Please help us with a fraud situation

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by irfansmith@gmail.com, May 28, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Please help us with a fraud situation

    We had some identity thefts situations with our credit cards and Bank
    accounts.
    People using our credit cards and writing checks against our account.

    How can I set up a really secure internet connection in my home ?

    I use a Windows XP - wireless laptop to access the internet I have
    in my home.
    We use Comcast cable.
    We have a WPA secure internet. We use a Netgear Rangemax MIMO
    and the Comcast modem.

    Somehow some people have managed to get both our credit card numbers
    and bank account numbers and even driving license number.

    I use this internet to access all our bank accounts etc.

    Because of the fraud that occurred, we want to make sure that
    we have a really secure internet connection.

    What additional hardware, software etc do I need, if any ?
    Since I am not a techie, pls help me with as much detail as possible.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Irfan Smith

    , May 28, 2008

  2. Robert Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:32:20 -0700, irfansmith wrote:

    > Somehow some people have managed to get both our credit card numbers
    > and bank account numbers and even driving license number.

    1. Simple DO NOT KEEP this information on your computer.
    2. Stop using a virus for an operating system (windows)
    3. Hire a security consultant to set everything up for you.
    4. Learn to secure your systems.

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Linux User #296285
    http://counter.li.org

    Robert, Jun 1, 2008

  3. Bob Drake Guest

    Let's see if I can be more helpful.

    I assume these were acquired through your computer. If so,

    1. It is better to keep your passwords, creditcard numbers, pins, etc. on
    your computer rather than on paper somewhere around the house. Make sure
    all of this is stored in an encrypted file. MS Excel and word have "Save
    As" features that allow you to save the file with read/write passwords.
    When one has access to 30 or forty systems with 12 character passwords, my
    memory bank fails me.

    2. Make sure your computer is protected with a strong password. Remember
    it as "My mother always gave me one instant cocoa every day" and then use
    the first character of every word to come up with "Mmagm1!ced" - this is a
    very strong password that would take months to crack - this is the key to
    your kingdom. Put a similar password on your encrypted file.

    3. Install a firewall - ZoneAlarm is good and it is free
    Install a virus checker - AVG is good and it is free. I put this on
    some client computers and it caught viruses that Norton missed - I'm sure it
    works the other way around as well.
    Install a spyware monitor such as Spysweeper or PestPatrol - these are
    not free. I bought a 3 copy license of Pest Patrol for $30 - no annual fee.
    I used Spysweeper for a while - nice piece of software.
    Scan your computer routinely with Spybot and AdAware - sometimes they
    catch things the active monitoring software misses.

    4. This is the important one. I ran a network with over 25,000 people on
    it and constantly trained new employees and reminded seasoned ones to not
    open e-mails of questionable origin. While the virus checker usually gets
    these, sometimes it does not. When the "I Love You" virus hit, one new
    employee opened it and it was contained and snuffed out. A looser
    organization, similar to mine, went down for two weeks with over 200
    openings. PRACTICE SAFE COMPUTING - Your best line of defense.

    Bob

    Bob Drake, Jun 4, 2008