Please help - widescreen bloopers

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Heather4, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Heather4

    Heather4 Guest

    Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to be)
    a standard dimension TV screen.
    Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't perform
    as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3 things
    happens.

    1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
    what I want.

    2. Plays as a full screen movie.

    3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
    in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
    skinnier than they should be.

    On some double-sided DVD's I have, I'd rather watch the full-screen version
    (#2) than the squished widescreen version (#3) which looks really unnatural.

    Thank you in advance for any help!
    HR

    Heather4, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Heather4 wrote:
    > Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to be)
    > a standard dimension TV screen.
    > Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't perform
    > as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3 things
    > happens.
    >
    > 1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
    > what I want.
    >
    > 2. Plays as a full screen movie.

    One of two things are happening, either you've accidentally selected the
    4:3 version of the movie (sometimes both versions are on the same side
    of the disc), or your player is trying to downconvert a widescreen
    picture by just zooming into the picture, kind of an automatic pan and
    scan (without the panning, of course).

    > 3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
    > in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
    > skinnier than they should be.

    You are seeing a squished picture because you are watching an anamorphic
    DVD, but your player is not set up to down-convert the picture to 4:3.
    All players are different, consult your instructions to see how to set
    your player properly. Here's a handy page to explain all of this stuff:

    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FilmToVideo/

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Heather4

    Doonie Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:35:37 -0500, Heather4 wrote:

    >Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to be)
    >a standard dimension TV screen.
    >Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't perform
    >as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3 things
    >happens.
    >
    >1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
    >what I want.
    >
    >2. Plays as a full screen movie.
    >
    >3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
    >in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
    >skinnier than they should be.

    Sounds like you have your player in 16:9 mode. Go into its setup
    menu and tell it it's connected to a 4:3 TV.

    --
    Don't let your children watch television.

    Doonie, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Heather4

    Heather4 Guest

    Very informative site. Thanks for the info.

    Heather4, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Heather4

    Heather4 Guest

    Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
    trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

    Heather4, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Heather4

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:29:52 -0500, Heather4 wrote:

    >Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
    >trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

    Set at 4:3, your player *should* be downconverting the anamorphic
    image to fit onto your 4:3 TV.. Only with your player set to 16:9
    mode would the image look tall and skinny/stretched.

    --
    Don't let your children watch television.

    Doonie, Dec 30, 2003
  7. Heather4

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : 1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This is
    : what I want.
    :
    : 2. Plays as a full screen movie.
    :
    : 3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been "squished"
    : in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
    : skinnier than they should be.
    :
    : On some double-sided DVD's I have, I'd rather watch the full-screen version
    : (#2) than the squished widescreen version (#3) which looks really unnatural.
    :
    :
    ========================
    You must go into your DVD set-up and select 4:3 letterboxed in the screen portion.
    It sounds like your player thinks you have a 16:9 set.

    Richard C., Dec 30, 2003
  8. Heather4

    Richard C. Guest

    "Heather4" <> wrote in message
    : Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
    : trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

    ============
    Even they should display properly.
    ==================
    :
    :
    : "Doonie" <> wrote in message
    : news:eek:...
    : > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:35:37 -0500, Heather4 wrote:
    : >
    : > >Ok, I really like the widescreen format even though I have (what used to
    : be)
    : > >a standard dimension TV screen.
    : > >Problem is, many (but not all) of the "Widescreen" DVD's I get don't
    : perform
    : > >as I would expect, with the black bars on top and bottom. One of 3
    : things
    : > >happens.
    : > >
    : > >1. Plays as a widescreen movie with black bars on top and bottom. This
    : is
    : > >what I want.
    : > >
    : > >2. Plays as a full screen movie.
    : > >
    : > >3. Plays as a full screen movie but it appears that it has been
    : "squished"
    : > >in at the sides, essentially making objects on the screen seem taller and
    : > >skinnier than they should be.
    : >
    : > Sounds like you have your player in 16:9 mode. Go into its setup
    : > menu and tell it it's connected to a 4:3 TV.
    : >
    :
    : > --

    Richard C., Dec 30, 2003
  9. Heather4

    Heather4 Guest

    Actually, the anamorphic widescreen DVD I just checked (Miller's Crossing)
    appears as a full-screen image with no stretching or skewing. This is with
    the DVD player set to 4:3 or 4:3 Letterbox.

    H4

    Note to self: Don't set the player to progressive scan if you're not using
    component video jacks - yiiiikes where'd the picture go? Got it back after
    much fiddling.

    Heather4, Dec 30, 2003
  10. Heather4

    Justin Guest

    Heather4 wrote on [Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:17:08 -0500]:
    > Actually, the anamorphic widescreen DVD I just checked (Miller's Crossing)
    > appears as a full-screen image with no stretching or skewing. This is with
    > the DVD player set to 4:3 or 4:3 Letterbox.

    Is there a zoom function that's turned on?

    Justin, Dec 30, 2003
  11. Heather4 wrote:

    > Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
    > trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

    What brand is your player?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 30, 2003
  12. Heather4

    Heather4 Guest

    It's a Toshiba and it's all working fine now. Thanks to the group for
    helping out a noobie.

    Heather4, Dec 30, 2003
  13. Heather4

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Heather4" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thanks, I figured out how to change it to 4:3 Letterbox and that did the
    > trick, except for the anamorphic widescreen DVD's.

    If you are still seeing a "squished" picture then you haven't gotten
    the setting right yet. It has to be set for a 4:3 TV or the 4:3
    Letterbox mode.

    BTW, what is your brand and model of TV?

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Dec 30, 2003
  14. Heather4

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:28:15 -0500, Heather4 wrote:

    >It's a Toshiba and it's all working fine now. Thanks to the group for
    >helping out a noobie.

    What was the matter?

    --
    Don't let your children watch television.

    Doonie, Dec 31, 2003
  15. Heather4

    Eric R. Guest

    (Smaug69) wrote in message

    > BTW, what is your brand and model of TV?

    Mine is a Norelco 10" that I picked up in the clearance bin at K-Mart.
    It may not have fancy s-video hookups (or a/v or coaxial hookups
    either, for that matter) but it only cost me $6.98, so I ain't
    complaining.

    Sure, I wouldn't *mind* having a fancy "color" TV. And I wouldn't
    *mind* having a TV that doesn't throw off sparks and smell like
    burning plastic. But money doesn't grow on trees.

    We should just be happy with what we have. That's what Buddha said.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Dec 31, 2003