Please help with newly built PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by buffy, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. buffy

    buffy Guest

    Just finished building my first PC but when I switched on I am getting one
    long beep followed by three short ones which I know shouldn't happen

    ASUS MB A7V8X with Athlon XP 2200XP CPU

    I heard it could be due to the fact that I have no Graphics card in the
    machine yet or it is a memory fault

    I bought generic 256mb DDR PC3200 which the board will take to install into
    the machine which gives the beeping as mentioned

    I also tried 512 MB of generic PC2100 DDR from my old machine which makes no
    difference all

    Is this board fussy about what memory it can take??

    Do I have major problems??

    Thanks

    Stuart

    buffy, Oct 17, 2003

  2. buffy

    Paul - xxx Guest

    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/ may help

    buffy tried to scribble ...

    --
    Digweed
    '79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette,

    Paul - xxx, Oct 17, 2003

  3. buffy

    WCH Guest

    Are you saying that you have no graphics card in your computer? If not, I
    don't know if that'll cause that beep pattern, but you won't be able to DO
    anything without it. You might even be getting a BIOS message with the
    beeps, but if you don't have a graphics card and a monitor attached you
    won't know it.

    WCH, Oct 17, 2003
  4. buffy

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'buffy',

    This site should help you solve your problem.

    You did not say which firm manufactured your Bios.

    http://www.hi-tech.net/zones/help-beep.html

    Let us know how you get on.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 17, 2003
  5. buffy

    buffy Guest

    Looking around it seems that this board is notoriosly fussy about which
    memory it accepts. I've gone to both Kingston and Crucial sites but there is
    a differnce in this CL2.5 for the Kingston modules and crucial which offer
    the same at CL3. Apparently ASus say that KINGston is one of the few that
    run well in this board but I've had Crucial memory before and know I could
    get it a loit faster. It worries me though that the crucial is CL3 and it
    might not work again

    buffy, Oct 17, 2003
  6. buffy

    buffy Guest

    Its a phoenix bios but I find theexplanations a little hard to understand

    buffy, Oct 17, 2003
  7. buffy

    Harrison Guest

    Three, One & Two Beeps Master DMA Register Test Failure

    Harrison, Oct 17, 2003
  8. buffy

    Emrys Davies Guest

    This site indicates that you may have an Award Bios.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7v8x/specification.htm

    Have a word with the motherboard manufacturer.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 17, 2003
  9. buffy

    Buffalo Guest

    "buffy" <> wrote in message
    > Its a phoenix bios but I find theexplanations a little hard to understand

    You have an Award BIOS and it probably means a memory problem.
    The beep codes are not always consistent through different socket types.
    On the older Award BIOSs, one long and three short beeps meant a 'keyboard'
    problem.
    Crucial guarantee's their recommended memory will work. The difference
    between CAS2.5 and 3 is barely, if at all, noticeable.
    However, if you can get similar quality sticks, you should go for the faster
    one (ie: 2 before 2.5 or 2.5 before 3).
    Hope you get it up and running shortly.
    Overall, Asus makes high quaility MB's and they 'ususally' aren't too fussy
    about the memory. I don't know about that particular MB though.

    Buffalo, Oct 17, 2003
  10. buffy

    buffy Guest

    Can you give a beginner a bit more idea of what this means?
    Thanks

    buffy, Oct 17, 2003
  11. buffy

    ohms Guest

    "buffy" <> wrote in message
    > Can you give a beginner a bit more idea of what this means?
    > Thanks
    > "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > > Three, One & Two Beeps Master DMA Register Test Failure
    > >
    > > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:54:40 +0100, "buffy"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Its a phoenix bios but I find theexplanations a little hard to

    understand
    > > >" Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message

    > getting

    happen

    > install

    This website shows 1 long and 3 short beeps as a video error

    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

    Try booting with any old videocard in to see if that is the problem

    ohms, Oct 17, 2003
  12. buffy

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as buffy continued:

    > Is this board fussy about what memory it can take??

    RTFM.
    --
    slumpy
    If it is true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the

    slumpy, Oct 17, 2003
  13. buffy

    Bryan Guest

    "buffy" <> wrote in message
    > Just finished building my first PC but when I switched on I am
    > getting one long beep followed by three short ones which I know
    > shouldn't happen
    >
    > ASUS MB A7V8X with Athlon XP 2200XP CPU
    >
    > I heard it could be due to the fact that I have no Graphics card in
    > the machine yet or it is a memory fault
    >
    > I bought generic 256mb DDR PC3200 which the board will take to
    > install into the machine which gives the beeping as mentioned
    >
    > I also tried 512 MB of generic PC2100 DDR from my old machine which
    > makes no difference all
    >
    > Is this board fussy about what memory it can take??
    >
    > Do I have major problems??
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v8x/overview.htm
    :)

    Bryan, Oct 17, 2003
  14. buffy

    Gio Guest

    "buffy" <> wrote in message
    > Just finished building my first PC but when I switched on I am getting one
    > long beep followed by three short ones which I know shouldn't happen
    >
    > ASUS MB A7V8X with Athlon XP 2200XP CPU
    >
    > I heard it could be due to the fact that I have no Graphics card in the
    > machine yet <snip>

    Good Grief!
    Yes it is because you have no graphics card in the machine. Install a video
    card and I'm sure your beeping will go away. By all means, please advise if
    this helps!

    Gio, Oct 18, 2003
  15. buffy

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:12:58 +0100, "buffy"
    <> wrote:

    >Just finished building my first PC but when I switched on I am getting one
    >long beep followed by three short ones which I know shouldn't happen
    >
    >ASUS MB A7V8X with Athlon XP 2200XP CPU
    >
    >I heard it could be due to the fact that I have no Graphics card in the
    >machine yet or it is a memory fault

    Does it have on-board graphics. If so and provided that is selected in
    the BIOS, "no graphics card" is not a problem.

    If there is no on-board graphics and no PCI or AGP graphics card, then
    the system will not start.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Oct 18, 2003
  16. ohms wrote:
    > "buffy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can you give a beginner a bit more idea of what this means?
    >>Thanks
    >>"Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Three, One & Two Beeps Master DMA Register Test Failure

    > This website shows 1 long and 3 short beeps as a video error
    >
    > http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
    >
    > Try booting with any old videocard in to see if that is the problem

    Yeah, er ... not having a video card installed (as the OP admitted)
    WOULD cause a video error, right??

    Tergiversative, Oct 19, 2003