    boot. Is there an issue with changing to an Intel system of this spec onto a
    HD with XP Home upgraded from Win98 and FAT32?

    Please help....

    Gorbag, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Gorbag

    Gorbag Guest

    Meant to say it does post. All system checks are OK. It`s only when it tries
    to boot the OS that it fails.

    Gorbag, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Gorbag

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:36:10 -0000, "Gorbag"
    <> wrote:

    >I was running an Athlon 1.2 with 512MB of SDRAM on a Gigabyte mobo. I
    >upgraded from Win98 to XP Home using the upgrade edition with no bother and
    >have been happily running XP for the past year or so. I left it FAT32.
    >
    >I wanted to upgrade. So I built a new Intel system using a P4 3ghz, 2x 512MB
    >DDR400 PC3200 DDR RAM on a MSI 865PE Neo2 mobo.
    >
    >When I boot the OS fails instantly. I can`t get XP to load at all. I can`t
    >see any hardware issue here and don`t quite understand why the OS won`t
    >boot. Is there an issue with changing to an Intel system of this spec onto a
    >HD with XP Home upgraded from Win98 and FAT32?
    >
    >Please help....

    You can't simply yank a drive out of one system and pop it into a
    different system and expect it to work.
    IF you had used device manager to remove all of the motherboard
    specific devices before the shuffle, you may have stood some chance.
    By far, the best thing to do is to do a clean install of XP on the new
    system.

    Harrison, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Gorbag

    °Mike° Guest

    What have you done? Just taken the hard drive out
    of the old system, and stuck it in the new one?

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:36:10 -0000, in
    <LwkOb.25396$9.net>
    Gorbag scrawled:

    >I was running an Athlon 1.2 with 512MB of SDRAM on a Gigabyte mobo. I
    >upgraded from Win98 to XP Home using the upgrade edition with no bother and
    >have been happily running XP for the past year or so. I left it FAT32.
    >
    >I wanted to upgrade. So I built a new Intel system using a P4 3ghz, 2x 512MB
    >DDR400 PC3200 DDR RAM on a MSI 865PE Neo2 mobo.
    >
    >When I boot the OS fails instantly. I can`t get XP to load at all. I can`t
    >see any hardware issue here and don`t quite understand why the OS won`t
    >boot. Is there an issue with changing to an Intel system of this spec onto a
    >HD with XP Home upgraded from Win98 and FAT32?
    >
    >Please help....

    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Gorbag

    Gorbag Guest

    Umm..yes.

    I thought it work. Maybe not. So I do need to do clean install. Would a new
    full verion of XP be advisable rather than installing Win98 again? I`ve
    never done a fresh install since I upgraded from Win98. Do you have to
    install Win98 again?

    Gorbag, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Gorbag

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, you will need to do a clean install. Windows XP will
    refuse to work if too many core components are changed.
    My suggestion is to partitions your hard drive; one for
    Windows 98 and one for XP. Install Windows 98 on the
    boot partition, and then install XP (full) onto the other.
    You will then be able to (dual) boot to either operating
    system.

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:58:55 -0000, in
    <4SkOb.25400$9.net>
    Gorbag scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Gorbag

    Gorbag Guest

    Doesn`t Win98 have a problem with over 512MB of RAM though? I don`t really
    want Win98 at all but would like to avoid having to fork out for another
    version of XP. If I FDISK and format do I have to do a full install of Win98
    before reinstalling the XP upgrade again?

    Yeech! I really hoped to avoid having to format.....

    Gorbag, Jan 18, 2004
  8. Gorbag

    °Mike° Guest

    No, not if you add MaxFileCache=524288 to the [VCache]
    section of system.ini . If you don't want Windows 98
    you don't have to have it -- it was just a suggestion.
    Whatever you do, you *will* need to do a clean
    install.

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:12:55 -0000, in
    <x6lOb.16346$9.net>
    Gorbag scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  9. Gorbag

    ICee Guest

    Gorbag wrote:
    > Doesn`t Win98 have a problem with over 512MB of RAM though? I don`t
    > really want Win98 at all but would like to avoid having to fork out
    > for another version of XP. If I FDISK and format do I have to do a
    > full install of Win98 before reinstalling the XP upgrade again?
    >
    > Yeech! I really hoped to avoid having to format.....

    Just put the XP upgrade CD in your CD drive and boot from it (you will
    probably have to change the boot order in the BIOS). Install XP; it
    will ask for the Win98 CD to confirm you have it and then it will
    install a full version of XP. Also, suggest you format the drive using
    NTFS rather than FAT 32.

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, you will need to do a clean install. Windows XP will
    >> refuse to work if too many core components are changed.
    >> My suggestion is to partitions your hard drive; one for
    >> Windows 98 and one for XP. Install Windows 98 on the
    >> boot partition, and then install XP (full) onto the other.
    >> You will then be able to (dual) boot to either operating
    >> system.
    >>

    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:58:55 -0000, in
    >> <4SkOb.25400$9.net>
    >> Gorbag scrawled:
    >>
    >>> Umm..yes.
    >>>
    >>> I thought it work. Maybe not. So I do need to do clean install.
    >>> Would a new full verion of XP be advisable rather than installing
    >>> Win98 again? I`ve never done a fresh install since I upgraded from
    >>> Win98. Do you have to install Win98 again?

    >>> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 18, 2004
  10. Gorbag

    Gorbag Guest

    Thanks for that. That`s what I`ll do.

    After I do one helluva back up.......

    Gorbag, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Gorbag

    ICee Guest

    Gorbag wrote:
    > Thanks for that. That`s what I`ll do.
    >
    > After I do one helluva back up.......

    You're welcome and good idea.

    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Gorbag wrote:
    >>> Doesn`t Win98 have a problem with over 512MB of RAM though? I don`t
    >>> really want Win98 at all but would like to avoid having to fork out
    >>> for another version of XP. If I FDISK and format do I have to do a
    >>> full install of Win98 before reinstalling the XP upgrade again?
    >>>
    >>> Yeech! I really hoped to avoid having to format.....

    >> Just put the XP upgrade CD in your CD drive and boot from it (you
    >> will probably have to change the boot order in the BIOS). Install
    >> XP; it will ask for the Win98 CD to confirm you have it and then it
    >> will install a full version of XP. Also, suggest you format the
    >> drive using NTFS rather than FAT 32.
    >>

    >>> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> --
    >> "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go
    >> by." Douglas Adams

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Gorbag

    Harrison Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:24:47 -0500, "ICee" <>
    wrote:

    >Gorbag wrote:
    >> Thanks for that. That`s what I`ll do.
    >>
    >> After I do one helluva back up.......

    >You're welcome and good idea.

    Thank God someone with some common sense stepped in!
    I was a away for a few minutes and I thought the poor son of a gun was
    about to set up a dual boot for absolutely no good reason.

    Gorbag, Also remember to not connect the freshly XP'd machine to the
    net without first enabling the built-in firewall. Then go immediately
    to the Windows Update site and download all critical updates and
    service packs.
    Congrats on your blazing new system! I'm a bit jealous :)
    <snip>

    Harrison, Jan 18, 2004
  13. Gorbag

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:00:01 -0500, in
    <>
    Harrison scrawled:

    >On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:24:47 -0500, "ICee" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Gorbag wrote:
    >>> Thanks for that. That`s what I`ll do.
    >>>
    >>> After I do one helluva back up.......

    >>You're welcome and good idea.

    >Thank God someone with some common sense stepped in!
    >I was a away for a few minutes and I thought the poor son of a gun was
    >about to set up a dual boot for absolutely no good reason.

    What is wrong with a dual boot system, doofus?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  14. Gorbag

    trout Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:00:01 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Harrison scrawled:
    >
    >> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:24:47 -0500, "ICee" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> You're welcome and good idea.

    >> Thank God someone with some common sense stepped in!
    >> I was a away for a few minutes and I thought the poor son of a gun
    >> was about to set up a dual boot for absolutely no good reason.

    > What is wrong with a dual boot system, doofus?

    Ah, the benefits of the pretend killfile. He can pretend that he
    didn't know that you'd already told the OP that it wasn't "necessary".
    When all you have, intellectually, is a pea-shooter; you gotta take
    a lot of shots.
    --
    "You'd think he'd *prefer* a dual-boot. One for each face."

    trout, Jan 18, 2004
  15. Gorbag

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:34:14 -0800, in
    <bucrbh$g2es5$-berlin.de>
    trout scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:00:01 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Harrison scrawled:

    >>> Thank God someone with some common sense stepped in!
    >>> I was a away for a few minutes and I thought the poor son of a gun
    >>> was about to set up a dual boot for absolutely no good reason.

    >> What is wrong with a dual boot system, doofus?

    > Ah, the benefits of the pretend killfile. He can pretend that he
    >didn't know that you'd already told the OP that it wasn't "necessary".
    > When all you have, intellectually, is a pea-shooter; you gotta take
    >a lot of shots.

    Yeah, he certainly likes to add bias with plenty of buck shot.
    It's funny that he keeps shooting himself in the foot, though.

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  16. Gorbag

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:44:10 -0500, Harrison pecked at a keyboard in
    panic:

    > You can't simply yank a drive out of one system and pop it into a
    > different system and expect it to work.

    Not so. I did it with Mandrake Linux 9.2. Booted first time, no sweat,
    with the hardware detected and installed during the bootstraping process.

    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 18, 2004
  17. Gorbag

    ICee Guest

    B.Al.Zeebub wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:44:10 -0500, Harrison pecked at a keyboard in
    > panic:
    >
    >> You can't simply yank a drive out of one system and pop it into a
    >> different system and expect it to work.

    > Not so. I did it with Mandrake Linux 9.2. Booted first time, no sweat,
    > with the hardware detected and installed during the bootstraping
    > process.

    You can also do it with Win95 and 98/SE (probably ME as well), but not
    with XP, unfortunately.

    ICee, Jan 18, 2004
  18. Gorbag

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:09:07 +1100, "B.Al.Zeebub"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:44:10 -0500, Harrison pecked at a keyboard in
    >panic:
    >
    >> You can't simply yank a drive out of one system and pop it into a
    >> different system and expect it to work.

    >Not so. I did it with Mandrake Linux 9.2. Booted first time, no sweat,
    >with the hardware detected and installed during the bootstraping process.

    I stand corrected :)

    Harrison, Jan 18, 2004
  19. Gorbag

    kerfoker Guest

    Gorbag wrote:

    > Umm..yes.
    >
    > I thought it work. Maybe not. So I do need to do clean install. Would a new
    > full verion of XP be advisable rather than installing Win98 again? I`ve
    > never done a fresh install since I upgraded from Win98. Do you have to
    > install Win98 again?

    No. If you have an upgrade winxp disk you can start with that. It'll ask
    to see your win98 disk (to make sure you have it) at one point before
    it'll continue its install.
    -Fred

    kerfoker, Jan 19, 2004