Please inform me about Newsgroups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joanne M. Milne, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. I have been reading a lot of the posts in this newsgroup and I am happy to have found it. Lots of great info and smart comp ppl. Is there a specific "netiquette" I should know about? What other Newsgroups are there? Is a newsgroup the same as a message board? Any info about newsgroups would be appreciated. Thanks for "listening!" Lol.! Joanne

    ---

    Joanne M. Milne, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Joanne M. Milne

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Post in plain text and not html. About 100,000 NGs. Setup OE by asking your ISP about NGs.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Joanne M. Milne

    Ionizer Guest

    "Joanne M. Milne" <> wrote in message
    I have been reading a lot of the posts in this newsgroup and I am happy to
    have found it. Lots of great info and smart comp ppl. Is there a specific
    "netiquette" I should know about? What other Newsgroups are there? Is a
    newsgroup the same as a message board? Any info about newsgroups would be
    appreciated. Thanks for "listening!" Lol.! Joanne

    Hi Joanne, and welcome.

    As Ron mentioned, it's good netiqette to post to text based newsgroups
    such as this one in "plain text." You are using Outlook Express, so click
    on Tools|Options, then on the "Send" tab. At the bottom where it says
    "News Sending Format," click on "Plain text."

    To see all the other available newsgroups, and there are a LOT of them
    (many useless or empty however) click on the news.sympatico folder an then
    on the "Newsgroups..." tab. Scroll through them or type a keyword of
    interest (ie: "movies") to see if a related group(s) exists.

    Also, before posting to the newsgroups even one more time, do yourself a
    BIG favour and "munge" your email address or you will soon begin receiving
    a TON of spam: http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Joanne M. Milne

    Lyndon F Guest

    "Joanne M. Milne" <> stated:

    > I have been reading a lot of the posts in this newsgroup and I
    > am happy to have found it. Lots of great info and smart comp
    > ppl. Is there a specific "netiquette" I should know about? What
    > other Newsgroups are there? Is a newsgroup the same as a message
    > board? Any info about newsgroups would be appreciated. Thanks
    > for "listening!" Lol.! Joanne

    (cut HTML and sig)

    Welcome to usenet.

    http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html

    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?P42612449

    Lyndon F, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Joanne M. Milne

    Lyndon F Guest

    "Ron Reaugh" <> stated:

    > Post in plain text and not html. About 100,000 NGs. Setup OE
    > by asking your ISP about NGs.

    (cut HTML)

    Lyndon F, Sep 11, 2004
  6. Joanne M. Milne

    Willy Skass Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:39:49 GMT, Lyndon F
    <> wrote:

    >"Ron Reaugh" <> stated:
    >
    >> Post in plain text and not html. About 100,000 NGs. Setup OE
    >> by asking your ISP about NGs.

    At this moment, I have on my news-server (Athena News), 160,735 NGs.
    There are more added every so often. I would venture to say that 60
    to 70% of them are empty/useless.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of information!

    Willy Skass, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Joanne M. Milne

    Mikish Guest

    Willy Skass <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:39:49 GMT, Lyndon F
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Ron Reaugh" <> stated:
    > >
    > >> Post in plain text and not html. About 100,000 NGs. Setup OE
    > >> by asking your ISP about NGs.

    > At this moment, I have on my news-server (Athena News), 160,735 NGs.
    > There are more added every so often. I would venture to say that 60
    > to 70% of them are empty/useless.
    >
    > Welcome to the wonderful world of information!

    Boy Willy, there is something vaguely familiar about you...

    You see, I have one of those minds that files away little useless tidbits of
    information only to recall them when something clangs the little bell.
    Your post did just that.

    Very interesting!

    Mikish, Sep 11, 2004
  8. Joanne M. Milne

    trudogg Guest

    Mikish <> wrote:

    >Very interesting!

    ....indeed! Riveting...!

    --
    ....just do it.

    trudogg, Sep 11, 2004
  9. Joanne M. Milne

    Mikish Guest

    trudogg <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > Mikish <> wrote:
    >
    > >Very interesting!

    > ...indeed! Riveting...!

    Okay...
    It's kind of boring without more detail, but I wasn't going to draw out a
    roadmap pointing to the obvious, best if the rocket scientists map it out
    themselves; being the super sleuth types that they are.

    There's something terribly familiar about you too dogg, but it's just not the
    same.... :(

    Mikish, Sep 11, 2004
  10. Joanne M. Milne

    PK Guest

    Mikish <> wrote:

    > trudogg <> impressed us all with the following remark:
    >
    > > Mikish <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Very interesting!

    > > ...indeed! Riveting...!

    > Okay...
    > It's kind of boring without more detail, but I wasn't going to draw out a
    > roadmap pointing to the obvious, best if the rocket scientists map it out
    > themselves; being the super sleuth types that they are.
    >
    > There's something terribly familiar about you too dogg, but it's just not the
    > same.... :(

    me too.
    --

    PK

    In the real usenet

    PK, Sep 11, 2004
  11. Joanne M. Milne

    Mikish Guest

    PK <none@this time> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > Mikish <> wrote:
    >
    > > trudogg <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > > > ...indeed! Riveting...!

    > > Okay...
    > > It's kind of boring without more detail, but I wasn't going to draw out a
    > > roadmap pointing to the obvious, best if the rocket scientists map it out
    > > themselves; being the super sleuth types that they are.
    > >
    > > There's something terribly familiar about you too dogg, but it's just not the
    > > same.... :(
    > >

    > me too.

    Nothing about you is terrible...
    and I would like to get familiar!

    <pinch>

    Mikish, Sep 12, 2004
  12. Joanne M. Milne

    Willy Skass Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:20:59 -0700, Mikish <> wrote:

    >Willy Skass <> impressed us all with the following remark:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:39:49 GMT, Lyndon F
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Ron Reaugh" <> stated:

    >> At this moment, I have on my news-server (Athena News), 160,735 NGs.
    >> There are more added every so often. I would venture to say that 60
    >> to 70% of them are empty/useless.
    >>
    >> Welcome to the wonderful world of information!

    >Boy Willy, there is something vaguely familiar about you...
    >
    >You see, I have one of those minds that files away little useless tidbits of
    >information only to recall them when something clangs the little bell.
    >Your post did just that.
    >
    >Very interesting!

    Well, I've been called many things, but never a useless tidbit. Got
    to put that one on the wall!!

    Ciao!

    BTW: If it's what I'm thinking, you're on the right track.

    Willy Skass, Sep 12, 2004
  13. Joanne M. Milne

    Mikish Guest

    Willy Skass <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > BTW: If it's what I'm thinking [...]

    ;p

    Mikish, Sep 12, 2004
  14. Joanne M. Milne

    trudogg Guest

    Mikish <> wrote:

    >> ...indeed! Riveting...!

    >Okay...
    >It's kind of boring without more detail, but I wasn't going to draw out a
    >roadmap pointing to the obvious, best if the rocket scientists map it out
    >themselves; being the super sleuth types that they are.
    >
    >There's something terribly familiar about you too dogg, but it's just not the
    >same.... :(

    ....rubb my belly and it will become moreso.

    --
    ....just do it.

    trudogg, Sep 12, 2004
  15. Joanne M. Milne

    trudogg Guest

    PK <none@this time> wrote:

    >> There's something terribly familiar about you too dogg, but it's just not the
    >> same.... :(
    >>

    >me too.

    ....can I rub your belly?

    --
    ....just do it.

    trudogg, Sep 12, 2004
  16. Joanne M. Milne

    Mikish Guest

    trudogg <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > Mikish <> wrote:
    >
    > >> ...indeed! Riveting...!

    > >Okay...
    > >It's kind of boring without more detail, but I wasn't going to draw out a
    > >roadmap pointing to the obvious, best if the rocket scientists map it out
    > >themselves; being the super sleuth types that they are.
    > >
    > >There's something terribly familiar about you too dogg, but it's just not the
    > >same.... :(

    > ...rubb my belly and it will become moreso.

    OMG! That thing's enormous!
    What's that funny growth?

    Mikish, Sep 12, 2004
  17. Joanne M. Milne

    PK Guest

    Mikish <> wrote:

    > trudogg <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > > >Okay...
    > > >It's kind of boring without more detail, but I wasn't going to draw out a
    > > >roadmap pointing to the obvious, best if the rocket scientists map it out
    > > >themselves; being the super sleuth types that they are.
    > > >
    > > >There's something terribly familiar about you too dogg, but it's just not the
    > > >same.... :(

    > > ...rubb my belly and it will become moreso.

    > OMG! That thing's enormous!
    > What's that funny growth?

    Girls like the tickler...

    --

    PK

    In the real usenet

    PK, Sep 12, 2004
  18. Joanne M. Milne

    Mikish Guest

    PK <none@this time> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > Mikish <> wrote:
    >
    > > trudogg <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > > > ...rubb my belly and it will become moreso.

    > > OMG! That thing's enormous!
    > > What's that funny growth?

    > Girls like the tickler...

    I've just never seen anyone with a zucchini
    growing from their belly button before.
    Kinda tickled me too!

    Mikish, Sep 13, 2004