    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Geo.
    KG, Sep 28, 2006

  2. KG

    David Hettel Guest

    Step one would checking how your router is configured, look for SSID
    Broadcast, is it enabled? You'll find this on the routers web page,
    generally under the wireless tab.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Hi
    You have to plug the Router's WAN (Internet port) to the Modem. If your
    cable Internet service needs authentication read this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html It is advisable to have a wired computer
    connected to the LAN side of the Router for the initial setting of the
    Router. These pages might help with the settings of the Wireless. My New
    Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html Wireless, Basic
    Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html Wireless
    Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 29, 2006
  4. For file sharing and network printing I use 1 of these two options:

    Option 1:
    You could set up a home network after you get your wireless working. Look
    here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx
    at the part about setting up your computer for home networking. After that
    you can then go into your Printers and Faxes and use Add a Printer and choose
    network printer. Network Printer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx.

    Option 2:
    For file sharing you can use an FTP server on one computer -
    http://www.guildftpd.com/ - and an FTP client on your other computer
    -http://www.smartftp.com/. Then for using your printer you can get and
    install http://www.printeranywhere.com/ on each computer and set it up.

    -Dan
    =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlTW9v?=, Sep 29, 2006
  5. KG

    KG Guest

    Thanks everyone.
    I just checked and SSID was disabled!
    I can get the internet through the client PC now but with absolutely no
    security (so I currently disabled it).
    I'm guess I'm confused about what my settings should be on the client
    PC and where I should change them. For example, if I set my host to
    WPA2, do I also need to set this somewhere on the client PC? same goes
    for MAC settings , file and print sharing, etc.
    Hoping someone can help, thanks in advance.
    Geo

    KG, Sep 29, 2006
  6. KG

    Lem Guest

    KG wrote:
    > Thanks everyone.
    > I just checked and SSID was disabled!
    > I can get the internet through the client PC now but with absolutely no
    > security (so I currently disabled it).
    > I'm guess I'm confused about what my settings should be on the client
    > PC and where I should change them. For example, if I set my host to
    > WPA2, do I also need to set this somewhere on the client PC? same goes
    > for MAC settings , file and print sharing, etc.
    > Hoping someone can help, thanks in advance.
    > Geo
    >

    > David Hettel wrote:
    >
    >>Step one would checking how your router is configured, look for SSID
    >>Broadcast, is it enabled? You'll find this on the routers web page,
    >>generally under the wireless tab.
    >>
    >>--
    >>David Hettel
    >>
    >>Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
    >>for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
    >>addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
    >>
    >>Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >>DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
    >>confers no rights
    >>
    >>"KG" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I'm hoping someone can help me set up this supposedly simple wireless
    >>>network.
    >>>Problem: Notebook not picking up wireless signal.
    >>>I have a high speed cable connection with wireless router (Linksys
    >>>WRT54G) and a notebook in another room. I know the note book has a
    >>>wireless receiver because it has picked up internet in hotel rooms. I
    >>>need to know how to set each of these systems up in order to get web
    >>>access on my notebook from anywhere in my apartment. As of now I can
    >>>see plenty of wireless signals being picked up by the notebook but not
    >>>mine. Both PC's are running with WINXP.
    >>>Also (if I ever get this set up):
    >>>Can I print from my notebook to the printer that is connected to the
    >>>host PC, share files, etc?
    >>>Do I need a firewall on both PC's?
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>Thanks in advance,
    >>>Geo.

    Part of your difficulty is that you have the terminology confused. You
    don't have a "host" or a "client." You have a network that is
    controlled by your router. With the WRT54G, you can have up to 4
    networked computers connected via Ethernet cable and a large [I don't
    recall the max] number of computers connected wirelessly.

    Each of the networked computers can access the Internet via the router's
    connection to your cable modem.

    Each of the networked computers also can also share resources with any
    of the other networked computers, provided that the network is
    configured to let them do so. In this context "resources" includes both
    files that are present on a computer's hard drive and a printer that is
    physically connected to a computer.

    For wireless security, you set the encryption level and passphrase in
    the router. When you attempt to connect to the wireless network,
    whether using your "host" or "client" pc, WinXP SP2, together with the
    driver of your wireless adapter, will detect that it is an encrypted
    connection and ask you for the passphrase. All you have to do is enter
    the correct passphrase. The main issue here is that all computers on
    the wireless network must use the same level of encryption. That is, if
    you set the router to use WPA2 (a good idea), you must make sure that
    the wireless adapters in each of the computers will support WPA2. You
    may have to download new drivers, and if your hardware is old, it may
    not be able to support this at all.

    Similarly, MAC address filtering is set in the router. Each of the
    network interfaces (wired or wireless) in your computers has a MAC
    address. It's built in to the hardware. Your router can detect the MAC
    address of any computer that attempts to connect to it (wired or
    wireless) and can be configured to allow only specified MACs. See your
    router manual for further detail.

    As to your firewall question, the general consensus is that you should
    have a firewall on each computer. However, you already have a hardware
    firewall between your network and the Internet (your WRT54G, unless it's
    a mod 1 and hasn't had its firmware updated) and a software firewall
    (incoming only) on each Win XP sp2 computer (unless you disabled Windows
    Firewall).

    Some folks insist that a firewall must also check for outgoing badness
    (i.e., to detect if you have managed to get infected with malware that
    "phones home"). Windoes Firewall doesn't do this. If you install a
    different software firewall on your computers, you will have to disable
    the Windows Firewall and configure your other firewall to allow file and
    printer sharing as desired. See below.

    Here is a concise description of how to set up your network,
    cut'n'pasted from MVP Malke:

    It doesn't matter that some computers connect wirelessly and some
    connect wired. You just need to set up your local area network (lan)
    and sharing. You didn't provide any information about what operating
    systems you are running, but here are some general instructions (and
    links) for XP SP2:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Additional useful links:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)