Please Help: WLAN working but only intermittent Internet access

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I and a couple of other novices have been having the identical problem but
    have only succeeded in talking to each other which has not helped. Could
    wireless expert please help us? We are getting nowhere. I'll describe my
    situation (which as far as I can tell is identical to that of the 2 others):

    I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
    connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently I've had
    an annoying problem on one of the three PCs:

    The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other computers
    with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2 laptop, I
    intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet. The wireless
    network has no problems from this laptop, but sometimes, after I have
    successfully connected to the internet (via the network), it no longer can
    find servers on the internet even though the "Wireless Network Connection"
    icon shows it to be connected. I can sometimes re-establish internet access
    by "viewing available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network
    (even though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
    leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.

    Ipconfig on the problem PC gives me:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\"user">ipconfig /all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [it is the correct one]
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-4B-0A-52
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:27:13
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:27:13
    PM

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is very annoying to repeatedly
    lose my internet connection and I do not know where else to look.

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 1, 2006

  2. When you set up your wireless router, have you changed the
    SSID set on the factory to something unique?

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I set it to a unique name. This is a system that has been working fine for
    some time. Then recently, went crazy after I changed something (do n ot
    recall what).

    The SSID is correct on all the PCs.

    The IP is obtained from the router. I have considered changing that so each
    PV has its own preset IP (not that I know how) but have been afraid mess
    things up even further.

    Thanks for replying.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Re: Success: WLAN working but only intermittent Internet access

    For those other who have said they had a similar problem, I have now
    resolved it. I called Linksys tech support and it was diagnosed as a
    probable driver conflict. Here are the steps he took (not sure of the
    order: 4 and 5 may be reversed):

    1. downloaded the latest drivers (they were the same as those I had).
    2. uninstalled the adapter
    3. removed the adapter
    4. installed the new drivers
    5. went to Administrative tools / Services and stopped the wireless zero
    configuration service and restarted it.
    6. View available networks disconnected and reconnected and I stayed
    connected!!

    Hope this is hedlpful to others.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Jeff

    Bill Rankin Guest

    Re: Success: WLAN working but only intermittent Internet access

    Jeff,

    I had the same problem as you and based on your fix, I checked LinkSys and
    there was a firmware upgrade for my router. That appeared to fix the
    problem with the one computer that was having problems. The computers that
    were working OK had LinkSys adapters and the one with problems had an Intel
    adapter. I also found new drivers for the Intel adapter and installed
    these.

    Bill-R

    Bill Rankin, Jan 30, 2006