Please help us with a Wireless fraud situation

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by irfansmith@gmail.com, May 28, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Please help us with a fraud situation

    We had some identity thefts situations with our credit cards and Bank
    accounts.
    People using our credit cards and writing checks against our account.

    How can I set up a really secure internet connection in my home ?

    I use a Windows XP - wireless laptop to access the internet I have
    in my home.
    We use Comcast cable.
    We have a WPA secure internet. We use a Netgear Rangemax MIMO
    and the Comcast modem.

    Somehow some people have managed to get both our credit card numbers
    and bank account numbers and even driving license number.

    I use this internet to access all our bank accounts etc.

    Because of the fraud that occurred, we want to make sure that
    we have a really secure internet connection.

    What additional hardware, software etc do I need, if any ?
    Since I am not a techie, pls help me with as much detail as possible.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Irfan Smith
    , May 28, 2008

  2. Barb Bowman Guest

    it is possible that the machine is already compromised by something
    you have downloaded. spyware, malware, phonehomeware, keyloggers,
    phishing. and it is possible that this is not computer related and
    is dumpster divers. if it is "wireless fraud" - what makes you so
    certain this is the reason?

    you should really disconnect from the Internet completely and turn
    off wireless until you resolve the issue. you should close your
    checking account and open a new one. same with the credit cards.

    have you reported to the police? called the 3 credit watch
    companies? start here

    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/

    No way of knowing what is on your computer so I'd start fresh. as
    for setting up a secure connection, I'd start with a clean computer
    (format the hard drive and start fresh with a clean install). I'd
    use Windows Firewall, a good anti virus, make sure the router had an
    enabled SP1 firewall, and I'd use WPA2 with a strong random key.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, May 28, 2008

  3. James Egan Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:07:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >I use this internet to access all our bank accounts etc.
    >
    >Because of the fraud that occurred, we want to make sure that
    >we have a really secure internet connection.

    The connection between your computer and the bank is already securely
    encrypted (by your browser and the bank's web server) regardless of
    whether your computer is wired or wireless so I wouldn't suspect
    that's the problem.

    If it is a wireless problem it is far more likely that someone has
    gained user access to your network and your files rather than someone
    listening in on your transactions. Use a minimum encryption of WPA-PSK
    with a long passphrase to prevent that type of unauthorised access.

    Likelier still is what Mrs Bowman suspects. Malware, keyloggers etc.
    Nothing to do with wireless.

    Jim.
    James Egan, May 28, 2008
  4. Hi
    It is really hard to explain on a newsgroup the whole gamut of issues, and
    how to deal with computer security.
    You should by reading a good book talk to knowledgably friends and or ask a
    security consultant.
    If after doing the initial legwork you have a specific question then an
    answer cam be provided in a forum like this.
    Technically it should start with this.
    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
    http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 28, 2008