Please help with wedding photo restoration

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jake, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. Jake

    Jake Guest

    A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
    portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
    sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
    entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
    taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
    is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
    tie. The woman's dress is off-white.

    What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
    factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
    would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
    *as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
    into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
    would love to have a corrected color image.

    Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

    Thank you.

    jakesnake

    Jake, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Jake

    paul Guest

    In PS try the eyedropper in the curves tool if there is a white or grey
    object it might be just that simple to correct the colors. Otherwise
    tinker around with the separate RGB channel curves or try the eyedropper
    first to get close then tinker.

    paul, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Jake

    Ryadia Guest

    "Jake" <> wrote in message
    > A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
    > portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
    > sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years

    the
    > entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital

    pic
    > taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
    > is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue

    striped
    > tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
    >
    > What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
    > factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
    > would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
    > *as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
    > into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but

    they
    > would love to have a corrected color image.
    >
    > Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > jakesnake

    What you want is called "Digital ROC" from Kodak's affiliate Applied Science
    fiction.
    http://www.asf.com/ You might be surprised how good it actually is.
    Doug

    Ryadia, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Jake

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Jake <> wrote:
    >A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
    >portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
    >sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
    >entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
    >taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
    >is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
    >tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
    >
    >What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
    >factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
    >would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
    >*as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
    >into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
    >would love to have a corrected color image.

    There are three dyes used in color photos - I think they're cyan, magenta
    and yellow and not RBY. It's fairly common for the cyan to be the least
    stable. I'd scan the photo, convert to CMY, and then crank up the cyan
    channel to see if that helps any. Try the same with the yellow channel.
    If there's enough left of the C&Y dyes then you should be able to fake
    something that looks passable.

    Best option would be to find the original photographer and see if the
    negatives still exist.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Aged color prints frequently suffer from both a reduction in saturation
    and a shift in color. You need to work with both these problems to
    correct things. Go to correction by hue, saturation, and brightness,
    and work on hue first, saturation second. You may not need to worry
    about brightness, or you may need to slightly darken it.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Jake

    Marvin Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
    > portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
    > sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
    > entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
    > taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
    > is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
    > tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
    >
    > What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
    > factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
    > would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
    > *as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
    > into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
    > would love to have a corrected color image.
    >
    > Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > jakesnake

    Paint Shop Pro has a function to correct fading in photos. It does a remarkable good job, as long as there is still some
    color in the photo. You can try it outr free. Download the fuull-function demo from www.jasc.com.

    The other alternative is to paint the photo by hand. I have an old family photo, ca. 1933, that was hand-painted at the
    time, apparently with watercolors. It had faded, but PSP brought the colors back nicely. I recdntly noticed that our photo
    of a daughter's wedding 20 years ago had faded noticably. I scanned, restored the colors with PSP's automatic function, and
    have a like-new print now. The new print might even stand up better than the photographic print.

    Marvin, Jan 30, 2005