
    a "bait-and-switch" con. The person I spoke to was none too nice to me when I mentioned
    I had found these multiple site all pushing the same combo unit they did not have. I
    cancelled my order as quick as I could!

    No thank you, I don't trust those folks in the slightest.

    (If folks want the names of these websites, I will post them here.)

    That is why I asked originally for particular and detailed advice on what to buy when I
    started this thread. I've been taken once and almost taken a second time. I don't want
    to chance that again, if I can avoid it.

    > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    Thanks, I will look at this. I hope it is of help to me.

    -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 2, 2005
  8. "kaboom" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:25:05 -0400, "Franklin Hummel"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Please *answer* this if you can, because I really need your help so that I am not
    >>screwed
    >>over when I make a purchase!

    > **Hi Franklin. Here's the problem with a combo set: You can rarely
    > find a multisystem VCR that *won't* need a PAL/NTSC converter between
    > it and your TV set. I've never seen a combo that will do it all
    > without a converter. I've purchased a multisystem VCR and a converter
    > myself, works very well. I use a Magnavox 458 for PAL DVDs, it doesn't
    > need a converter. However, here's a website that sells the kind of
    > stuff you're looking for:
    >
    > http://www.world-import.com/
    >
    > Dual multisystem DVD/VHS combos:
    >
    > http://www.world-import.com/302.htm
    >
    > I know that you don't want any converters but you can use the site for
    > reference or whatnot. I've purchased from them (Jan 2005) with no
    > problems.

    Thanks for the info. It might come to this for me, sadly. I barely have enough for what
    the combos are priced at. I don't know what I am going to do.

    -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 2, 2005
  9. "Tom Alaerts" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-10-01 19:13:12 +0200, "Franklin Hummel" <> said:
    >> "Tom Alaerts" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I bought a Samsung DVD player because these (a) are cheap, (b) are beter sounding
    >>> than the cheap white brand devices, (c) can be made region-free by a simple code to
    >>> be entered on your remote.
    >>> Very important, first google the web for "the player you intend to buy" and "region
    >>> hack" and read the comments.
    >>> You can also visit http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    >>> I hope this helps.

    >> I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO HACKING. I don't want to take the risk I might not be able
    >> to do it or it won't work for me and I am then stuck with a piece of electronics that
    >> is not what I wanted.
    >> As I said, I want something that WORKS. I want a VCR/DVD combo that is region-free,
    >> which I can just reasonability easily hook-up to my TV set -- and that is about all I
    >> have to do.
    >>

    > Well, not wanting to sound arrogant, I believe it does !
    > I mean, when a hack is simply entering a code on a remote control, how much easier does
    > it have to be?

    Is there a DVD/VCR combo with a remote control hack? I just want the DVD Region-Free on
    it; I really don't care that much about playing PAL videos. And will it play PAL DVDs
    after the hack?

    And since I am not very trusting now, how can I be sure this hack will WORK for me?

    -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 2, 2005
  10. "Franklin Hummel" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the info. It might come to this for me, sadly. I barely have
    > enough for what the combos are priced at. I don't know what I am going to
    > do.

    Ironically some of the $40 DVD players I see in Canada imply that they will
    play any region DVD in any format on any TV including NTSC.

    Homer J Simpson, Oct 2, 2005
  11. Franklin Hummel

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Franklin Hummel () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    > Thanks, I will look at this. I hope it is of help to me.

    Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ" with
    very little real information.

    Try http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html for the actual DVD FAQ.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Oct 2, 2005
  12. Franklin Hummel

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Franklin Hummel () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    >>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    >> Thanks, I will look at this. I hope it is of help to me.

    > Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ"

    LOLOL

    FAQmeister, Oct 2, 2005
  13. "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message news:dhnkdr$cfd$...
    > "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, I will look at this. I hope it is of help to me.

    > Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ" with
    > very little real information.
    > Try http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html for the actual DVD FAQ.
    >

    > LOLOL
    > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    Uh-oh. Possible flame war starting.

    Can we try to stay on the subject of the thread, please?

    -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts
    --
    * Show Your Miskatonic University Gay Pride! *
    Buy T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Buttons & Postcards at:

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 2, 2005
  14. "Homer J Simpson" <> wrote in message

    > Ironically some of the $40 DVD players I see in Canada imply that they will play any
    > region DVD in any format on any TV including NTSC.

    I've always wanted to move and live in Canada. They often just seem a lot saner than the
    USA.
    -- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

    ---

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 2, 2005
  15. In article <r6H%e.258851$9A2.248305@edtnps89>,
    Homer J Simpson <> wrote:

    >"Franklin Hummel" <> wrote in message

    >> Thanks for the info. It might come to this for me, sadly. I
    >> barely have enough for what the combos are priced at. I don't
    >> know what I am going to do.

    >Ironically some of the $40 DVD players I see in Canada imply that
    >they will play any region DVD in any format on any TV including
    >NTSC.

    Same here in the areas below the 49th Parallel. My Philips
    has the option to output whatever format the disk is record
    with so it will work with multi-standard TV sets, or it can be set
    to be either PAL or NTSC. This setting makes a disk recorded in
    either PAL or NTSC be ouput at the setting.

    And with 4 keystrokes on the remote it plays any region.

    What I found interesting is that an older all-region player would
    come up with a warning/nagging messages when putting a region 1
    disk when it was set for all regions.

    It implied that I had modified my machine in not the most
    politically correct way IMO. The new machine plays disks with RCE
    just fine.

    Considering how things change it's too bad the original poster
    doesn't consider separate VCR and DVD combinations. They give you
    more flexibility IMO.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Oct 2, 2005
  16. Franklin Hummel

    Guest Guest

    > Please *answer* this if you can, because I really need your help so that I
    > am not screwed over when I make a purchase!
    >
    > I've see messages on Usenet and heard from people I know about getting
    > burned when they purchased what I want to buy: a Region-Free DVD/Video
    > Combo.
    >
    > I do NOT want to get something which is going to be a nightmare to set-up.
    > I can deal with maybe buying a few special plugs if that is what is needed
    > to get it to work with my 6-year old United-States NTSC television set.
    >
    > What I do NOT want to get is something that is going to need another $100+
    > piece of electronics to get it to work or something that turns out to need
    > a multi-system TV for it to even show a picture.
    >
    > I've read here and elsewhere about such problems -- as well as good
    > products. But I'd would really welcome advice on something which would
    > not only be a good buy -- but WORKS.
    >
    > As I said, my TV is about 6 years old. It works fine, but all it has for
    > an impute is a coaxial impute plug, so I am going to be able to need the
    > combo to work with that.
    >
    > I'm looking for something between $200-$250. I might be able to go up to
    > $275 but that would be the extend of the money I have for this -- unless
    > the combo being suggested is really, really easy to set0up and make work
    > with my TV.
    >
    > If special instructions are needed to set-up, beyond what is in the
    > manual, I want to be SURE they are included when I buy the unit.
    >
    > If you can give information on where I might purchase this item online, a
    > place you KNOW honest and very helpful to their customers, that would be
    > great and really helpful to me.
    >
    > I'm willing to pay perhaps more if I can get a good unit which offers
    > quality it what it shows, that isn't a nightmare to set-up, and that it
    > ABOVE ALL ELSE -- **works** with my TV!
    >
    > I just cannot take the stress and frustration of getting a piece of junk
    > which won't work for my TV.

    After reading your entire post (twice) I feel you would be making a mistake
    buying such a unit until you buy a new stereo TV set with a variety of video
    inputs.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Oct 2, 2005
  17. Franklin Hummel

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <dhok2o$ejj$>, Franklin Hummel
    <> wrote:

    > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    > > "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message

    > > Actually, that isn't the FAQ for this group, but rather a "rogue FAQ" with
    > > very little real information.
    > > Try http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html for the actual DVD FAQ.
    > >

    > > LOLOL
    > > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    > Uh-oh. Possible flame war starting.
    >
    > Can we try to stay on the subject of the thread, please?

    Look, you've been around newsgroups long enough to know better then to
    even suggest that :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 2, 2005
  18. Franklin Hummel

    jayembee Guest

    "Franklin Hummel" <> wrote:

    > Is there a DVD/VCR combo with a remote control hack? I just want
    > the DVD Region-Free on it; I really don't care that much about playing
    > PAL videos.

    So why do you need the combo? I assumed that's why you wanted it:
    to be able to play either non-R1 PAL DVDs as well as PAL videos.

    If you just want to play NTSC tapes, it'd be a hell of a lot simpler to
    get a region-free DVD player and a separate VCR.

    > And will it play PAL DVDs after the hack?

    The Philips 642 DVD player can be made region-free through a simple
    remote command. And, yes, it plays PAL DVDs after the hack. It also
    displays anamorphic PAL DVDs properly, and plays VCDs, SVCDs,
    and DivX/XviD-encoded files, as well. You can get one for $70 or
    less at Target, Wal-Mart, or similar stores (more specifically, I bought
    one of our two 642s at the Target near Wellington Circle).

    > And since I am not very trusting now, how can I be sure this hack
    > will WORK for me?

    Because it works for everyone else who's tried it?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 3, 2005
  19. "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <r6H%e.258851$9A2.248305@edtnps89>,
    > Homer J Simpson <> wrote:
    >>"Franklin Hummel" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the info. It might come to this for me, sadly. I
    >>> barely have enough for what the combos are priced at. I don't
    >>> know what I am going to do.

    >>Ironically some of the $40 DVD players I see in Canada imply that
    >>they will play any region DVD in any format on any TV including
    >>NTSC.

    > Considering how things change it's too bad the original poster
    > doesn't consider separate VCR and DVD combinations. They give you
    > more flexibility IMO.

    Oh, I'm planning on separate ones now. It seems I have no choice after endless searching
    on the net for what I wanted to have and no one does.

    I just really hate the f*ck*ng thought of all those extra cables connecting everything to
    everything and trying to fit two new devices into limited space.

    I was going to buy the Phillips DVP-642 today. It was supposedly available in 5 of the 7
    Best Buy stores around the area I live. By the time I was done trying to order it online
    for same day pick-up, it turned out not a single one had it in stock.

    I suspect they list online just about EVERYTHING Best Buy carried as being available in
    every store. It's ONLY when someone asks for it that they record they don't (and likely
    never did) have it.

    Franklin Hummel, Oct 8, 2005
  20. Franklin Hummel

    kaboom Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:53:16 -0400, "Franklin Hummel"
    <> wrote:

    >Oh, I'm planning on separate ones now. It seems I have no choice after endless searching
    >on the net for what I wanted to have and no one does.

    **It's for the best. In case one piece of equipment breaks, you only
    have to replace that single component.

    >I just really hate the f*ck*ng thought of all those extra cables connecting everything to
    >everything and trying to fit two new devices into limited space.

    **Yea, I hear that. I have enough room, barely so but my TV only has a
    co-ax cable input and one set of RCA (red yellow white) inputs. So I
    bought a switchbox with 4 hookups. I can run 4 components into one
    video line. (My audio is run into my stereo.)

    >I was going to buy the Phillips DVP-642 today. It was supposedly available in 5 of the 7
    >Best Buy stores around the area I live. By the time I was done trying to order it online
    >for same day pick-up, it turned out not a single one had it in stock.

    **I was searching for some Pioneer players and it said the Best Buy in
    my area carried them so I went there and they didn't have anything. I
    was looking for some recorders and it was the same thing, their
    in-store inventory didn't match their online inventory.

    >I suspect they list online just about EVERYTHING Best Buy carried as being available in
    >every store. It's ONLY when someone asks for it that they record they don't (and likely
    >never did) have it.

    **Bah! They've ticked me off for the last time. I got burned on a
    duplicate birthday gift for which I didn't have a receipt.

    Franklin, do you have any Target stores by you? I've seen the 642 in
    my local Target but I'm in Ann Arbor :) You can also try looking for
    the Magnavox 458. I bought mine at Circuit City for $40-45. It's
    essentially the same model, though I don't think it plays DivX or
    Xvid. I use mine only for PAL discs, you can change the region through
    the remote and I also use it for my burned discs. I'm aware that it's
    a cheapo model so I use my old tank of a DVD player to play my regular
    DVDs. I want to keep the mileage low on the cheapo.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Oct 9, 2005