    I know i can use the restore system but then i wld loose all the data,
    which i don't want to do. How can I make it work?

    Thanks
    cteq, Oct 4, 2003

  2. cteq

    EricP Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:45:04 +0100, cteq <>
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >My motherboard blew and instead of paying ridiculous price @ PC W***d
    >I decided to buy one and replace it.
    >
    >It seems to work, it starts OK, then I get blue screen saying the
    >system has been halted to prevent damage. Remove recently installed
    >hardware and then restart. or restart in last known working system.
    >
    >I also tried safe mode and even this don't go past AGP***** driver.
    >
    >I know i can use the restore system but then i wld loose all the data,
    >which i don't want to do. How can I make it work?
    >

    >Thanks

    Sounds like you have got clock frequencies unset on the board and you
    are in danger of frying the processor or damaging the memory.
    EricP, Oct 4, 2003

  3. cteq

    Stevo Guest

    cteq wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > My motherboard blew and instead of paying ridiculous price @ PC W***d
    > I decided to buy one and replace it.
    >
    > It seems to work, it starts OK, then I get blue screen saying the
    > system has been halted to prevent damage. Remove recently installed
    > hardware and then restart. or restart in last known working system.
    >
    > I also tried safe mode and even this don't go past AGP***** driver.
    >
    > I know i can use the restore system but then i wld loose all the data,
    > which i don't want to do. How can I make it work?
    >

    > Thanks

    Is the new board the same make/model as the last one? Still the same CPU?
    Still the same video card?

    Sounds like you just plugged your existing hard drive into the new
    motherboard and hoped it would work, but in fact there are most likely some
    major hardware differences - video card, I/O chipset and IDE controllers
    being the ones that are likely to cause you those sort of problems..

    It could be a hard one to fix, given that it won't boot properly.. my
    suggestion would be to read up on the differences between the two sets of
    hardware, and then try to resolve what might be able to be be done..

    Depending on your operating system and the media it is on, you *might* be
    able to do a re-install over your existing installation by using the boot
    from CD option..

    In the end the simplest solution (to make sure you don't lose your existing
    'data') might be to get a new drive, and put that in to the system (removing
    the old one completely initially) and then do a fresh install of the
    operating system of your choice..

    Then you can reconnect your old drive and your existing 'data' will be
    accessible. But you will also have to reinstall all your software -
    applications and games etc.

    There is a good reason why tech's charge money to do such upgrades.. a lot
    of it is about knowing the risks and pitfalls and how to get over or around
    them..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Oct 4, 2003
  4. cteq

    philo Guest

    Re: Please help! My motherboard blew up and i bought another onenow the XP dont boot

    cteq wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > My motherboard blew and instead of paying ridiculous price @ PC W***d
    > I decided to buy one and replace it.
    >
    > It seems to work, it starts OK, then I get blue screen saying the
    > system has been halted to prevent damage. Remove recently installed
    > hardware and then restart. or restart in last known working system.
    >
    > I also tried safe mode and even this don't go past AGP***** driver.
    >
    > I know i can use the restore system but then i wld loose all the data,
    > which i don't want to do. How can I make it work?
    >

    > Thanks

    unless you new motherboard is the same as your original there is always
    the chance windows will not be able to boot (as you've seen)

    all you need to do is boot off your XP cd then opt to do a *repair*
    installation
    it will reinstall XP over itself...but you will not loose your data,
    apps or settings

    you will have to reapply your updates
    and if you use ICS and it's the master machine
    you will prob have to rerun the networking wizard
    philo, Oct 4, 2003
  5. cteq

    cteq Guest

    Hello

    Thanks for replies.

    The motherboard is totally diff, ie not Packard Bell. Video, Modem,
    Sound and network cards are build into the motherboard.

    The motherboard has detected correct pocessor as it is automatic.

    Thanks

    cteq, Oct 4, 2003
  6. cteq

    Mike Guest

    "cteq" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > My motherboard blew and instead of paying ridiculous price @ PC W***d
    > I decided to buy one and replace it.
    >
    > It seems to work, it starts OK, then I get blue screen saying the
    > system has been halted to prevent damage. Remove recently installed
    > hardware and then restart. or restart in last known working system.
    >
    > I also tried safe mode and even this don't go past AGP***** driver.
    >
    > I know i can use the restore system but then i wld loose all the data,
    > which i don't want to do. How can I make it work?
    >

    > Thanks

    Check the power sypply specs! I've worked on a lot of PB's that had very low
    rated supply's.

    Mike
    Mike, Oct 4, 2003
  7. cteq

    cteq Guest

    How do i get into repair mode, I have XP home system

    Thanks

    cteq, Oct 4, 2003