Please help with file and print sharing!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jamie&Rachel, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Jamie&Rachel

    Jamie&Rachel Guest

    hi all

    just bought a wireless adsl modem router and a wireless adapter for the
    desktop, also a wireless adapter for the laptop.
    I've installed them fine. Could anyone possibly tell me step by step
    instructions on how to file share and print share on these two pc's. Both
    have connected to the router fine. I've done it before (fluke) on other
    peoples networks but can't remember how!
    Do I really need the router (not using broadband anyway on these pc's) as I
    recall once I just shared using the wireless adapters on each pc? All I
    want to be able to do is view shared folders on either pc and also print
    remoteley from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop.
    I have done something that lets me see my desktops shared folders (not
    laptops shared folders though) in "My Network Places" but only on the
    desktop. The laptop doesnt show anything in "My Network Places"
    Where am I going wrong?

    Thanks In advance for any help you can provide

    P.S
    Desktop is running on Win XP Home SP2
    Laptop is on Win XP Pro

    Regards

    Jamie
    Jamie&Rachel, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Jamie&Rachel

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 06:45:54 GMT, "Jamie&Rachel" <> wrote:

    >hi all
    >
    >just bought a wireless adsl modem router and a wireless adapter for the
    >desktop, also a wireless adapter for the laptop.
    >I've installed them fine. Could anyone possibly tell me step by step
    >instructions on how to file share and print share on these two pc's. Both
    >have connected to the router fine. I've done it before (fluke) on other
    >peoples networks but can't remember how!
    >Do I really need the router (not using broadband anyway on these pc's) as I
    >recall once I just shared using the wireless adapters on each pc? All I
    >want to be able to do is view shared folders on either pc and also print
    >remoteley from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop.
    >I have done something that lets me see my desktops shared folders (not
    >laptops shared folders though) in "My Network Places" but only on the
    >desktop. The laptop doesnt show anything in "My Network Places"
    >Where am I going wrong?
    >
    >Thanks In advance for any help you can provide
    >
    >P.S
    >Desktop is running on Win XP Home SP2
    >Laptop is on Win XP Pro
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Jamie

    Get Help Setting Up Shared Computers
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=4121732
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    To access the Security tab when accessing the Properties of a file, folder, or drive:
    Your hard drive must be formatted NTFS for this tab to show up.
    XP Pro: Open Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing.
    XP home: You need to boot up into the Safe Mode as the Administrator, or download the x86
    (Intel) version of the Security Configuration Manager from Microsoft via Doug Knox's site:
    How Do I see the Security Tab in XP Home? http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

    Networking and File Sharing Tutorial
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Get Help Setting Up Shared Computers
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=4121732

    Tips for Fixing XP File and Printer sharing
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article64-page1.php

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040

    How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308007

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308419
    Unk, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Jamie&Rachel wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > just bought a wireless adsl modem router and a wireless adapter for the
    > desktop, also a wireless adapter for the laptop.
    > I've installed them fine. Could anyone possibly tell me step by step
    > instructions on how to file share and print share on these two pc's. Both
    > have connected to the router fine. I've done it before (fluke) on other
    > peoples networks but can't remember how!
    > Do I really need the router (not using broadband anyway on these pc's) as I
    > recall once I just shared using the wireless adapters on each pc? All I
    > want to be able to do is view shared folders on either pc and also print
    > remoteley from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop.
    > I have done something that lets me see my desktops shared folders (not
    > laptops shared folders though) in "My Network Places" but only on the
    > desktop. The laptop doesnt show anything in "My Network Places"
    > Where am I going wrong?
    >
    > Thanks In advance for any help you can provide
    >
    > P.S
    > Desktop is running on Win XP Home SP2
    > Laptop is on Win XP Pro

    Control Panel > Network Setup Wizard
    Run it on both machines, use the same workgroup name on both. Share the
    folders you want.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Jamie&Rachel

    Jamie&Rachel Guest

    thanks for that mate

    will i need to remove all the other settings ive tried setting up already?
    if so how?
    do i need the router for all these operations or can it share through each
    adapter?

    regards

    jamie
    Jamie&Rachel, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Jamie&Rachel wrote:
    > thanks for that mate
    >
    > will i need to remove all the other settings ive tried setting up already?
    > if so how?

    I'd go ahead and just run the Wizard and see if that doesn't work.

    > do i need the router for all these operations or can it share through each
    > adapter?

    With no internet, about the only thing your router would be doing is
    handing out dynamic IP addresses, which is not necessary. You can give
    the machines static IPs if you'd like, choose something like
    192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc. Give them both the same static subnet
    mask, like 255.255.255.0. DNS won't be required since they're not on the
    net. If this seems a little too involved, just use the router.

    As for how to change settings, go into Control Panel, open Network
    Connections, rightclick TCP/IP for your network card and select properties.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 7, 2006
  6. Jamie&Rachel

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jamie&Rachel" <> wrote in message
    > thanks for that mate
    >
    > will i need to remove all the other settings ive tried setting up already?
    > if so how?
    > do i need the router for all these operations or can it share through each
    > adapter?

    You should use Authenticated User Group on Shares as discussed in the link
    to prevent unauthorized access to the shares and take other measures on the
    machines in a wireless situation as someone can be all over the top of your
    machines in a resource sharing situation hacking the wireless and joining
    your network.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Jamie&Rachel

    haggis Guest

    firts of all have you set up a wireless network between your PC &
    Laptop this will allow them to see each other .If you have done this
    already then as your PC already has the printer software installed ,all
    you should need to do is try to print something from the laptop it
    should then ask you to search for a printer on the network if it does
    this you will need to follow this route and it will load a small file
    on the laptop from the PC .The route should be something like Find
    printer ,MSHome,Name of the PC,Printer .OF course you will need file
    and print shareing to be enabled for this to work .You should not
    require the printer sofware CD for this to work .At the same time this
    will/should allw each PC/Laptop to see each other ,You need to start
    with a wireless network on say the PC then save the file to a removable
    device that will then go in the Laptop set up on that then to finish
    put it back in the PC wireless network is or should be set up then you
    will find it very easy to share the printer which should also be shared
    on the network.

    haggis, Jan 8, 2006