  1. I have a Belkin Router for WLAN that all surrounding neighbours can log into!
    How do I ensure that only those computers that I allow can use internet via
    my subscribtion???

    =?Utf-8?B?UnVuZQ==?=, Dec 28, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UnVuZQ==?=

    GeneM Guest

    Rune wrote:
    > I have a Belkin Router for WLAN that all surrounding neighbours can log into!
    > How do I ensure that only those computers that I allow can use internet via
    > my subscribtion???

    Use web browser to access router settings, with PC WAN-connected (not
    wireless) to the router. Access should be similar to access to my
    Linksys browser, likely even the same IP, 'http://192.168.1.1'.

    As from an earlier Post:
    From: "=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=" <>
    Subject: RE: keeps losing my wireless connection linksys WRT54GS dell
    lat d600
    Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:58:02 -0700
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless )

    2. In the [browser] “Address Bar†type http://192.168.1.1 and
    press Enter.

    3. A box should appear asking for a “User Name†and a “Passwordâ€.
    Leave the “User Name†field empty, and type your router password into
    the “Password†field (the default “Password†is admin) and click the OK
    button or press [Enter].

    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Likely make up a new router PW. If above doesn't start, browse Belkin
    web site for help.

    And you know, 'Read the Freakin Manual', even if on the install CD.

    The barrier for me is to find desired security level, but settle for a
    level that I can set on our laptop.

    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    For laptop,
    In Win XP
    Ctrl Panel ..Net sumthin ... Network Connections

    Choose the problem wireless connection, maybe right-click .. Properties,
    play with security settings.

    -- GeneM

    GeneM, Dec 28, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UnVuZQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Rune wrote:

    > I have a Belkin Router for WLAN that all surrounding neighbours can log into!
    > How do I ensure that only those computers that I allow can use internet via
    > my subscribtion???

    Sxee these links:

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

    Lem, Dec 28, 2005
  4. If this is just a home network and all you want to do is stop your neighbours
    from using your bandwidth, you can simply set up MAC address filtering on
    your wireless access point/router and just enter the address(es) for your
    computer(s).

    MAC address filtering is pretty crude (and easily spoofed) but will keep the
    neighbours out unless they really want to have a go!

    If you want to take it to the next level you need to configure wireless
    security. One option is WEP - not really considered secure (too easy to
    hack). WPA is much better (and WPA2 is out now, although not all APs/routers
    support it). I'd add to Lem's list of links with this one:
    http://blogs.technet.com/steve_lamb/archive/2005/12/02/415426.aspx. If you
    want a step by step reference of how I did it with my D-Link access point,
    check out
    http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/12/upgrading-my-wireless-network.htm
    and http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/12/securing-my-wireless-network.htm.

    </Mark>

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=, Dec 28, 2005
  5. set your router for wpa security.All you need to do is put in a pasword on
    the router and the same password on each pc job done and total security
    forget wep-it is garbage

    =?Utf-8?B?bWF2ZXJtaWs5OA==?=, Jan 1, 2006