    thing I did was try to install Norton ANtivirus trial edition and it said SIS
    error and by the time I rebooted my computer all my programs and files are
    missing. Can someone help me please.
    =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=, Oct 27, 2005

  2. It is weird how I can acess Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers
    but I cannot get into anything else on my computer./

    =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=, Oct 27, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

    Will Guest

    Tried booting up in Safe mode?

    Will, Oct 27, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Try doing a system restore (do it from run
    {%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe} if you can't access it from
    programs or help), then, Norton has a page on manually removing their
    products (you are not the first) which entails regedit, therefore backup the
    registry before you edit it.

    John Barnes, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Hi thank you for your responses, but John I can get into the RUN from my
    start button and when I try tyo type your code, and even the Norton manual
    Regedit it says:
    The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
    action. Create an associatoin folder in the folder options control panel.

    I am looking around google and finding Norton screwing up other peoples
    computers but this is crazy. Its weird how I can only access IE and Mozilla
    and all my icons on my desktop are all blank. ANy other suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=, Oct 27, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I am having a problem following your response. If you cut an paste the
    instruction between the {} and hit ok, what is your response? Then if you
    type regedit in the box and hit ok
    what is the response? Then go to the Norton support site and go thru this
    various pages and search for manual remove. Try a couple of alternatives to
    get the page that tells you the procedures to remove the product you
    installed. I know it is there, since I have had to do it in the past. Yes,
    all you have to do is search this site and you will see a basically negative
    tone to Symantec products. If they work they are fine, but a bad install or
    problem with the live update and it is a nightmare getting rid of it.

    John Barnes, Oct 27, 2005
  7. Hi John As I am typing I am on hold with Symatech for over 30 minutes, and
    their online supports telliung me its my computers problem but I know that it
    is their product that screwed up my whole system. When I tried to type your
    code it says:

    The file you have does not have a program with it for performing this
    action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.

    I cannot even get into my control panel
    I was able to get into safemode
    but my icons were still not working and I still cannot acess my computer
    folder, documents, help and support nothing!!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=, Oct 27, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Their support is useless, but I still think your best solution if you can't
    run system restore, is the manual removal process. This, however, will
    require that you be able to get into regedit. The manual removal process
    requires the removal of files and registry entries. Since you are probably
    early in the process of installing x64 based on your post, I would suggest
    that you consider just restoring the system, either with your computer
    restore disk or re-installing x64, and learn from your experience. Make
    sure system restore is turned on and make sure you have a restore point
    before each install. I personally would consider a full system backup at
    least weekly while you are installing new programs and Acronis 8.0 (maybe
    9.0) as recommended by Charlie.

    John Barnes, Oct 27, 2005
  9. Are you using the 64-bit version of XP?

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 28, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

    Will Guest

    Hi,

    You could try enabling the Windows Installer service while in Safe Mode.
    Then try uninstalling Symantec.

    Check out http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=990

    "Get into the command line and run REG ADD
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\
    Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /D "Service" net start msiserver" (taken
    from the link)

    Will

    Will, Oct 28, 2005