    in the drawer!!!!!!

    thanks

    Diane

    Diane Lee, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Diane Lee

    °Mike° Guest

    Scan your system for any infection/malware, perform
    some basic system maintenance, and streamline your
    startups.

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.es/activescan/activescan-com.asp
    http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Vet (Computer Associates)
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    Gladiator
    http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

    F-Prot
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/

    AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    Anti-spyware:
    -------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    Anti-trojan:
    ------------
    Trojan Defence Suite
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

    Trojan Hunter
    http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

    Trojan Remover
    http://www.simplysup.com/

    Tauscan
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

    Basic system maintenance:

    · Close I.E. and empty your temporary internet files from
    Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check the
    box to include offline content.

    · Clean up unnecessary files from your hard drive. HDValet
    performs this well, and is highly configurable.

    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/n/105/hdvalet.zip

    · Make sure that you do not have too many files and folders in
    'My Documents'. Create new folders *outside* of 'My Documents'
    and move stuff to the new folders.

    · Clean up your registry (you MUST read the FAQs):
    Jv16 Power Tools
    http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
    EasyCleaner
    http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm

    · Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
    http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

    · Reboot and immediately empty your Windows\Temp folder.

    · Empty your recycle bin.

    · Keep your system well maintained.

    Disable the Windows 98 fast shutdown:

    How to disable Fast Shutdown in Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;187607

    If all else fails, re-install Windows into another folder:

    How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;193902

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:08:25 +0100, in
    <%aIJa.10077$>
    Diane Lee scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Diane Lee

    Prof Guest

    You didn't say what operating system you have but if you have XP or Win ME,
    try restoring system to an earlier time before all of the trouble started.

    Prof, Jun 24, 2003