Please help - one simple technical question

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Vincent, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    Hello all,

    I have one technical question that I don't know to solve,
    please advise:

    Scenario:
    We send ICMP echo packets to a targeted computer and to
    receive the ICMP echo reply packet if the targeted
    computer is online. This can be done by using PING
    command. After issuing the PING command, we can issue the
    ARP command to check the Ethernet address that has been
    cached in our computer, thus establishing the IP address
    to Ethernet Address correspondence. But this approach can
    only handle single computer. For multiple computers, we
    will have to do it one by one and the process will be
    slow to scan ALL the computer in the LAN segment near us.

    We want a efficient solution for the above scenario, can
    you suggest one?

    Are there any tools available?

    Pleae help. Thanks a lot.
    Vincent, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Vincent wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have one technical question that I don't know to solve,
    > please advise:
    >
    > Scenario:
    > We send ICMP echo packets to a targeted computer and to
    > receive the ICMP echo reply packet if the targeted
    > computer is online. This can be done by using PING
    > command. After issuing the PING command, we can issue the
    > ARP command to check the Ethernet address that has been
    > cached in our computer, thus establishing the IP address
    > to Ethernet Address correspondence. But this approach can
    > only handle single computer. For multiple computers, we
    > will have to do it one by one and the process will be
    > slow to scan ALL the computer in the LAN segment near us.
    >
    > We want a efficient solution for the above scenario, can
    > you suggest one?
    >
    > Are there any tools available?
    >
    > Pleae help. Thanks a lot.

    Try nmap.