Please help....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by charlotte1234, Sep 23, 2008.

  1. charlotte1234

    charlotte1234

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I bought a 2nd hand computer...it is an acer travelmate 2491LCi. It has windowsxp and a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter.

    It connects to the internet, and says now connected, strength excellent etc....and then I get that offline, not connected page.

    I took it back to the shop and they reluctantly reinstalled it, so now the broadcom is much more prominent (but there was still a PCI device (?) incorrectly installed)

    Now it connects to some networks (the expensive ones!) but will not even acknowledge some others....when it is right nest to the access point (or whatever it's called)and surrounded by other computers all getting it.

    Usually, it tries to connect , then the wirelss network windows Icon will say connected, strngth excellent, the Broadcom will say strength low OR good but then the status will say limited or unavailable and i remain offline.

    It is incredibly frustrating and I suspect the guys at the shop know as little as I do about it (I know this is evident from the way I've described it! But did my best)

    Please can anyone give me a clue? Have spent hours troubleshooting...

    Thanks in advance...

    Charlotte
    charlotte1234, Sep 23, 2008