Please help! System really slowing down

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Logo, May 8, 2004.

  1. Logo

    Logo Guest

    So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.

    Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
    a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
    I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my normal
    control back or if its still busy it gives me only very sporadic control
    back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the screen.

    It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
    been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as well.

    I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my temp
    folders and Internet files folder.

    Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
    improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
    ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with about
    5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound card. Also
    has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo and
    I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried going with
    a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.

    I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse and
    worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!

    Any suggestions? TIA

    Logo

    Logo, May 8, 2004

  2. Logo

    David Hough Guest

    I got bit by that sasser worm, and had to clean up my pc. Are you using
    up to date virus definitions? Using a good mouse? Try turning off the
    Norton antivirus

    David Hough, May 8, 2004

  3. "Logo" <> wrote in message
    > So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
    >
    > Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
    > a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
    > I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my normal
    > control back or if its still busy it gives me only very sporadic control
    > back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the screen.
    >
    > It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
    > been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as well.
    >
    > I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my temp
    > folders and Internet files folder.
    >
    > Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
    > improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
    > ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with about
    > 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound card.

    Also
    > has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo and
    > I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried going with
    > a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
    >
    > I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse and
    > worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
    >
    > Any suggestions? TIA

    First thing I'd try is booting in safe mode and playing around. If the
    system is fine, then you know the problem is with some program/driver/TSR
    that gets loaded at startup. If it's still sluggish, it's likely a hardware
    issue. I realize I'm stating the obvious here, but I can't think of much
    else. Hope this helps somewhat. :\

    Patrick Michael, May 8, 2004
  4. Logo

    Logo Guest

    David Hough <> wrote in news:t92dnerKWO1EqQDdRVn-
    :

    > I got bit by that sasser worm, and had to clean up my pc. Are you using
    > up to date virus definitions? Using a good mouse? Try turning off the
    > Norton antivirus

    I've been having problems way b4 sasser was born, and MS' site only
    lists XP and 2000 as sasser sufferers, nothing about 98. I've updated
    anti-virus and windows, but a friend mentioned I should update adaware
    although I couldn't find an option to do that anywhere.

    My mouse is clean, other than that do they go bad? I guess we all
    get old someday huh? :)

    Norton has been my buddy since day one, can't see how that could
    be the problem. Actually I've only received a message from Norton
    AV (other than updating) less than a handful of times my whole life.

    Logo, May 9, 2004
  5. Logo

    Logo Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in

    > "Logo" <> wrote in message
    >> So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
    >>
    >> Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
    >> a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
    >> I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my
    >> normal control back or if its still busy it gives me only very
    >> sporadic control back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
    >> been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my
    >> temp folders and Internet files folder.
    >>
    >> Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
    >> improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
    >> ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with
    >> about 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound
    >> card.

    > Also
    >> has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo
    >> and I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried
    >> going with a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
    >>
    >> I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse
    >> and worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? TIA
    >>

    > First thing I'd try is booting in safe mode and playing around. If
    > the system is fine, then you know the problem is with some
    > program/driver/TSR that gets loaded at startup. If it's still
    > sluggish, it's likely a hardware issue. I realize I'm stating the
    > obvious here, but I can't think of much else. Hope this helps
    > somewhat. :\

    That's the way I've been leaning, but since the remedy there usually
    involves $$$, I was hoping it could be saved. Previous system was a
    Cyrix 200+, so when I doubled to a 450 I felt like I was at Indianapolis!
    Been having dreams about 2.5's lately though....

    Logo, May 9, 2004
  6. Logo

    Logo Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > "Logo" <> wrote in message
    >> So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
    >>
    >> Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
    >> a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
    >> I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my
    >> normal control back or if its still busy it gives me only very
    >> sporadic control back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
    >> been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my
    >> temp folders and Internet files folder.
    >>
    >> Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
    >> improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
    >> ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with
    >> about 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound
    >> card.

    > Also
    >> has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo
    >> and I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried
    >> going with a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
    >>
    >> I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse
    >> and worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? TIA
    >>
    >> Logo

    > Device Manager, left click each item listed and see if there are any
    > yellow exclamation or question marks posted. If so, then remove the
    > items, reboot, let Windows attempt to install the drivers and see if
    > that improves anything. The other possibility is that two or more of
    > those devices have IRQ conflicts. You will note this if you then
    > return to the Device Manager, left click "computer"(the top item
    > listed)and then click Properties. When the new window appears, put a
    > dot in the IRQ selection and see if there are two items occupying the
    > same IRQ #. However, if you have an IRQ steering posted among other
    > devices for the same #, that's OK.

    Problems in Device Manager? Moi? How dare you! LOL

    Thanks for all suggestions guys. Guess I'm going with the hardware
    showing its age and just deal with it a little longer till the plastic
    gets more manageable. Gone from paying on 5 credit cards to only 3 now,
    so at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now...

    Logo, May 9, 2004
  7. Logo

    RussS Guest

    Try going into properties of My Computer and check "Perfromance" - make sure
    nothing is running in Protected Mode ... If there is that will make
    something that is kinda slow anyways run like a proverbial slug.

    RussS, May 10, 2004
  8. Logo

    AG Guest

    "Logo" <> wrote in message
    > So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
    >
    > Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
    > a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
    > I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my normal
    > control back or if its still busy it gives me only very sporadic control
    > back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the screen.
    >
    > It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
    > been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as well.
    >
    > I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my temp
    > folders and Internet files folder.
    >
    > Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
    > improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
    > ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with about
    > 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound card.

    Also
    > has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo and
    > I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried going with
    > a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
    >
    > I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse and
    > worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
    >
    > Any suggestions? TIA
    >
    > Logo

    Just a suggestion. Some systems about the age of yours had trouble with too
    much RAM. I know that sounds crazy but you might try dropping the RAM back
    below 96 megs. A BIOS update might take care of it IF you can find one for
    a board that old.
    Said in a creaky old voice "I remember when we had servers that were running
    on a 400 Mhz Pentium II."
    Good luck.
    AG

    AG, May 10, 2004
  9. Logo

    MF Guest

    I think the tip about Norton updates is a good one - it's happened to me,
    after months and months of good performance.

    Try another av program. Every one I've had, McAffee, Computer Associates,
    and Norton, has occasionally missed a virus (often older viruses, not a
    question of updating) with the exception of AVG - but I haven't AVG very
    long. One of them (McAffee) missed LaRue, whose specific function is to
    make the computer run progressively slower.

    Also, this is probably unlikely, but did you inadvertently turn on one of
    Microsoft's indexing programs? They will bog down older computers.

    good luck

    mike

    MF, May 12, 2004
  10. Logo

    Logo Guest

    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in

    > You mentioned Adaware, it does have to be updated, the update link is
    > on the initial screen when the program first launches. "Check For
    > Updates" its called. Also Adaware alone is not enough to clean out
    > spyware and such, try Spybot Search & Destroy as well.
    >
    > Norton can be the cause of the slowdown, make sure its up to date and
    > in fact it could very well have been fine, then an up date caused the
    > slowdown! The most recent involves the Microsoft Office plug-in. You
    > didn't mention which version of Norton you're running, but if 2003 ,
    > launch the Norton Window, click Options, go to Misc, remove the check
    > mark for the Office Plugin.
    >
    > Did the problem go away in safe mode? If so the next step is msconfig
    > troubleshooting. Start by running msconfig, choose selective startup
    > and uncheck all the options, reboot and see if the problem goes away,
    > if the problem goes away, add check marks one at a time till the
    > problem returns, and you'll have identified where you need to look.
    > Then click the appropriate tab in msconfig and start adding check
    > marks on the individual items until you can identofy the specific item
    > causing the problem.

    Device Manager is spotless, no blanks or double entrees or anything. Norton
    2003? LOL Remember I'm running a dinosaur here, its version 5.01.03, from
    1998. So no need to worry about the Office plugin, the option to choose
    isn't available for plugins. Adaware aint no spring chicken either, running
    version 5.83. That version doesn't have an update option. So am going to
    let SpybotS&D onboard to see if it will detect anything.

    There's not a whole lot of programs running at startup either, but will run
    through msconfig one more time anyways.

    Thanks for the help/suggestions all!

    Logo

    Logo, May 12, 2004
  11. Logo

    Nimrod Guest

    Did you look for a virus, or spyware?

    I hate paying for the subscriptions, but after bad experiences my main
    machine has both Norton Antivirus and Personal Firewall with the live
    update subscription.

    Norton has the best record in virus detection as far as I know. They
    are less spectacular with being a stable windows application. *sigh*

    In addition to Norton, AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy are good
    ideas programs to run on a regular basis.

    It's worth it.

    For the other machines in your Aplus lab, I dunno..f-prot for DOS??
    It's free.

    Nimrod, May 12, 2004
  12. Logo

    AG Guest

    "Nimrod" <> wrote in message
    > Did you look for a virus, or spyware?
    >
    > I hate paying for the subscriptions, but after bad experiences my main
    > machine has both Norton Antivirus and Personal Firewall with the live
    > update subscription.
    >
    > Norton has the best record in virus detection as far as I know. They
    > are less spectacular with being a stable windows application. *sigh*
    >
    > In addition to Norton, AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy are good
    > ideas programs to run on a regular basis.
    >
    > It's worth it.
    >
    > For the other machines in your Aplus lab, I dunno..f-prot for DOS??
    > It's free.

    AVG is also free and is a 32 bit Windows application, which F-Protect isn't.

    AG

    AG, May 12, 2004
  13. I have nothing to add on the slowdowns above what's been said, but I would
    vouch for AVG also. I've been using the free edition for quite a while, and
    my system has remained happily sterile for that period. It's also not
    causing me any slowdown.

    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    In case you want to check it out. I seem to remember they require an email
    address to mail your key though, and I've been receiving porn spam from
    "AVG" , so be warned and maybe use a junk account.

    Unless you greatley desire porn spam obviously! :p

    Bloke
    "AG" <> wrote in message

    > "Nimrod" <> wrote in message
    > > Did you look for a virus, or spyware?
    > >
    > > I hate paying for the subscriptions, but after bad experiences my main
    > > machine has both Norton Antivirus and Personal Firewall with the live
    > > update subscription.
    > >
    > > Norton has the best record in virus detection as far as I know. They
    > > are less spectacular with being a stable windows application. *sigh*
    > >
    > > In addition to Norton, AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy are good
    > > ideas programs to run on a regular basis.
    > >
    > > It's worth it.
    > >
    > > For the other machines in your Aplus lab, I dunno..f-prot for DOS??
    > > It's free.
    > >

    > AVG is also free and is a 32 bit Windows application, which F-Protect

    isn't.

    > AG

    ---

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 12, 2004
  14. No? Where do you go for yours? :p

    I started receiving all sorts of spam about 1 week after signing up for a
    messageboard discussing a MMORPG. Recently however, they claim to be
    from"AVG" as the sender. I also get some corking offers on viagra and Omaha
    Steaks!

    Lucky me :(

    Bloke

    "LadyTech" <spamhater@don'task.com> wrote in message

    > "Bloke_in_a_box" <> wrote in message
    > | I have nothing to add on the slowdowns above what's been said, but I
    > would
    > | vouch for AVG also. I've been using the free edition for quite a
    > while, and
    > | my system has remained happily sterile for that period. It's also
    > not
    > | causing me any slowdown.
    > |
    > | http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    > |
    > | In case you want to check it out. I seem to remember they require
    > an email
    > | address to mail your key though, and I've been receiving porn spam
    > from
    > | "AVG" , so be warned and maybe use a junk account.
    > |
    > | Unless you greatley desire porn spam obviously! :p
    > |
    > | Bloke
    > |

    > Strange because I never recieved any porn spam from AVG :)

    ---

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 13, 2004