Please help with wireless settings

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sue Swaze, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze Guest

    Hi everyone

    I'm just trying to set up a wireless network at home so my son can
    connect to the Internet through my computer (dial up) and can print on
    my printer. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to work
    all afternoon.

    I have two Microsoft wireless adapters and they are talking to each
    other with good signal strength. They have different computer names
    but the same SSID and workgroup, and security is switched off for now.

    My son's computer can connect to the Internet through my PC but I
    cannot get them to share files and printers at all. I think I
    followed the instructions OK and enabled file and printer sharing on
    both computers but they cannot seem to see anything in the workgroup
    other than themselves. (I have set up a few shared folders on each of
    them).

    Both PCs are running XP Home SP1 (waiting for SP2 to arrive) and I
    have configured them using the Network Setup Wizard so they have
    static IP number of 192.168.0.1 for my PC and 192.168.0.20 for my
    son's.

    Any ideas about what I have missed here? The connections must be
    working as they can share the Internet connection, but I'm at a loss
    on why the shared folders and printers don't work.

    Many thanks for any help and tips.

    Best wishes

    Sue
    Sue Swaze, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Sue Swaze

    Pavel A. Guest

    Can you ping your computer from your son's?
    If no: resolve this.
    If yes: on your son's computer, type:
    net view \\192.168.0.1
    Post what you see.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 12, 2004

  3. Have you opened Explorer right click on the drive you want to share, click
    the 'sharing' tab and enabled sharing. You need to do this for each drive
    on each computer to share.

    Edward W. Thompson, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze Guest

    Hi Pavel, thanks for your help.

    I tried pinging both ways but the requests are just timing out. Any idea why?

    Thanks again,

    Sue
    Sue Swaze, Sep 12, 2004
  5. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze Guest

    Thanks for replying.

    The drives are shared out. I think the problem is that the PCs are
    not talking to each other properly as they can't ping each other.
    Problem is, I don't know why!

    Any further help much appreciated.

    Sue
    Sue Swaze, Sep 12, 2004
  6. Sue Swaze

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Since your son can use the Internet through your computers it seems that on
    a basic level the computers can talk via the Wireless.

    I would temporarily Switch off ICS and forget about Internet.

    Make first a solid Network, once you achieve solid Network, Switch ICS On
    again.

    Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
    Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Sep 12, 2004
  7. Sue Swaze

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Sue Swaze" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I tried pinging both ways but the requests are just timing out. Any idea why?

    Ok so there is some basic prob either with tcp/ip settings (that seem correct)
    or the wireless is not really working.
    It's not quite clear from your 1st post what is your config - are two WLAN cards working in ad-hoc mode?
    Have you run the "Home network wizard" or just set manually the fixed IP om both adapters?
    Until you get succesfful ping, nothing else will work.

    --PA
    Pavel A., Sep 12, 2004
  8. Hello, I think I know what you need to do to see files on you other computer.
    First open 'My Computer', then click on 'tools', then click on 'Map Network
    drive'. Pick a drive letter in the window that pops up, and the click on the
    browse button to find the folders or drive on the other computer that you
    want files from.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBBbGxlZ3Jh?=, Sep 13, 2004
  9. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze Guest

    Thanks Jack

    I had a quick look at the web page and there seems to be lots to try
    there. I will post back hopefully when I have sorted it out or
    failing that if I still have problems.

    I have a couple of quick queries if you could spare a moment to
    respond.

    On the page it suggests either resetting the TCP/IP stack or
    forgetting this and using NETBEUI.

    1. To reset the TCP/IP stack, is it as simple as running "netsh int ip
    reset resetlog.txt" on both the PCs? If so, sounds like that might be
    worth trying first to see whether it helps.

    2. It looks like the NETBEUI idea is pretty simple and stands a good
    chance of working - are there any disadvantages to this? The "home
    network" is never going to grow to more than 3-4 PCs, so size should
    be OK. Will NETBEUI work with WinXP SP2 when I install it?

    Thanks again for your help on this. I really appreciate the time you
    have taken to post a response and hope that it will all be sorted
    later today when I get the time to try the fixes.

    Best wishes

    Sue

    ---

    Sue Swaze, Sep 13, 2004
  10. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze Guest

    Hi Jack

    Many thanks for taking the time to post a response. I haven't had
    time to do the suggested fixes from the web page yet but hopefully
    they will sort out my headaches!

    A couple of quick queries on the suggested fixes.

    Firstly, is resetting the TCP/IP stack as simple as running the "netsh
    int ip reset resetlog.txt" command on both PCs? Can this do any harm
    (eg stop the shared Internet connection working)?

    Secondly, the NETBEUI idea looks good. Are there any disadvantages to
    this? It looks to be well suited to my "home network" of a couple of
    PCs, perhaps 1 or 2 more in the future. Is it compatible with WinXP
    SP2 if and when I install that?

    Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the time you have
    taken to try to help me out, and hope one or other of these fixes will
    do the trick. I'll post back either way.

    Sue Swaze, Sep 13, 2004
  11. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze, Sep 13, 2004
  12. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze Guest

    Hi Tony

    Thanks for taking the time to post a response. I've tried that but
    can't see anything on the other computer.

    I'm going to try the tips suggested by Jack first and see if that
    helps things.

    Thanks again.

    Sue

    Sue Swaze, Sep 13, 2004
  13. Sue Swaze

    OVS Guest

    On 11 Sep 2004 16:56:58 -0700, Sue Swaze wrote:

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I'm just trying to set up a wireless network at home so my son can
    > connect to the Internet through my computer (dial up) and can print on
    > my printer. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to work
    > all afternoon.
    >
    > I have two Microsoft wireless adapters and they are talking to each
    > other with good signal strength. They have different computer names
    > but the same SSID and workgroup, and security is switched off for now.
    >
    > My son's computer can connect to the Internet through my PC but I
    > cannot get them to share files and printers at all. I think I
    > followed the instructions OK and enabled file and printer sharing on
    > both computers but they cannot seem to see anything in the workgroup
    > other than themselves. (I have set up a few shared folders on each of
    > them).
    >
    > Both PCs are running XP Home SP1 (waiting for SP2 to arrive) and I
    > have configured them using the Network Setup Wizard so they have
    > static IP number of 192.168.0.1 for my PC and 192.168.0.20 for my
    > son's.
    >
    > Any ideas about what I have missed here? The connections must be
    > working as they can share the Internet connection, but I'm at a loss
    > on why the shared folders and printers don't work.
    >
    > Many thanks for any help and tips.
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > Sue

    Sue,
    I have exactly the same problem. The PCs share internet connect, but I
    can't share folders (PCs can't ping each other). I've spent weeks trying to
    sort this problem out, but no luck so far. I've been pulling my hair out in
    frustration.

    Hope you have more luck and skill than I did.

    Good luck.
    OVS, Sep 13, 2004
  14. Sue Swaze

    Sue Swaze Guest

    (Apologies for multiple posts - it didn't look like it sent the first time!)

    Sue
    Sue Swaze, Sep 13, 2004