Please insert disk into drive error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by summa, Mar 4, 2007.

  1. summa

    summa Guest

    I have a Windows 2000 SP4 computer, that has been relatively error free
    while I've used it. It gets AVG checked daily, never a virus. I use
    AdAware and Spybot regularly and they too come up clean.

    About a week ago, I started getting an error message at startup, right
    after the icons start to appear on the desktop.

    The bar at the top of the error message window says "PQV2iSvc.exe - No
    Disk" and the message itself says "There is no disk in the drive.
    Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4"

    PQV2iSvc.exe is PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 that I have on the computer .
    But it's been there forever. No real hardware or software changes have
    occurred in recent weeks or months (from what I know, this product is
    now part of the Norton Ghost product).

    A little troubleshooting has shown that if I put a memory card in my
    RadioShack Dazzle and click "Try Again," the message goes away, and it
    stays away as long as there is a memory card in the reader. FWIW, the
    card reader is drive G: to my system (C: is the OS and program HD; D: is
    the data HD; E: is a CD drive; F: is a DVD drive). Pull the memory card
    out of G: and the message pops up again. Not sure what exactly triggers
    it though.

    Remember, Drive Image and this card reader have coexisted on the
    computer for a long, long time, and this error just started a week ago.

    If I follow the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330137
    (suggested on several usenet posts for people getting the "please insert
    a disk" message), I see a normal mapping of drives.

    I know that I could cosmetically solve this problem simply by having a
    card in the reader at all times. Not good enough. I want the error
    message to not appear, and I want the card reader to be used as intended
    - with a card in it only when I need to read a card!

    Someone please help me diagnose this problem.

    summa, Mar 4, 2007

  2. summa

    Guest

    summa <> wrote:

    >The bar at the top of the error message window says "PQV2iSvc.exe - No
    >Disk" and the message itself says "There is no disk in the drive.
    >Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4"

    It's trying to load the program or it's on a "recently used" MRU list.

    Start | Run <type in>
    msconfig
    <enter>
    If it's under startup, run Regedit and remove the entry.

    Or run MRU blaster
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mrublaster.html

    --
    The Logical Song
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eqwli6-RRf4

    , Mar 4, 2007

  3. summa

    PeeCee Guest

    "summa" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Windows 2000 SP4 computer, that has been relatively error free
    > while I've used it. It gets AVG checked daily, never a virus. I use
    > AdAware and Spybot regularly and they too come up clean.
    >
    > About a week ago, I started getting an error message at startup, right
    > after the icons start to appear on the desktop.
    >
    > The bar at the top of the error message window says "PQV2iSvc.exe - No
    > Disk" and the message itself says "There is no disk in the drive.
    > Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4"
    >
    > PQV2iSvc.exe is PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 that I have on the computer .
    > But it's been there forever. No real hardware or software changes have
    > occurred in recent weeks or months (from what I know, this product is
    > now part of the Norton Ghost product).
    >
    > A little troubleshooting has shown that if I put a memory card in my
    > RadioShack Dazzle and click "Try Again," the message goes away, and it
    > stays away as long as there is a memory card in the reader. FWIW, the
    > card reader is drive G: to my system (C: is the OS and program HD; D: is
    > the data HD; E: is a CD drive; F: is a DVD drive). Pull the memory card
    > out of G: and the message pops up again. Not sure what exactly triggers
    > it though.
    >
    > Remember, Drive Image and this card reader have coexisted on the
    > computer for a long, long time, and this error just started a week ago.
    >
    > If I follow the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330137
    > (suggested on several usenet posts for people getting the "please insert
    > a disk" message), I see a normal mapping of drives.
    >
    > I know that I could cosmetically solve this problem simply by having a
    > card in the reader at all times. Not good enough. I want the error
    > message to not appear, and I want the card reader to be used as intended
    > - with a card in it only when I need to read a card!
    >
    > Someone please help me diagnose this problem.

    I've seen it suggested to trawl the Registry and remove all references to
    the drive letter your Memory card is assigned.
    ie search for "G:".

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 4, 2007
  4. summa

    summa Guest

    In article <>,
    summa <> wrote:

    > I have a Windows 2000 SP4 computer, that has been relatively error free
    > while I've used it. It gets AVG checked daily, never a virus. I use
    > AdAware and Spybot regularly and they too come up clean.
    >
    > About a week ago, I started getting an error message at startup, right
    > after the icons start to appear on the desktop.
    >
    > The bar at the top of the error message window says "PQV2iSvc.exe - No
    > Disk" and the message itself says "There is no disk in the drive.
    > Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4"
    >
    > PQV2iSvc.exe is PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 that I have on the computer .
    > But it's been there forever. No real hardware or software changes have
    > occurred in recent weeks or months (from what I know, this product is
    > now part of the Norton Ghost product).
    >
    > A little troubleshooting has shown that if I put a memory card in my
    > RadioShack Dazzle and click "Try Again," the message goes away, and it
    > stays away as long as there is a memory card in the reader. FWIW, the
    > card reader is drive G: to my system (C: is the OS and program HD; D: is
    > the data HD; E: is a CD drive; F: is a DVD drive). Pull the memory card
    > out of G: and the message pops up again. Not sure what exactly triggers
    > it though.
    >
    > Remember, Drive Image and this card reader have coexisted on the
    > computer for a long, long time, and this error just started a week ago.
    >
    > If I follow the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330137
    > (suggested on several usenet posts for people getting the "please insert
    > a disk" message), I see a normal mapping of drives.
    >
    > I know that I could cosmetically solve this problem simply by having a
    > card in the reader at all times. Not good enough. I want the error
    > message to not appear, and I want the card reader to be used as intended
    > - with a card in it only when I need to read a card!
    >
    > Someone please help me diagnose this problem.

    I'm not really happy with my solution - I used msconfig to stop the
    PQV2iSvc.exe from launching at startup. It was one of the "services"
    launched. Once stopped, the problem disappeared. Of course, now I
    can't run DriveImage, but that's okay because I haven't proactively used
    it for a couple years anyway.

    I'm still not satisfied why this problem suddenly occurred.

    PeeCee suggested finding instances of G: in the registry and trimming
    these out. That leaves me a bit uncomfortable. First, there are
    probably hundreds of instances, and second, I can't imagine removing
    ONLY the one(s) that might be causing this.

    Again, any ideas of why this problem crept up, I'd welcome.

    summa, Mar 4, 2007
  5. summa

    Thip Guest

    "summa" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > summa <> wrote:
    >
    > I'm not really happy with my solution - I used msconfig to stop the
    > PQV2iSvc.exe from launching at startup. It was one of the "services"
    > launched. Once stopped, the problem disappeared. Of course, now I
    > can't run DriveImage, but that's okay because I haven't proactively used
    > it for a couple years anyway.
    >
    > I'm still not satisfied why this problem suddenly occurred.
    >
    > PeeCee suggested finding instances of G: in the registry and trimming
    > these out. That leaves me a bit uncomfortable. First, there are
    > probably hundreds of instances, and second, I can't imagine removing
    > ONLY the one(s) that might be causing this.
    >
    > Again, any ideas of why this problem crept up, I'd welcome.

    Out of curiosity, did you try Pennywise's suggestion?

    Thip, Mar 4, 2007
  6. summa

    summa Guest

    In article <>,
    "Thip" <> wrote:

    > Out of curiosity, did you try Pennywise's suggestion?

    This was the suggestion:

    :: >The bar at the top of the error message window says "PQV2iSvc.exe -
    :: No
    :: >Disk" and the message itself says "There is no disk in the drive.
    :: >Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4"
    ::
    :: It's trying to load the program or it's on a "recently used" MRU list.
    ::
    :: Start | Run <type in>
    :: msconfig
    :: <enter>
    :: If it's under startup, run Regedit and remove the entry.
    ::
    :: Or run MRU blaster
    :: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mrublaster.html

    The first part was kind of what I did. I used msconfig (not a part of
    Win2k actually, but I have a copy on that computer anyway) to stop
    PQV2iSvc.exe from launching at startup (it was part of the processes
    that started at startup). And that fixed the problem. Except
    PQV2iSvc.exe was ALWAYS running on this computer, with the same card
    reader attached and active, and I never got the error until last week.
    So I've disabled something that, though I'd never used it, had been a
    "good citizen" on my PC. Something else must have caused the problem,
    and my goal is to find out what the "something else" was.

    MRU blaster looks like an interesting tool, although I don't really see
    what it would do for me here.

    summa, Mar 4, 2007
  7. summa

    Guest

    summa <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Thip" <> wrote:
    >

    >> Out of curiosity, did you try Pennywise's suggestion?

    >This was the suggestion:
    >
    >:: >The bar at the top of the error message window says "PQV2iSvc.exe -
    >:: No
    >:: >Disk" and the message itself says "There is no disk in the drive.
    >:: >Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4"
    >::
    >:: It's trying to load the program or it's on a "recently used" MRU list.
    >::
    >:: Start | Run <type in>
    >:: msconfig
    >:: <enter>
    >:: If it's under startup, run Regedit and remove the entry.
    >::
    >:: Or run MRU blaster
    >:: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mrublaster.html
    >
    >The first part was kind of what I did. I used msconfig (not a part of
    >Win2k actually, but I have a copy on that computer anyway) to stop
    >PQV2iSvc.exe from launching at startup (it was part of the processes
    >that started at startup). And that fixed the problem. Except
    >PQV2iSvc.exe was ALWAYS running on this computer, with the same card
    >reader attached and active, and I never got the error until last week.
    >So I've disabled something that, though I'd never used it, had been a
    >"good citizen" on my PC. Something else must have caused the problem,
    >and my goal is to find out what the "something else" was.

    >MRU blaster looks like an interesting tool, although I don't really see
    >what it would do for me here.

    After I posted I noticed the Svc in the file name. Rather than remove
    the entry with MSconfig

    Start | Run <type in>
    services.msc
    <enter>

    Disable the file that way,
    You can then enable it as a service when needed.

    The fact that the error stopped is it's expecting to find the file
    from an outside source, Then that it's a service - it's hard wired in.
    MRU blaster won't work in this case

    Run REGEDIT and search for PQV2iSvc use the MRU's to your advantage
    and see what programs have accessed it last. specially the one with
    the \Device\Harddisk2\DR4 path :)
    --
    Guns N' Roses - Bohemian Rhapsody with Elton John and Queen
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9o8f34Mfm-Q

    , Mar 5, 2007