Please help with htaccess

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Leslie E. Zeigler, May 22, 2005.

  1. Hello!

    Some time ago, I set up a computer installed with Windows 2000 as a
    webserver running Apache2 and had a directory I wished to keep private.
    password protected with

    ..htaccess. It worked with no trouble for the few years I used it but

    that was long ago and I only set it up just that once.

    Recently, I have been experimenting with Linux and attempting to recreate my
    personal webserver. So far, most everything is working correctly. Phpbb2
    with SQL Database and

    Photo-gallery work nicely.

    However, I'm having a lot of trouble getting the .htaccess password
    protection to work this time with the one directory that I would like to
    keep private.

    But first let me say that I've spent many, many days reading through

    manuals and all sorts of "online help" already posted by people that have
    had the

    same or similar problem, but with no luck in my case. So please realize that
    I've attempted to solve the problem on my own already. ;-)

    Can anyone suggest what I might be missing?

    I created the .htpasswd directory with the .htpasswd file as described in
    the

    many help sites I've visited researching this particular problem, made the
    ..htaccess file and placed it in the directory I wish to protect and modified
    the httpd.config file to include a

    "<directory> </directory>" entry for the specific directory I would like to
    protect with htaccess.

    I get no errors when restarting Apache2 but the directory just keeps loading

    with no password prompt no matter what I do in the httpd.conf file. L

    Can someone please suggest what I might be doing to keep Apache2 from using

    ..htaccess correctly?

    Thanks in advance you for any help!!

    LZ
    Leslie E. Zeigler, May 22, 2005