Please help with batch file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Scott, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I want to create a bat file for tracert results. I want to be able to
    add several sites to run a tracert on, and have it written to 1 single
    text file. The way i have it so far just by guessing on how to create
    a bat file is this:

    tracert www.yahoo.com > ttt.txt
    tracert www.google.com > google.txt
    but of course that gives me the results but in 2 seperate text files.
    How can I create this bat file to where I can add maybe 20 sites, and
    it do the tracert and then write it to one text file? What am I doing
    wrong?
    Scott, Dec 17, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Scott

    IANAL_VISTA Guest

    Scott <> wrote in
    news::

    > I want to create a bat file for tracert results. I want to be able to
    > add several sites to run a tracert on, and have it written to 1 single
    > text file. The way i have it so far just by guessing on how to create
    > a bat file is this:
    >

    Try the following:

    tracert www.yahoo.com > ttt.txt
    tracert www.google.com >> ttt.txt
    IANAL_VISTA, Dec 17, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Scott

    Mike Easter Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > I want to create a bat file for tracert results.


    What are you trying to tracert? Not what target, but what 'intention' =
    why? Many of the people who are using tracert to gain information about
    a target IP address should be doing performing some operation with
    different net tools in a non-tracert/ non-traceroute/ manner, such as
    determining the target's ASN and upstream adjacencies.

    And many of the other people who /are/ using tracert 'properly' or
    appropriately should be using more powerful traceroute programs than
    they are using, regarding whether the traceroute packets are icmp, udp,
    tcp, or what.

    tracert = icmp traceroute = udp tcptraceroute = tcp

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2005
    #3
  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:17:55 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Scott wrote:
    >> I want to create a bat file for tracert results.

    >
    >What are you trying to tracert? Not what target, but what 'intention' =
    >why? Many of the people who are using tracert to gain information about
    >a target IP address should be doing performing some operation with
    >different net tools in a non-tracert/ non-traceroute/ manner, such as
    >determining the target's ASN and upstream adjacencies.
    >
    >And many of the other people who /are/ using tracert 'properly' or
    >appropriately should be using more powerful traceroute programs than
    >they are using, regarding whether the traceroute packets are icmp, udp,
    >tcp, or what.
    >
    >tracert = icmp traceroute = udp tcptraceroute = tcp


    I'm having internet trouble, and just basically want to send a text
    file to my ISP to see if they can figure out where the problem is
    coming from. Rather than have to do each tracert individually I want
    to create a batch file that will test all sites that I input into the
    batch file and then write it to one individual text file.
    Scott, Dec 17, 2005
    #4
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:13:12 GMT, "IANAL_VISTA"
    <> wrote:

    >Scott <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> I want to create a bat file for tracert results. I want to be able to
    >> add several sites to run a tracert on, and have it written to 1 single
    >> text file. The way i have it so far just by guessing on how to create
    >> a bat file is this:
    >>

    >Try the following:
    >
    >tracert www.yahoo.com > ttt.txt
    >tracert www.google.com >> ttt.txt


    thank you...
    Scott, Dec 17, 2005
    #5
  6. Scott

    Mike Easter Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Scott wrote:


    >>> I want to create a bat file for tracert results.

    >>
    >> What are you trying to tracert? Not what target, but what
    >> 'intention' = why?


    > I'm having internet trouble, and just basically want to send a text
    > file to my ISP to see if they can figure out where the problem is
    > coming from.


    The way my previous broadband provider would have one perform
    troubleshooting of 'slow' website performance would be to first
    determine whether or not the problem of slowness was somehow related to
    the 'connectivity' quality. Nothing about some faraway website.

    You could use a nearby target IP which answers and hit it with about
    50-100 pings to see if there were any dropped packets or similar
    connectivity problems.

    You could also use a nearby target BigFile and download it and determine
    if the download speed was appropriate. You could also use a nearby
    speedtesting site to see both up and downloading.

    Only if your near connectivity is healthy to the pings and BigFile speed
    should one be researching the more difficult to diagnose problems with
    'faraway' route-wise webaddresses. And, before you start working on the
    faraway website addresses, you need to be absolutely sure that your
    nameservice is not whacky. Very much of the time someone is having some
    kind of problem with a site, it is due to nameservice.

    When you start working on the routing information, you find it is often
    very flakey to interpret because of what answers the tracert icmp
    packets and what doesn't.


    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John

    Batch file help

    John, Oct 8, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    634
    Dead_Dad
    Oct 9, 2003
  2. Ron

    Batch file help

    Ron, Jul 14, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    578
  3. Tom

    Batch File - Renaming File with DATE

    Tom, Mar 3, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    7,811
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    batch file/regedit/runas help please guys.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,923
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Aug 9, 2004
  5. lbbss

    Batch file to backup one Doc file?

    lbbss, Mar 23, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    516
    sandy58
    Mar 23, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page