Please help - one technical question...

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Vincent, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    Hello all,

    I have one technical question that I don't know to solve,
    please advise:

    Scenario:
    We send ICMP echo packets to a targeted computer and to
    receive the ICMP echo reply packet if the targeted
    computer is online. This can be done by using PING
    command. After issuing the PING command, we can issue the
    ARP command to check the Ethernet address that has been
    cached in our computer, thus establishing the IP address
    to Ethernet Address correspondence. But this approach can
    only handle single computer. For multiple computers, we
    will have to do it one by one and the process will be
    slow to scan ALL the computer in the LAN segment near us.

    We want a efficient solution for the above scenario, can
    you suggest one?

    Are there any tools available?

    Pleae help. Thanks a lot.

    Vincent, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Vincent

    Brat Guest

    yes... buy a Cisco router and let it do it automatically for you

    why in god's good name would you want to do this anyway? there can be no
    real purpose unless your employer gave you this task as a make work project

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Vincent

    Brat Guest

    The ONLY reason I can think that you are even doing this is for DHCP static
    addressing... so here are a couple of solutions:

    1. download a network scanner (etherpeek is one I think)

    2) create a script that will do it for you

    3) check network documentation - SURELY there must be some!!

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Vincent

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    How can I quickly find all the used IP addresses on my network?
    http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_find_used_ip_addresses.htm

    yabba dabba doo....
    "18 with a bullet!"

    "Vincent" <> wrote in news:a0d601c3eb0c
    $441a3910$:

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    I am Against-TCPA

    Rowdy Yates, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Vincent

    Bill Guest

    This might be of some help -

    http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/

    Bill, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    Thank you all of your valuable suggestions. :)

    They are very good advises. Thanks again.

    Vincent

    Vincent, Feb 5, 2004