Please help with networking problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Young Man, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    Hi all,

    I am struggling to network my 3 home computers. I have a DSL router that
    feeds into Computer 1 via USB. The DSL router also has a ethernet port which
    feeds Computer 2. All is well here and both computers can access the net
    without any problems and share files etc.

    The problem is that my router only has the two ports. So what I'm trying to
    do is connect Computer 3 to Computer 1 via a crossover cable. When I plug
    the cable into the computers respective ports I get a "limited connectivity
    or no connection" message in the systray. I read on the net that this
    problem could be fixed by assigning static IPs to the network adaptors. I
    did this and the "limited connectivity" problem went away but I lost my
    connection to the internet on Computer 1.

    Does anyone know why this happened? Since I have two network adaptors on
    Computer 1 (DSL router and ethernet) is it not possible to have the DSL
    router adaptor assign IP automatically while the ethernet adaptor set as
    static IP?

    Any help will be most appreciated.

    Thanks

    Young Man, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Young Man

    Axle Guest

    Young Man wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am struggling to network my 3 home computers. I have a DSL router that
    > feeds into Computer 1 via USB. The DSL router also has a ethernet port which
    > feeds Computer 2. All is well here and both computers can access the net
    > without any problems and share files etc.
    >
    > The problem is that my router only has the two ports. So what I'm trying to
    > do is connect Computer 3 to Computer 1 via a crossover cable. When I plug
    > the cable into the computers respective ports I get a "limited connectivity
    > or no connection" message in the systray. I read on the net that this
    > problem could be fixed by assigning static IPs to the network adaptors. I
    > did this and the "limited connectivity" problem went away but I lost my
    > connection to the internet on Computer 1.
    >
    > Does anyone know why this happened? Since I have two network adaptors on
    > Computer 1 (DSL router and ethernet) is it not possible to have the DSL
    > router adaptor assign IP automatically while the ethernet adaptor set as
    > static IP?
    >
    > Any help will be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Get a cheap switch and connect computer 1 and computer 3 to the switch
    and the uplink to the second card on computer 2 and set up computer 2 to
    be the ics router so it assigns addresses to 1 and 3.
    Then you have proper firewalling and an internal network that you can add to

    Axle, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "Axle" <> wrote in message
    > Get a cheap switch and connect computer 1 and computer 3 to the switch and
    > the uplink to the second card on computer 2 and set up computer 2 to be
    > the ics router so it assigns addresses to 1 and 3.
    > Then you have proper firewalling and an internal network that you can add

    I thought about this but I'm wondering if there is a solution to my problem
    without having to buy more hardware.

    Young Man, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Young Man

    Axle Guest

    Young Man wrote:
    > "Axle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Get a cheap switch and connect computer 1 and computer 3 to the switch and
    >>the uplink to the second card on computer 2 and set up computer 2 to be
    >>the ics router so it assigns addresses to 1 and 3.
    >>Then you have proper firewalling and an internal network that you can add

    > I thought about this but I'm wondering if there is a solution to my problem
    > without having to buy more hardware.

    Use the USB connection to connect the router to computer 2 then connect
    computer 1 and 3 to each of the ethernet cards with crossover cables

    Axle, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Young Man

    John B Guest

    "Axle" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Young Man wrote:
    > > "Axle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Get a cheap switch and connect computer 1 and computer 3 to the switch and
    > >>the uplink to the second card on computer 2 and set up computer 2 to be
    > >>the ics router so it assigns addresses to 1 and 3.
    > >>Then you have proper firewalling and an internal network that you can add

    > > I thought about this but I'm wondering if there is a solution to my problem
    > > without having to buy more hardware.
    > >

    > Use the USB connection to connect the router to computer 2 then connect
    > computer 1 and 3 to each of the ethernet cards with crossover cables

    Just go wireless. Well worth it.

    John B, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Young Man

    Enkidu Guest

    Young Man wrote:
    > "Axle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Get a cheap switch and connect computer 1 and computer 3 to the switch and
    >>the uplink to the second card on computer 2 and set up computer 2 to be
    >>the ics router so it assigns addresses to 1 and 3.
    >>Then you have proper firewalling and an internal network that you can add

    > I thought about this but I'm wondering if there is a solution to my problem
    > without having to buy more hardware.

    It could be made to work, but what Axle suggests involves
    much less pain.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Young Man

    Richard Guest

    Young Man wrote:

    > I thought about this but I'm wondering if there is a solution to my problem
    > without having to buy more hardware.

    There probarbly is, but what do you value your time at? A cheap switch is under
    $25, you plug it in, and it will all work.

    Or you can try bridging the USB and the LAN adaptor on the PC that you want to
    connect with a crossover cable, but chances are it will not work.

    You could try internet connection sharing on the machine with the USB
    connection, but you will find that upnp wont support 2 nat traversals so you get
    msn not working properly on the PC that goes thru the other.

    You can try setting the 2 pcs on the crossover cable up on a different subnet
    and then get frustrated as you dsl router makes it very difficult to get the
    second subnet routed back to it.

    Or, spend $25, have it work.

    Richard, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Young Man

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Young Man wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am struggling to network my 3 home computers. I have a DSL router that
    > feeds into Computer 1 via USB. The DSL router also has a ethernet port which
    > feeds Computer 2. All is well here and both computers can access the net
    > without any problems and share files etc.
    >
    > The problem is that my router only has the two ports. So what I'm trying to
    > do is connect Computer 3 to Computer 1 via a crossover cable. When I plug
    > the cable into the computers respective ports I get a "limited connectivity
    > or no connection" message in the systray. I read on the net that this
    > problem could be fixed by assigning static IPs to the network adaptors. I
    > did this and the "limited connectivity" problem went away but I lost my
    > connection to the internet on Computer 1.
    >
    > Does anyone know why this happened? Since I have two network adaptors on
    > Computer 1 (DSL router and ethernet) is it not possible to have the DSL
    > router adaptor assign IP automatically while the ethernet adaptor set as
    > static IP?
    >
    > Any help will be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    You may have to assign static routes or make sure you have the right
    subnets in place on the two networks.

    Can you paste the output of
    route print

    then we maybe able to make some suggestions.

    Personally I'd buy a cheap switch connect all 4 devices to it
    3 computers and dsl router, then just let the router with its
    DHCP and firewall look after the rest for you.
    You may need a crossover cable or use an uplink port/switch
    for the DSL router.

    ChrisOD, Mar 29, 2005
  9. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Young Man wrote:
    > Personally I'd buy a cheap switch connect all 4 devices to it
    > 3 computers and dsl router, then just let the router with its
    > DHCP and firewall look after the rest for you.
    > You may need a crossover cable or use an uplink port/switch
    > for the DSL router.

    Is it really that simple? All I gotta do is buy a switch and plug the three
    computers and the dsl router into it? What type of cables do you require for
    the switch? The problem is I am already running some 30 metres of
    "non-crossover" cable to my second computer downstairs. I've had to do a lot
    of crawling under the house to lay this cable and a fair amount of time
    tacking it to the walls etc. Will this cable work with the switch or do I
    need a crossover cable? I am not prepared to pull out all the cable and lay
    new ones!

    Young Man, Mar 29, 2005

  10. > Is it really that simple?

    YES
    >All I gotta do is buy a switch and plug the three
    > computers and the dsl router into it? What type of cables do you require for
    > the switch? The problem is I am already running some 30 metres of
    > "non-crossover" cable to my second computer downstairs. I've had to do a lot
    > of crawling under the house to lay this cable and a fair amount of time
    > tacking it to the walls etc. Will this cable work with the switch or do I
    > need a crossover cable? I am not prepared to pull out all the cable and lay
    > new ones!

    computer to computer cable is normally crossover, and computer to
    switch/hub is normally straight through(what you called non-crossover)
    (as an aside even if you have the wrong cable its a matter of
    replacing the connector(s) and not the whole cable to change from
    crossover to straight through or vice versa)
    recently I have been reliably informed new switches dont mind what cable
    is jammed in (although ask the sales clerk on your piece of hardware)

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \'@"
    /__|\__/|__\
    \__U_/

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 29, 2005
  11. Young Man

    Axel Guest

    Young Man wrote:
    > "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <>, Young Man wrote:
    >>Personally I'd buy a cheap switch connect all 4 devices to it
    >>3 computers and dsl router, then just let the router with its
    >>DHCP and firewall look after the rest for you.
    >>You may need a crossover cable or use an uplink port/switch
    >>for the DSL router.

    > Is it really that simple? All I gotta do is buy a switch and plug the three
    > computers and the dsl router into it? What type of cables do you require for
    > the switch? The problem is I am already running some 30 metres of
    > "non-crossover" cable to my second computer downstairs. I've had to do a lot
    > of crawling under the house to lay this cable and a fair amount of time
    > tacking it to the walls etc. Will this cable work with the switch or do I
    > need a crossover cable? I am not prepared to pull out all the cable and lay
    > new ones!

    If its the DLink 302G its described as a modem that supports 2 PCs
    rather than a router, thats why I suggested getting the PC to do the
    packet routing.
    You can use a short crossover cable and an RJ45 joiner to crossover the
    long cable if you need to, but with a cheap switch hub you wouldn't have to.

    Axel, Mar 30, 2005
  12. Young Man

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Axel <> wrote in news::

    > You can use a short crossover cable and an RJ45 joiner to crossover
    > the long cable if you need to, but with a cheap switch hub you
    > wouldn't have to.

    New cheap Genilan switches even have auto cross over detection....

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 30, 2005
  13. Young Man

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Axel wrote:
    > Young Man wrote:
    >> "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In article <>, Young Man wrote:
    >>>Personally I'd buy a cheap switch connect all 4 devices to it
    >>>3 computers and dsl router, then just let the router with its
    >>>DHCP and firewall look after the rest for you.
    >>>You may need a crossover cable or use an uplink port/switch
    >>>for the DSL router.

    >> Is it really that simple? All I gotta do is buy a switch and plug the three
    >> computers and the dsl router into it? What type of cables do you require for
    >> the switch? The problem is I am already running some 30 metres of
    >> "non-crossover" cable to my second computer downstairs. I've had to do a lot
    >> of crawling under the house to lay this cable and a fair amount of time
    >> tacking it to the walls etc. Will this cable work with the switch or do I
    >> need a crossover cable? I am not prepared to pull out all the cable and lay
    >> new ones!
    >>

    > If its the DLink 302G its described as a modem that supports 2 PCs
    > rather than a router, thats why I suggested getting the PC to do the
    > packet routing.
    > You can use a short crossover cable and an RJ45 joiner to crossover the
    > long cable if you need to, but with a cheap switch hub you wouldn't have to.

    I have used a 302g and despite it being described as a modem it is a router.
    a quick telnet shows all the normal dlink interface.

    The cable the OP needs to use is ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors.
    The only crossover he might need is between the switch and D302G but
    a modern switch should handle this.

    ChrisOD, Mar 30, 2005
  14. Young Man

    H C E Guest

    On , , Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:37:21 +1200, Re: Please help with
    networking problems, "Young Man" <> wrote:

    >"ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Young Man wrote:
    >> Personally I'd buy a cheap switch connect all 4 devices to it
    >> 3 computers and dsl router, then just let the router with its
    >> DHCP and firewall look after the rest for you.
    >> You may need a crossover cable or use an uplink port/switch
    >> for the DSL router.

    >Is it really that simple? All I gotta do is buy a switch and plug the three
    >computers and the dsl router into it? What type of cables do you require for
    >the switch? The problem is I am already running some 30 metres of
    >"non-crossover" cable

    The "crossover" function is performed by the wiring of the plugs.
    The cable remains the same type, as long as it is CAT 5 or CAT 6
    you can rewire the plugs if you have enough slack left at the
    sockets you have installed. I find that leaving a 12 inches of
    loose cable behind the wall so you have room for further
    maintainance.

    >to my second computer downstairs. I've had to do a lot
    >of crawling under the house to lay this cable and a fair amount of time
    >tacking it to the walls etc. Will this cable work with the switch

    Yes it will as long as it fits the criteria I have outlined
    above.

    H C E, Mar 31, 2005