    of the tv card. I start Windows Movie Maker and get video only, no audio. I
    tried all the audio configurations (microphone, wave/mp3.. etc.) and still
    get no audio at all. Suggestions?

    Smooth Operator, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Smooth Operator

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Smooth Operator" <> wrote in message
    news:DqAEe.177505$_o.157546@attbi_s71...
    > P4 3.6ghz
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition
    > AverMedia AverTV MPEG Video Capture
    >
    > I'm trying to encode some old video tapes from my vcr to my computer. I
    > have a coax cable from the line OUT of the vcr to the line IN of the tv
    > card. I also have a red/white rca audio connection from the OUT of the vcr
    > to the IN of the tv card. I start Windows Movie Maker and get video only,
    > no audio. I tried all the audio configurations (microphone, wave/mp3..
    > etc.) and still get no audio at all. Suggestions?

    The AverMedia card should have an audio output. There should have been about
    a 6" cable with the card. You plug the cable the output from the card (the
    jack closest to the coax), and into the line in on the audio of the PC
    (usually blue), then set the sound to record from the Line In.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005

  3. OK all I see on the tv card is FM, coax, svideo and the red/white audio in
    ports. I don't see an audio output.

    Smooth Operator, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Smooth Operator

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Smooth Operator" <> wrote in message
    >>> P4 3.6ghz
    >>> Windows XP Media Center Edition
    >>> AverMedia AverTV MPEG Video Capture
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to encode some old video tapes from my vcr to my computer. I
    >>> have a coax cable from the line OUT of the vcr to the line IN of the tv
    >>> card. I also have a red/white rca audio connection from the OUT of the
    >>> vcr to the IN of the tv card. I start Windows Movie Maker and get video
    >>> only, no audio. I tried all the audio configurations (microphone,
    >>> wave/mp3.. etc.) and still get no audio at all. Suggestions?
    >>>

    >> The AverMedia card should have an audio output. There should have been
    >> about a 6" cable with the card. You plug the cable the output from the
    >> card (the jack closest to the coax), and into the line in on the audio of
    >> the PC (usually blue), then set the sound to record from the Line In.
    >>

    > OK all I see on the tv card is FM, coax, svideo and the red/white audio in
    > ports. I don't see an audio output.

    Oh - you have the FM model. It's different than mine. Try putting the audio
    out of the VCR to the line in of the PC rather than the card. That's just a
    guess, since I don't have that card to try it with.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Smooth Operator

    Render Me Guest

    The coax should carry both audio and video.

    Render Me, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Smooth Operator

    Render Me Guest

    then why would you have rca in?

    Render Me, Jul 24, 2005
  7. Smooth Operator

    Render Me Guest

    use the coax or the 3 rca inputs, not both together.

    Render Me, Jul 24, 2005
  8. Smooth Operator

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The card I have does not interface internally to the PC sound card. It has a
    stereo 1/8" phone jack for audio in, and one for audio out. The audio out
    always goes to the PC line in. If I use coax, I don't use the audio in on
    the TV card. But if I use composite (yellow RCA) from an analog source, I do
    use the audio in. It probably does that so it encodes the sound with the
    video when recording, but the playback sound still goes through the audio
    out into the PC. So as I think about it, putting the audio from the VCR
    direct to the PC line in might not allow the audio to be encoded with the
    video. Hmmmm....time to Google <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  9. Smooth Operator

    Render Me Guest

    You don't use both, either coax or rca (this is the problem)...the vcr is
    analogue out anyways.
    My PVR uses a line in for audio to the PVR card, if you didnt, you would
    have audio sync issues, as the card has about a sec lag...

    Render Me, Jul 24, 2005
  10. Smooth Operator

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True. With the card the OP has, I'd suggest he switch to using the composite
    input and RCA audio instead of the coax anyway - probably better signal
    quality.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  11. Smooth Operator

    Render Me Guest

    I concur.

    > True. With the card the OP has, I'd suggest he switch to using the

    composite
    > input and RCA audio instead of the coax anyway - probably better signal
    > quality.
    >
    > "Render Me" <> wrote in message
    > > You don't use both, either coax or rca (this is the problem)...the vcr

    is
    > > analogue out anyways.
    > > My PVR uses a line in for audio to the PVR card, if you didnt, you would
    > > have audio sync issues, as the card has about a sec lag...
    > >

    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >> The card I have does not interface internally to the PC sound card. It
    > >> has

    > >> stereo 1/8" phone jack for audio in, and one for audio out. The audio

    out
    > >> always goes to the PC line in. If I use coax, I don't use the audio in

    on
    > >> the TV card. But if I use composite (yellow RCA) from an analog source,

    > > do
    > >> use the audio in. It probably does that so it encodes the sound with

    the
    > >> video when recording, but the playback sound still goes through the

    audio
    > >> out into the PC. So as I think about it, putting the audio from the VCR
    > >> direct to the PC line in might not allow the audio to be encoded with

    the
    > >> video. Hmmmm....time to Google <g>
    > >>
    > >> "Render Me" <> wrote in message

    message

    Render Me, Jul 24, 2005
  12. Smooth Operator

    PC Guest

    "Smooth Operator" <> wrote in message
    > P4 3.6ghz
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition
    > AverMedia AverTV MPEG Video Capture
    >
    > I'm trying to encode some old video tapes from my vcr to my computer. I
    > have a coax cable from the line OUT of the vcr to the line IN of the tv
    > card. I also have a red/white rca audio connection from the OUT of the vcr
    > to the IN of the tv card. I start Windows Movie Maker and get video only,
    > no audio. I tried all the audio configurations (microphone, wave/mp3..
    > etc.) and still get no audio at all. Suggestions?

    Open the 'Volume' applet in the system tray (bottom right) (or Control
    panel, Sounds and Audio devices, Volume tab, Device Volume, Advanced button)
    Options menu (top left)
    Properties
    Check for your sound system in the drop down selection box at the top.
    Make sure there is a tick in all the relevant input sources in the lower
    window (eg mono mixer, stereo mixer, line input, wave, aux etc.....) Close
    properties
    Check for 'muted' inputs'
    Reopen Options, Properties
    Click in the 'Recording' option (middle of window, under 'Playback', the
    available inputs will change in the bottom window.
    As for Playback mode tick the relevant input options, close properties and
    you should now see the 'Recording' inputs listed.
    Place a tick in the appropriate input box (stereo mixer is a good one to
    start with)
    I find it convenient to open two Volume control windows when 'debugging'
    sound issues, one set to playback the other to recording options.

    Do be aware under some circumstances 'feedback' can occur giving the same
    effect as no sound. This is when the output of one source is fed back to
    it's input causing the signal to be amplified till it 'flat tops'. (Suffered
    this with a USB Video capture box here, took me a couple of hours to find
    it)

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Smooth Operator

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The other thing I'd suggest is (having used this AverTV card) is get a
    better card <g>. Mine, at it's very best, sucks. Frequent issues with voice
    sync (time lag), jumpy output, barely adequate resolution, bundled software
    was trash. I have a computer with at least three times the recommended
    system requirements, and it still runs poorly. Next time, I'm gonna shop
    around more and spend some real money <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Smooth Operator

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "Smooth Operator" <> wrote in message
    >> P4 3.6ghz
    >> Windows XP Media Center Edition
    >> AverMedia AverTV MPEG Video Capture
    >>
    >> I'm trying to encode some old video tapes from my vcr to my computer. I
    >> have a coax cable from the line OUT of the vcr to the line IN of the tv
    >> card. I also have a red/white rca audio connection from the OUT of the
    >> vcr to the IN of the tv card. I start Windows Movie Maker and get video
    >> only, no audio. I tried all the audio configurations (microphone,
    >> wave/mp3.. etc.) and still get no audio at all. Suggestions?

    > Open the 'Volume' applet in the system tray (bottom right) (or Control
    > panel, Sounds and Audio devices, Volume tab, Device Volume, Advanced
    > button)
    > Options menu (top left)
    > Properties
    > Check for your sound system in the drop down selection box at the top.
    > Make sure there is a tick in all the relevant input sources in the lower
    > window (eg mono mixer, stereo mixer, line input, wave, aux etc.....) Close
    > properties
    > Check for 'muted' inputs'
    > Reopen Options, Properties
    > Click in the 'Recording' option (middle of window, under 'Playback', the
    > available inputs will change in the bottom window.
    > As for Playback mode tick the relevant input options, close properties and
    > you should now see the 'Recording' inputs listed.
    > Place a tick in the appropriate input box (stereo mixer is a good one to
    > start with)
    > I find it convenient to open two Volume control windows when 'debugging'
    > sound issues, one set to playback the other to recording options.
    >
    > Do be aware under some circumstances 'feedback' can occur giving the same
    > effect as no sound. This is when the output of one source is fed back to
    > it's input causing the signal to be amplified till it 'flat tops'.
    > (Suffered this with a USB Video capture box here, took me a couple of
    > hours to find it)

    That's not feedback - that's more like phase cancellation. Feedback is that
    nasty squeal that occurs when an open mic signal loops back through the
    amplifier.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  15. Smooth Operator

    FML Guest

    Smooth Operator wrote:
    > P4 3.6ghz
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition
    > AverMedia AverTV MPEG Video Capture
    >
    > I'm trying to encode some old video tapes from my vcr to my computer. I have
    > a coax cable from the line OUT of the vcr to the line IN of the tv card. I
    > also have a red/white rca audio connection from the OUT of the vcr to the IN
    > of the tv card. I start Windows Movie Maker and get video only, no audio. I
    > tried all the audio configurations (microphone, wave/mp3.. etc.) and still
    > get no audio at all. Suggestions?

    MM is probably configured to get its sound from your sound card. Go to
    the audio configuration area and make sure that the audio on the capture
    board is the source of your audio.

    FML, Jul 24, 2005
  16. Smooth Operator

    Render Me Guest

    I have the HAPPUGE WINTV 250

    > The other thing I'd suggest is (having used this AverTV card) is get a
    > better card <g>. Mine, at it's very best, sucks. Frequent issues with

    voice
    > sync (time lag), jumpy output, barely adequate resolution, bundled

    software
    > was trash. I have a computer with at least three times the recommended
    > system requirements, and it still runs poorly. Next time, I'm gonna shop
    > around more and spend some real money <g>
    >
    > "Render Me" <> wrote in message
    > >I concur.
    > >
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >> True. With the card the OP has, I'd suggest he switch to using the

    > > composite
    > >> input and RCA audio instead of the coax anyway - probably better signal
    > >> quality.
    > >>
    > >> "Render Me" <> wrote in message

    vcr
    > > is

    It

    audio
    > > out

    in
    > > on

    > > the

    > > audio

    with
    > > the

    message

    Render Me, Jul 24, 2005
  17. Smooth Operator

    Toolman Tim Guest

    YEAH - now *that's* what I'm talking about! My next one will have remote
    control. I did add 220 gigabytes extra storage to my PC, but now that I'm
    making car payments again, I don't have near the "flexible" budget I used
    too <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  18. Smooth Operator

    PC Guest

    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Smooth Operator" <> wrote in message
    >>> P4 3.6ghz
    >>> Windows XP Media Center Edition
    >>> AverMedia AverTV MPEG Video Capture
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to encode some old video tapes from my vcr to my computer. I
    >>> have a coax cable from the line OUT of the vcr to the line IN of the tv
    >>> card. I also have a red/white rca audio connection from the OUT of the
    >>> vcr to the IN of the tv card. I start Windows Movie Maker and get video
    >>> only, no audio. I tried all the audio configurations (microphone,
    >>> wave/mp3.. etc.) and still get no audio at all. Suggestions?

    >> Open the 'Volume' applet in the system tray (bottom right) (or Control
    >> panel, Sounds and Audio devices, Volume tab, Device Volume, Advanced
    >> button)
    >> Options menu (top left)
    >> Properties
    >> Check for your sound system in the drop down selection box at the top.
    >> Make sure there is a tick in all the relevant input sources in the lower
    >> window (eg mono mixer, stereo mixer, line input, wave, aux etc.....)
    >> Close properties
    >> Check for 'muted' inputs'
    >> Reopen Options, Properties
    >> Click in the 'Recording' option (middle of window, under 'Playback', the
    >> available inputs will change in the bottom window.
    >> As for Playback mode tick the relevant input options, close properties
    >> and you should now see the 'Recording' inputs listed.
    >> Place a tick in the appropriate input box (stereo mixer is a good one to
    >> start with)
    >> I find it convenient to open two Volume control windows when 'debugging'
    >> sound issues, one set to playback the other to recording options.
    >>
    >> Do be aware under some circumstances 'feedback' can occur giving the same
    >> effect as no sound. This is when the output of one source is fed back to
    >> it's input causing the signal to be amplified till it 'flat tops'.
    >> (Suffered this with a USB Video capture box here, took me a couple of
    >> hours to find it)
    >>

    > That's not feedback - that's more like phase cancellation. Feedback is
    > that nasty squeal that occurs when an open mic signal loops back through
    > the amplifier.

    Hi Toolman

    No it was feedback, well in this case anyway.
    The tiny bit of sound I could hear as the capture box came on gave me the
    clue.
    It started of at normal levels but immediately the levels shot up taking the
    meters to the max where they stayed.
    Phasing errors would have stayed at the same level.
    Pulling one of the input levels to 0 gave me a brief sound blip again as it
    all came down.
    Can't remember which 'input' I muted to fix it (probably setup related
    anyway)

    The feedback squeal you refer to is exactly what was happening, but at a
    frequency that was beyond hearing.
    One has to remember this is happening within the PC sound card making signal
    paths short.
    The 'squeal' one usually hears from a PA for example is usually within the
    audio range because of the longer paths between input and output (mic and
    speaker if you like)
    These longer paths naturally limit the upper frequency the feedback can
    reach.

    As for Phase cancellation, no.
    Reason, lessons learned trying to build phasing SSB transmitters in the days
    when sideband filters were diabolically expensive.
    100% Phase cancellation can happen in "Theory" but believe you me over the
    range of normal hearing it is very difficult to get beyond a few 10's of db
    cancellation except in one relatively narrow range.
    Mind you with modern DSP's I guess anything's possible now.

    Did have one sortof 'phase' job a few years ago.
    Local Music shops sound system, complaints of low or no vocals on CD's
    played thru Stereo speakers, no problem through CD player head phone socket.
    Cause was the DIN lead between CD player and Stereo had an open circuit
    ground lead.
    The 'Music' was coming through sortof ok because the difference signal
    generated between the left and right track. i.e. Violins left, Violas right
    etc, i.e the left and right channels were out of phase with one another. The
    clue to their 'difference origin was determined by listening on the Stereo's
    headphone socket showed it was 'mono'
    The vocals were however at similar levels on both CD tracks. Because they
    were 'In Phase' with one another on each track they could not generate a
    large 'difference' signal at the Stereo's input, hence the 'Vocal' was at a
    'very' low level, note it was 'low' not 'silent'.

    OK enuff ramblings for a Sunday nite.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jul 24, 2005