    I've tried and tried and tried and so far, no avail. Any and all help is
    greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Marc

    =?Utf-8?B?TUFJc3Rvb2s=?=, May 28, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TUFJc3Rvb2s=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The word Sharing is used for Sharing Internet connection, and Sharing
    Computer's Files and printers; however technology wise these are two
    separate issues.

    In order to Share Files your computers need to be Networked. If they are
    connected together to the Router's switch the computers are already forming
    a Network.

    In order to Share files you need to set each computer's File Sharing.

    Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions concerning Windows
    Network Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "MAIstook" <> wrote in message
    > I have a linksys wireless router connected to my cable modem. One desktop

    is
    > connected via ethernet to the router, a laptop has a wireless connection.
    > Both computers are connected to the internet. However, I can't get them

    > share files and printers with each other. How do I do this? I've seen

    tons
    > of instructions on setting up networks, but none that deal directly with

    my

    Jack, May 28, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TUFJc3Rvb2s=?=

    Joseph Byrns Guest

    Additionally you will have to open up the firewall to file sharing. If you
    are using XPs built in firewall then there is a standard option there to
    allow filesharing to work.

    Additionally Additionally, if you don't get it working by trying to connect
    using the computer name then try the IP address of the PC.

    Joseph Byrns, May 28, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TUFJc3Rvb2s=?=

    Joseph Byrns Guest

    In answer to you specific questions:

    >Do I have to share the internet connection, or will each computer connect
    >directly through the linksys router?

    No. As you say each computer goes straight to the router for the internet
    access.

    Does the workgroup name have to be the same as the router's wireless name?
    No. The router's name has nothing to do with the work group name.

    Do I leave firewalls on each computer turned on or off?
    See previous post. But if you turn it off completely that would be a good
    test.

    Joseph Byrns, May 28, 2005