Please HELP with FLAC files

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lee, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Sorry if this question has already been asked here many times
    previously, but I'm quite frustrated and don't know what else to do
    other than asking for help here. I just received some FLAC music files
    on a CD-R through a trade with someone, but so far unfortunately
    they're completely useless to me until I can convert them to WAV files
    that I can then burn to a new CD-R. Could anyone who can please help?
    It'll be greatly appreciated - thanks.

    The trader told me to go to http://flac.sourceforge.net/, and so I did,
    and then went to its download page. I downloaded "FLAC 1.1.2 for
    Windows with installer" (because my PC runs on Windows XP), but when I
    tried running/opening the FLAC112A.EXE file that resulted, I get the
    following "NSIS Error" message -

    "The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This
    could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus."

    So then I tried downloading "FLAC 1.1.2 for Windows (tools only)"
    (because I don't know what the hell else to do!), and also tried
    downloading older versions such as 1.1.1, but maddeningly, none of them
    work! I get these ZIP files that I have to extract (or extract from -
    or whatever the hell you call it), then find that I have a few
    different application/executable files (and a bunch of other files),
    but when I try clicking on each of them, all I get is a quick flash of
    a black window that disappears as soon as it appears. So what the hell
    do I try now? I have already spent much more time on this than I
    really should have to (including having to write this lengthy message),
    and again, I'm now quite frustrated. So again, could anyone who can
    please try to help me? It'll be greatly appreciated - thanks.
    Lee, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Lee

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    I've never used it to convert a FLAC file, but this freeware might be worth
    a try:

    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/GXTranscoder/1041539980/1

    (It's a 13 MB download.) If the link expires, the software is GX Transcoder.

    Addres scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    Bob Knowlden, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Lee

    cahgoonis Guest

    I use db power amp found here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
    I can't remember, but you may need to download the flac plugin also found on
    that site.

    cahgoonis, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Lee

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    Lee wrote:

    > Sorry if this question has already been asked here many times
    > previously, but I'm quite frustrated and don't know what else to do
    > other than asking for help here. I just received some FLAC music
    > files on a CD-R through a trade with someone, but so far unfortunately
    > they're completely useless to me until I can convert them to WAV files
    > that I can then burn to a new CD-R. Could anyone who can please help?
    > It'll be greatly appreciated - thanks.
    >
    > The trader told me to go to http://flac.sourceforge.net/, and so I
    > did, and then went to its download page. I downloaded "FLAC 1.1.2 for
    > Windows with installer" (because my PC runs on Windows XP), but when I
    > tried running/opening the FLAC112A.EXE file that resulted, I get the
    > following "NSIS Error" message -
    >
    > "The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This
    > could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus."
    >
    > So then I tried downloading "FLAC 1.1.2 for Windows (tools only)"
    > (because I don't know what the hell else to do!), and also tried
    > downloading older versions such as 1.1.1, but maddeningly, none of
    > them work! I get these ZIP files that I have to extract (or extract
    > from - or whatever the hell you call it), then find that I have a few
    > different application/executable files (and a bunch of other files),
    > but when I try clicking on each of them, all I get is a quick flash of
    > a black window that disappears as soon as it appears. So what the
    > hell do I try now? I have already spent much more time on this than I
    > really should have to (including having to write this lengthy
    > message), and again, I'm now quite frustrated. So again, could anyone
    > who can please try to help me? It'll be greatly appreciated - thanks.

    Maybe the file is indeed corrupted. Download from here:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FLAC.htm
    '

    Who Is Mike Richter and
    Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
    http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

    (No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
    ( a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

    Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

    Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

    What an Asshole
    smh, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Lee

    yeltz Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > Sorry if this question has already been asked here many times
    > previously, but I'm quite frustrated and don't know what else to do
    > other than asking for help here. I just received some FLAC music files
    > on a CD-R through a trade with someone, but so far unfortunately
    > they're completely useless to me until I can convert them to WAV files
    > that I can then burn to a new CD-R. Could anyone who can please help?
    > It'll be greatly appreciated - thanks.

    --snip--

    Download the FLAC Front End application. It's quite small.
    http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm
    With this program you will be able to convert your FLAC files into the
    WAV format.
    Tip: Make sure you specify a different "Output directory" (espescially
    if you are converting straight from the CD-R)
    yeltz, Sep 2, 2005
  6. Lee

    Nil Guest

    On 01 Sep 2005, "yeltz" <> wrote in

    > Download the FLAC Front End application. It's quite small.
    > http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

    FLAC Frontend is included in the sourceforge Windows distribution. In
    fact, the one available at the address you mention is older than the
    one from sourceforge.
    Nil, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Lee

    Ellis Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this question has already been asked here many times
    > previously, but I'm quite frustrated and don't know what else to do
    > other than asking for help here. I just received some FLAC music files
    > on a CD-R through a trade with someone, but so far unfortunately
    > they're completely useless to me until I can convert them to WAV files
    > that I can then burn to a new CD-R. Could anyone who can please help?
    > It'll be greatly appreciated - thanks.

    Do a google for the Yahoo Music Engine. It will play Flac's, no problem.
    (And it is free)

    Ellis
    Ellis, Sep 2, 2005
  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Just want to say thanks very much to everyone for all the help. I've
    managed to get the problem(s) resolved. Again, thanks.
    Lee, Sep 3, 2005