    the version?

    thank you,

    jm
    JM, Sep 2, 2006

  2. In article <1c4Kg.76112$>,
    JM <> wrote:
    >I know asking for passwords is a common theme, and I've tried to get the
    >answer from the internet and on Cisco's website, but the problem is we have
    >no information to start with. We don't know the PIX software version or
    >anything.

    >Our internet provider installed this PIX 501 several years ago. Now they
    >are under new ownership, and they evidently cannot provide the passwords.
    >We would like to use it, however. But what can we do, since we do not know
    >the version?

    If I recall correctly, if you watch the console port (9600 8N1) during
    bootup, the PIX software version number will be mentioned.

    If you had to guess at a version, guess 6.2. The PIX 501 did not
    exist until 6.1(1), but 6.1 was not really a long lasting release
    and due to security problems and improved functionality, most sites
    would have gone to 6.2. If they haven't been actively maintaining the
    PIX, they might not have upgraded to PIX 6.3 -- which has also been
    out for a few years now. I'm estimating that "several years" likely
    places it at 6.2, with 6.3 as a possible.
    Walter Roberson, Sep 2, 2006

  3. You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Password Recovery:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

    For step by step instruction.

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese